Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Young at heart, and body
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, bike number two: 1981 Honda CB750

The plan is to turn it into a cafe, and I know this isn't quite the site for it but deal with it because I like the crowd here and DoTheTon and CB750.com both sucked.
Plan:
  • Remove stock headlight and blinkers
  • put gators on forks
  • trim fender
  • box up engine and send to buddy that will do it for beer
  • detab frame
  • design monoshock (either standard or perhaps under chassis like buell)
  • clip ons
  • new tank, thinking benelli 260, not sure
  • design subframe
  • build subframe and seat
  • smaller headlight
  • sell old parts
  • 4-1 exhaust
Here is the goal:

I am looking for a frame bracing diagram I saw somewhere but can't seem to find anywhere not, if you all happen to have one for similar frames I wouldn't mind, as always feel free to give me suggestions as it goes.

Kyle

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Hey, bike number two: 1981 Honda CB750

The plan is to turn it into a cafe, and I know this isn't quite the site for it but deal with it because I like the crowd here and DoTheTon and CB750.com both sucked.
:worshipcf:

CF is always the right site. Subbed.

·
str8 stoopid
914 Posts
subbed for old s'cool awesomeness. DTT does suck crowdwise but there's some awesome tech articles on there. I've run into the same thing with the KZ forums. Too many purists get butthurt you don't want to build a full restoration. Maybe I should move mine from the cafe forum to this one.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Subbed. Let's do it.

( and... In before J. :) )

As far as the frame bracing, these double hoop frames are actually pretty decent. The backbones are already heavily braced in stock form. I've got an '80 F with some additional bracing I can snap a couple pics of.

Any plans for the front end? Just a FYI, CBR F2 and F3 share all of the steering stem dimensions as these bikes, except the stock stem is longer. So those trees will go on with an extremely simple stem swap. No spacers or machine work needed.

Oh, and this place is all about stripping them down and making improvements. Your build fits in perfectly.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Heck yea i'm in

G

·
I like the plan so far & am looking forward to seeing it progress

Heres a frame brace plan for you, this is on a gs frame but its tried trusted & works on Honda's too :)

C, D & E on a stock twinshock frame or just C & D on a monoshock with D providing the place to mount the top shock mount ...... you can use the other braces or similar but unless you are going for big power imho the extra weight isn't justified

·
Young at heart, and body
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a FYI, CBR F2 and F3 share all of the steering stem dimensions as these bikes, except the stock stem is longer.
I'm trying to keep this one cheap, so I would have to find a pretty good deal on the F2/F3 forks to be worth while, I'm more interested in inverted forks though tbh. If I found a stem match on those I would be tempted, but I want to keep spoked rims.

The stock tank is growing on me, I might paint it and see what I think after before buying a new one.. Looking into buell under chassis suspension if anyone has an extra shock laying around haha

I look off all of the stock headlight and blinkers and fender today, looks 150% better already, i'll post a picture tomorrow for you all. Can't wait to get the frame sorted out with my welder and get started.

Update: Heres that pic.

Like I said, this one will be a "quick build" only lasting about 2 months, hope not to rest too much between items on the to do list

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Anyone looking to sell a shock that doesn't use linkage? I would rather buy one on here than from eBay etc just to support the community.
I think I've got one in the garage. I'll check after work tonight and send you a PM either way.

·
Young at heart, and body
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my mechanic said the engine is shot. The last time it was ran it got really hot and the cylinders started to pit out while the engine was apart..
aka - the same price to get a new one as the work it would be to fix it.
That being said - looking for a new engine - prefer stock but if you know of common engine swaps for this that are pretty basic I would be interested.

edit - I looked into parts and it looks like itd be cheaper to get replacement parts so we are getting a list and hopefully I will have a complete engine soon

1 - 20 of 62 Posts