Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1225 Posts

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is my first bike. I bought this bike over a year ago for a cheap, "quick" fix up and ride. The bike was stretched and "hardtailed". The PO had replaced the rear shocks with metal struts. I rode it and realized very quickly that it had a charging problem. I installed the factory swingarm, bought some used shocks, and replaced the alternator rotor. Of course I didn't take any pics during this process. I had the bike good to go, getting ready to ride, checked the valve cover bolts and.....snap!! Broke a cam holder. Oil every where!! And that's where these pics come in:

They were actually for a craigslist ad. I was fed up and had decided to sell it.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Jmartin1110's CB750f Build

So it sat for a long time and I was looking around, one day I stumbled on a site full of modified versions of these bikes and I decided that I couldn't make it any worse. It already had a 5.5" wheel on it with a 180 tire, but I wanted something different. I originally decided on a cbr900rr wheel and gsxr750 swingarm.

As you might have guessed, the axles are WAY different diameters. Wound up with a matching gsxr wheel. Also got a set of cb900f front forks and cbr600 f2 front wheel.

Here is a mock up with the gsxr swingarm and cbr wheel

Before:

After:

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I decided to keep the dual shocks and found a set of Ohlins knockoffs. I got some mounts welded to the swing arm.

I also bought a custom, uncoated exhaust. I painted it flat black with a high heat enamel. Hopefully it will hold up. A lot of purists say that its wrong to put any other color on these bikes but original colors. I and my wallet disagree. I chose a satin gm like blue with a white racing stripe down the center.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is a view pics of how it sits now. It is entirely too low for my taste. I just new set of fork springs (original ones are shot), and risers for the rear. There is still a lot more to do so expect more!!

·
Registered
118 Posts

Like it so far. As for height, what is it that you don't like about it? Just the look or is the exhaust giving you problems. On mine the new fork springs did lift it back up quite a few inches. You thinking risers on the rear and raised triples for the front?

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts

Hey man. Bike looks great. Keep it coming

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Like it so far. As for height, what is it that you don't like about it? Just the look or is the exhaust giving you problems. On mine the new fork springs did lift it back up quite a few inches. You thinking risers on the rear and raised triples for the front?
Yea I'm afraid that the exhaust is going to hit every time I hit a bump. I'm hoping that the new springs fix a lot of it. When I set the bike on the ground it dropped a lot and has a lot of slop in it.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

As of right now I have a set of risers in the mail, a set of progressive springs, I just picked up a pressure operated brake switch to get rid of the spring operated one. A dual set of projectors and possible a integrated tail light are in the works. I also have to get the chain on ( very important) and rebuild the front calipers. I took this weekend off from the bike to spend some time with family and I have to go play Army next weekend since I'm in the National Guard so hopefully I will have so more progress to show the weekend after that.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got some parts in the mail this week. Risers and springs are here. Caliper rebuild kit is on the way for the front. Got some blue anodized aluminum spools for the swing arm to help with maint. My brake switch finally showed up and I am also waiting on some new fork caps to get rid of the factory air line. Won't be around the bike till next Saturday so I will get some pics up then.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm gonna try and get some wrench time this weekend. I plan on repainting it as well. I'm gonna paint it the same color just do a better job. I will make sure and wet sand between coats and do a better job of laying the stripe. Anyone have a recommendation of the best grit to use? Also...the package that was supposed to have my new fork caps arrived torn and empty!! Contacted the company and they are send me a new set 2nd day air!! Also plan on getting matching high heat paint and painting the valve cover clutch cover etc etc

More to come

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

New fork caps are here. Picked up some indigo metallic paint. It's a really dark blue that gm uses. Also got some gloss black for the motor. Gonna get the chain on the battery recharged and try and rebuild the front brakes. Hopefully get to finally hear what my new exhaust sounds like!!

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ImageUploadedByMO Free1365994534.788238.jpg

I still have to wet sand apply another coat, wet sand again, apply clear, and polish. This is my first attempt at this kind of painting so I hope it comes out okay.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Got some work done. Got the new springs in. Huge difference!! Also did some small stuff like put on my cool crankcase breathers on, pulled off my sprocket cover, and test fit the f3 fender. I still have to paint it and the side covers and wet sand and clear it all. Please don't laugh at my paint job and let me know if you can't see the pics.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1366498052.324124.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1366498079.534835.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1366498100.932960.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1366498134.818158.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1366498151.474213.jpg

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Plans in the very near future include cleaning the engine and painting it black, cleaning the calipers and painting them...I'm not really sure on the color...any suggestions? I have a new headlight on the way..7" of course!! I'm thinking about installing a green LED kit that I have laying around...what do ya'll think??

1 - 20 of 1225 Posts