Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I think whatever "bent" those forks is also bending the door frame, the gutter and the corner of the house. ;)
So you're telling me this 81 XJ750 project can bend time and matter?!!!!

Good eyes "shinyribs" :D

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The concentrated 80s in this bike has actually compressed and warped local space, resulting in a portal to the 80s, and a slight fisheye effect on my camera phone. New front tyre fitted for $150, and the new fork seals, and that should be me all set for getting it legal, at least cost wise. Everything else can come from my stockpile of "toys"

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
look it up in the manual and go 5w higher for the days you stop off for a pie and cheese rolls

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
If it ends up you your legs are bent, I have a spare set I could let go cheap.
When translated into "shipped to NZ" "cheap" equals extraordinarily expensive.... :) :fu:

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Okay, running into dramas. Got the cap off the forks, spring out, but I can't take off the lower bolt. I also can't put a 19mm Allen socket down the forks, as the Internet suggests. Anybody got any ideas? Getting a little frustrated here.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I'm up to the point where I need that tool to hold the damper assembly, but there's no internal hex on the inside of the fork stanchion. Do I just have a weird set of forks or something?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
No idea, never took mine apart, just took em off. Ask the guys over at http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?forums/ - never had an issue they can't sort out.

Can you maybe help me with the issue I've got in my discussion thread? Would need the first half of your VIN.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah I'll take a peek. Destroyed my laptop this weekend, so I can't upload the new photos, but it was a productive day. Got the side covers and tail light mocked up and cut out the left hand side out of .6mm sheet. Going for a semi fastback tail, with SV650 tail lights. Gonna solder up the speedo adaptor this week, finish off rebuilding the forks, new front tyre and brake pads, etc etc etc. Lots to do!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
On my SOHC CB forks there's no way to grab the dampers inside the forks to hold them. We stick a broom handle ( or other non-marring object) in there to hold the damper while releasing the retaining bolt. Which is at the very bottom of the fork leg inside the axle divot.

Don't know if the same would apply to your bike, but I hope this helps somehow.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts