Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Chopped down broom handle is the winner! Got the forks in pieces but I need some heavier fork oil. Atf is about 8w, way too light for this beast. But I've almost finished cutting the side panels out of 1mm sheet steel, once the hinges for the access panels are done they're ready to be fitted. Pics this weekend.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Been dicking around at work between jobs, made up my side panels and now they're ready for final modification before fitting. Hopefully forks will go back together today, and then it's just a new front tyre and brake pads and it's ready to roll, if not legal.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Still stuck without internet, but here's how it sits. Just needs lights, the seat recovered, and the headers welded and she's good to go.

·
1,152 Posts
All you need is black football shoulder pads and a crossbow and you will be tearin up the waste lands on that madmax special!!:)

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
All you need is black football shoulder pads and a crossbow and you will be tearin up the waste lands on that madmax special!!:)
Son, I'm from New Zealand. Shoulder pads are for small children and particularly effeminate women.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Been ages since I've had a computer and the ability to actually write up a story, so I figured I'd go through piece by piece since I last saw you all.

I started by stripping all the paint off the fuel tank and front mudguard. As expected, there's a lot of dents and bog, but I kinda like the bashed up tank.

There were at least 4 layers of paint, between the black, yellow, primer, and eventual red of the original paint. Luckily the neglect of the previous owners didn't stop there! The inside of the handgrips had a bundle of snot looking shit, and the clutch lever had been used without a pivot bush, so had worn through and fucked the perch.

I toyed with the idea of having an SV650 tail light, I liked the general lines but it made the bike look too long.

I like bouncing around between tasks on a bike until I hit something that sparks my mind. Here's a comparison of the original clocks and the replacement ones.

Initial plan was to have the sidecovers replaced with these slick bare steel ones, which necessitated fucking with the seat a little to make it all flow nicely.

A couple old ammo boxes graciously donated their hinges for my cute little mesh sidecover things to make sure the battery doesn't fall out.

And, result!

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
With the forks rebuilt, I threw them on and attempted to fit the brake calipers. And promptly broke one of them. Turns out you need a weird spacer washer on the back, because the mating surface of the brake mounts on the forks isn't machined flat. Whatever, either machine an adapter to fit my Triumph two pots to it, or get that bit welded back up, and on to filling the forks with my custom fork top tool.

Sidepanels on and looking acceptable, and I whipped the plastic guard off so that I could use the steel underpiece as my guard. Little rough but completely acceptable, seeing as it's only going on for the half hour it takes to ride to the testing station. Then it comes off, and the entire back end gets stripped, chopped, and smoothed.

I found a muffler on the side of the road, and somehow the ID was perfect for my headers. A sign! A sign from the heavens! It's got literally zero muffling, it's just an inner tube with an absorbent outer tube, so I've got to muffle it down a little. And change the angle of the headers a little.

While I was away, I got to buying things online. New indicators, a new clutch perch (didn't fit, cunts), and two cheap LED number plate lights. While I was out picking up a new battery, I noticed a wall of aftermarket parts for the Skyteam Chinese bikes the store was selling. All of them were surprisingly cool, but I especially liked this little bobber style seat I saw. So, I bought it. Means all my work making the side panels was wasted, but what the fuck. It's not like I paid for the steel.

Seat mounts took all weekend, but they're solid now. I'll get some closer photos once the paint has cured and I'm ready to start buttoning up that area. Still have to paint the underside of a couple things.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm now on to headlights. I figured either the 5in Street Triple headlight, this 6in Pinzgauer headlight with no bucket, or the twin spot headlights Henry sold me (for way too cheap). Thoughts?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Like the round better, projectors seem a little too modern for this. :D if that is an actual thing. It always seems to me there is a lot of space that needs to be filled on the front with the little projectors...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Will it make them look like a 6" round lamp? :D

It's your bike, so go with the vision in your mind. I've just never seen twin spots that I liked. Purely personal opinion, of course.

I'm digging the side covers, though. And I typically hate mesh side covers ( see it too often on the CB 750 forum I'm on where everyone does it on their "bobber"). You made that look good, so I'm in it too see what you come up with next.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Cooler to the side, projectors stacked, and carbon fiber number plate ala Bott xr1?...... I could dig that :)

Projectors above the cooler mounted horizontaly would make it look like a weird face type of thing...

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, that's a Beemer. That said. Holy fuck this thing is pretty much the ideal 80s muscle chop donor. Why is it not used more often? I've knocked together the headlight mounts at work, done a little painting. Gonna throw them together tomorrow then hopefully start wiring the gauges.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I built a hardtail 81 xs650 for a buddy years ago. Hard part was figuring out how to make it so you could still get the rear hub off for service, since he opted to weld to the swinger rather than totally get rid of it.
Mounted a larosa solo bobber seat and some drag bars. Really comfortable seating position for me. IMHO the tank has great lines for a hardtail/bobber style bike.

To date still my favorite bike to ride.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts