Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. i ended up with a free gs550 the other day. and its in about as good of shape as that price dictates. from what the po told me it has been sitting for over 20 years. have got it running pretty nicely but will still need some tweeking. hoping to teach the lady how to ride with it too
plans thus far are
delete absolutely everything i dont need to make it move and stop.
wire chop and hide.
gs750e front end
16 inch front wheel
clipons
possibly monoshocked.
it has a 16 inch rear wheel with drum brakes and id like to retain that but monoshocking may require me to swap swingarms and it would be easier to just use the 17 that came with that swingarm. that would give me disk brakes in the rear too. we shall see though
4-1 header and shorty can.
the smallest and lowest seat i can fit in with a cafe or squared off tail only big enough to fit the smallest battery i can get my hands on.
maybe rearsets
coil relay mod
that is probably it for now
onto some pictures

tire rot all the way around

all but 6 wires of this will be deleted

sweet air filters bro

pile of "optional" parts the factory included

tempting

should be a lot higher at the coils. did the coil relay mod and it now sees 14 or so when its running. spark is so much brighter now. i can post videos showing the difference if anyone would like

yum

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. and im sad to say thats the 7/10 covered up in the back

·
Registered
222 Posts
sweet, another gs aircooled build. Kai is about to get his greedy hands on a 550 frame.
I have the swing arm/disc brake setup and wheels from my 78 gs 1000 if you want to switch to disc..

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am on the lookout for an a/o so we will see what happens.

started working on the seat.
cutting foam down

didnt like how it was coming out so decided to start fresh

wasnt going to let me low enough so start from scratch

seat template

trying to decide between clips and dirty bars. opinions?

welded up the frame

decided to use this to make my seat. its hard rock maple

little time with the file and

means of attatchment

through the tank and frame with a spacer and a nut on the botton

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welded up some bars for it. still need to make a rear mount for the seat. cut up the electrical. actually pad and cover the seat. figure out a front brake master. still need tires but may have that covered. suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Man that looks good. Simple and clean. Cruise craigslist for some take off race tires, cheap.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
havnt done much to it lately. chopped the top triple up. shaped it. smoothed it. baked on some paint. clipons. new front tire.... again. cleaned up the wiring but i think i will be chopping the wiring down to only what it needed to get it running and then make an add on harness for the lights. love the stance and how it feels to sit on it.

top trip midway through

shit picture of the top trip after paint

front end now

stance

still need to make a battery box. finish the carbs/intake/exhaust. and seat.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grabbed that kerker 4-1 header off my old gs750 that went through the flood. Primary's are spaced too far apart and the part that slides into the head is too big of a diameter so I chopped the flanges off that header and chopped the ones off the stock header.

Welded sleeves onto all the stock flanges

Bent the primaries on the new header and slid them on. Very tight fit. Tacked them and then welded them up.

Ugly welds but they are strong.

After some grinding and hammer and dolly time to shape the mid pipe I welded it like this

Super tucked.

And some Bmx pegs on the swing arm pivot bolt. Super comfy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
raised the front end back up and mounted the clipons below the top triple

thinking i may raise the rear end or the back of the tank a bit and add a few inches of padding to the seat before i cover it. not sure yet

G

·
I like everything about that apart from the seat height have you thought about chopping the seat rails a couple of inches ?

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any lower and it would be uncomfortable to ride honestly. But I'll figure out more as I go

Tore into the carbs as I got a dynojet kit. They are much dirtier than I remember them being. And me with nothing to clean them with

1 - 20 of 20 Posts