Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures speak for themselfs. I'll let the pics do most of the explaining. Passionate desire fueled this bikes purchase, it is the gasoline on the fire that keeps me working on it. I have the utmost respect for this factory superbike and can't imagine changing what it was meant to be, a raw and gritty performance machine.

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
So if you're really only interested in cleaning it up and tastefully modding it (I probably described it wrong, but I understand what you mean anyway.), I might suggest some of the simple (or not) things, like finishing the welds on the rear shock mounts, cleaning up various bits and pieces of casting flash, etc...

Basically, take it from "assembly line Honda" to "hand assembled one-off creation based entirely on a true to era Honda superbike".

Lots of tedious work at 1 am in a dark basement, but hey, if you want it pristine... :rock:

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
yeah what christ said.

who needs a cbr1000rr when you have something with soul like that beast.

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got into it some over the past few days and cleaned some of it up, did a little to the carbs, still needs ALOT of cleaning. Dirty, dirty slut. I'm gonna wheelie and powerslide this thing until the wheels come off! :D

I had some new hardware for the carbs, looks better and gets rid of those pesky phillips head screws! I hate stripping those out and having to break out the drill. :(

Bodywork, damn it's nice lookin'. Sure is a shame I wasn't old enough to be riding then this beast was brand new.

Adjustable suspension kicks ass. ;)

Some misc. others I took. It's been down, no need to stay stock, just can't stray too far from the original theme of such an iconic muscle bike.

I'll update this as I get time, been trying to keep the other stuff updated but it's just getting to be a hassle more than a benefit unless I'm unwinding from a long week having a few beers. So if I go a week or two without update, expect something big like this. ;)

-Rat

·
4,869 Posts
That paint looks damaged but buffable... keeping it or going with new paint/same scheme, diff colors, or what?

Reactions: RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much planning on keeping to the paint job and factory body lines as they are very specific to why I have a love for this bike in the first place. I do however feel that an of the era superbike styling with number plate and all is in order. I'm feeling like this bike needs to be molested without the sawzall. ;)

I've been building ratfighters since 2004 and I'm sick of hacking 'em apart. I want to resurrect one for a change. I want to do real justice to this machine rather than my usual building style. If you have seen my other builds you can understand why I am feeling this way about this bike.

Stock is for pussies. Superbike preps are few and far between. We all know the latter option is the way any of us would take.

-Rat

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
this has to be one of your most prosing builds yet.

(besides the road rash bike OF COURSE)

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbsup:

I tend to put my actions before my words, instead of saying "I might be doing this!" I say "Look at what I'm doing with this!". I've been building 2 wheel'd machines since I was 9 or 10 years old. Started with BMX bikes and quickly got really good at part swapping. The last 5 years have been practice and the CB360 project is reflective of the professionalism I convey in my builds. 100% of what I am doing is spot on, no cut corners, no half assing it either.

If I disappoint anyone when I show up in force to a fighter get together with a trailer full of sick bikes, you may want to get your pulse taken because you ain't breathing! My professional quality and attention to detail will be put to the limits with the KZ and 1100 projects. One so different it will be a flagship of ingenuity and the other so clean you could eat breakfast off it while beating up on 20 year newer machines at a track day. :D

CB update:

The wiring took a hard hit in the crash when the guy hit the deer so now it's down to going through the harness clip by clip and finding where it's not getting power and where it is. Gotta get working on the title paperwork with the original owner (been talking to him since the bike was purchased) and get things rolling on the new title and transfer. I'll tell ya, I never take a bike without a title except with this one guy, he has been great the whole time!

Brake cleaning is next on the list. They are pretty gummed up!

-Rat

·
199 Posts
Amazing looking bike.
I didn't realize the cult following for the 1100F 'till I got mine.

Glad to see you're keeping it semi-original. Those old muscle bikes are just plain bad ass, and the colors/lines are a true classic.

Never seen a chin spoiler though.

Keep a post on updates.

·
270 Posts
Thread subscription started :D

I'm so glad you're not trashing her but restoring her to her former glory..

My pet hate with old iconic bikes is seeing them stripped for spares/parts as people think they will make more money that way.. There is a place near me which strips down old Z650's.. Yer it might be handy for me for parts, if I need them, as they are just down the road but the majority of the time they are stripping down runners.. And that just breaks my heart :(

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The belly pan/chin spoiler deal is an original part from Honda from what I have been told by the previous owner but I'm not too sure if that is correct. It looks damn good on there though, it really compliments the SuperBike attitude.

So as I previously stated its got some tasteful bits here and there on the bike and I have been itching for the first fire so badly that I got out of bed this morning and have been in the garage all day since. The end result makes my spine tingle and my palms get sweaty. :D

-Rat

·
Customfighters UK
4,350 Posts
fucken yeah mate old skool sexyness!!!!! looks good to start with so should be mint when its restord dude keep up wi the pics

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news again! The PO found the title and a nearly brand new counter shaft sprocket! Passed 'em on to me today! Signed and ready for transfer. I'm now the full owner of this '83 CB1100F. :D

Oh yeah, gettin' a '78 XT500 dropped off tomorrow too. If only my life was as easy as aquiring bikes...

-Rat :D

·
4,869 Posts
I high five you for the XT... but on the inside I'm really like :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Em'Effer.

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I high five you for the XT... but on the inside I'm really like :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Em'Effer.
I know how you feel, been down that road alot in my life and somehow, things just worked out in the last few months!

The guy I got the CB360T from offered the XT500 to me after I emailed him with pics and video of what I had done to his old bike. He said he is loosing interest and time for the XT and wants to see something great done with it. :D

-Rat

·
4,869 Posts
So wait... you're saying if I actually finish a project (yeah, right LOL) and show the previous owner what I've done with it, they'll just shoot me another project like that, and completely free?

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

ok, I'm just going to blame it on luck... that's all the props you're getting. :p

Although, I did get my 3 wheeler free... so that's not so bad.

Reactions: RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:LolLolLolLol:

Yeah, that's how it works. :D

I'm as stupefied as it gets. There is no rhyme or reason to this madness at all. A year ago I was begging the universe to throw me a bone here and just let me have a bike again after a year without. I got kinda depressed seeing my buddies out riding and turning wrenches and it pained me to have a garage full of parts and no machine. I suppose I went kinda nuts and accepted any and all offers of bikes I could and here we are.

I just put the word out I was looking for bikes and the next thing you know, everyone I know is telling me where they had seen a bike for sale or where they had found one sitting next to a barn. It took some searching and a few blank missions but I finally got my hands on a few bikes for cheap and sometimes free.

-Rat

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, after many a mornin' having a smoke and drinking my 5 cups of coffee :lotsocoffee: out in the garage staring at the "big lady" I have been taking a mental note of the needed parts and the nessesary components to get this monster machine back on the road and singing her silhouette like tune, enveloping me in the sound of satin. This bike will sing.

To DO:

Brake: rebuild/pads/fluid

Engine: plugs/oil/filter (Going to talk to our Amzoil dealer ;))

Electrical: battery/starter/gauges

Body: gas tank cleaning/front cowl/headlight

The shifter side driver peg is fucked, gotta get a new one, repack the muffler, and take her for a spin once I get some new rubber under her. Not too much all things considered. It'll add up but being that I had a few parts on the shelf it reduced cost to well under the original summary. I'm thinking about $450 being that it needs but doesn't require fork seals just to get it out a few times to test it.

I'm confident that over the course of the next few months I may be able to generate the means nessesary to rebuild this bike to a former state of glory. :D

-Rat

1 - 20 of 172 Posts