Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
441 - 460 of 575 Posts

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
I sent my cad file off to the machine shop for a quote on water-jetting. The guy who runs the machine said "ill cut it for you no charge and ship it over tomorrow". I was expecting him to say " its not cost effective enough for us to cut that little part". I guess he just worked it in with something else!

·
KatBuilder
371 Posts
I sent my cad file off to the machine shop for a quote on water-jetting. The guy who runs the machine said "ill cut it for you no charge and ship it over tomorrow". I was expecting him to say " its not cost effective enough for us to cut that little part". I guess he just worked it in with something else!
The really question should be, is he giving you an "A" cut or just buzzing it through as fast as the jet will cut? I've seen some serious deflection on fast cuts.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
The really question should be, is he giving you an "A" cut or just buzzing it through as fast as the jet will cut? I've seen some serious deflection on fast cuts.
So much truth. That's the difference between me and one of our other waterjet guys. One guy refuses to set up the dynamic head and cuts material as fast as he can. Even on the thicker stuff. It gets absolutly nasty at some points.

As long as its sheet metal then its hard to fuck up. Anything over 1/4 inch thick will take a little more patience.

·
KatBuilder
371 Posts
the head on the machine compensates for the taper and they usually set me up, but its only .125" thick so its pretty hard for him to mess it up.
Thats good...I'm used to working with an older jet that doesn't have good compensation on the jet head.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
Thats good...I'm used to working with an older jet that doesn't have good compensation on the jet head.
they just got a new one. Ive had things from 1" to 2" thick aluminum but and it was horrible to say the least. The new machine is butter though! Parts didnt show today but maybe tomorrow:LolLolLolLol:

·
KatBuilder
371 Posts

he came through! now i just need to tap the holes, then pull off the "exciter" plate and modify it and the bolt slightly so my new engine cover will be flush.
Looks great! I used to laugh when our new CAD guys would draw up a part like that knowing it needed to be tapped and then would specify laser instead of our jet. Took 'em a while to figure out why they kept breaking taps;)

·
KatBuilder
371 Posts
I hear you...I'm usually the same way. Too many bad experiences with operators that "thought they were being helpful" by offsetting a hole the wrong way, etc.

I got some good news yesterday...finally got a big enough job through the door to let me go upgrade my welder. Trying to decide between a new Miller Syncrowave 250 DX, a Lincoln Precision TIG 275, or if I'll have to settle for a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 or the Syncrowave 200. Oh, the tough decisions in life. Honestly, the Lincoln 225 seems like the best value, but I wonder if I'll regret no going bigger down the road.

·
Mornin!
28 Posts
loving the fighter build did you have to use off set sprockets as i am having lots of trouble with putting 600 bandit front and rear wheels using the gpz swing arm and will have to use front off set sprocket. how easy was it to put the gsxr rear end on did you have to use any off sets?

Cheers for your help and goodluck with the build!

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
thanks mdjb. yes i did have to use offset sprockets. Im running a 5.5" rim with a 180. If your running bandit 600 stuff you will have a 160 on there right? The first time around I made a custom offset sprocket that had 5/8" offset. Stock the gpz had some offset to it. There was a company willing to do a small run of custom offset 530 sprockets for the gpz and I got in on that group purchase. These were stock offset sprockets so Im currently running a shim behind the sprocket. To do this I had to modify the stock CS nut and loose the stock style lock washer. In its place i made this which screws into the sprocket.

The gsxr swingarm wasnt too bad. I was able to use the inner sleeve from my gpz arm and replace the inner sleeve on the gsxr arm for the pivot at the frame. I had to mod the arm a little because of some case clearance issues. I also had to make a few spacers because the gsxr arm was slightly more narrow than the gpz. And of course make some suspension linkage which was the hardest part. GPz links mount on the bottom of the arm, the generation gsxr arm i have mounts to the top. Ive heard 96+ arms are a little easier but dont have experience with that.

Here is a document that might help you out.

http://www.750turbo.com/zx6_rear.htm

its a zx6r wheel swap(5" rim) into the stock swingarm.

·
Kilted Rider
486 Posts
loving the fighter build did you have to use off set sprockets as i am having lots of trouble with putting 600 bandit front and rear wheels using the gpz swing arm and will have to use front off set sprocket. how easy was it to put the gsxr rear end on did you have to use any off sets?

Cheers for your help and goodluck with the build!
here's a link for an offset sprocket...

http://www.americanclassix.com/streetfighter_conversions.html

·
451 Posts
Great to see this turbo set up coming along. A while back I showed my brother your gpz and he about flipped out. Couldn't believe the transition.

·
161 Posts
441 - 460 of 575 Posts