Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this. I figure there are people out there who have great ideas for where I should go with this.

Update: 8/13/2011 :CK187:
I have taken the bike apart, chopped the subframe, removed the exhaust for paint stripping, and repainted the motor satin black to make it look more natural again. I am currently stripping paint from the tank, where I will be painting it silver. I'll uploads pics once I get a few more to give you an idea of the changes.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright. I had about an hour to work on it today. Most of my time has been spent deciding on direction and such and researching things while at work. I painted the tank with some engine spray I had lying around. Nothing serious, just figured if you're going to go all half-assed flat black engine paint I might as well finish it up until I get all the parts I want and the mods done before stripping it off and painting it how I want.

I ripped off the front fairing today and then decided I couldn't wait for my headlight to come in to ride it so I wired everything back up and used some metal wiring to hold the headlight on with a bungee as backup. Stuck the mirrors back on in a very strange temporary fashion just to stay legal.

I have to go get a new battery for my drill, new blades for my saw, and a wheel stand, and the fun will start again this weekend since a lot of my parts should have come in by then. I also did some scouting for some local shops to have work done. Found an upholstery shop that I'll be sending specs to for a quote as well as a paint shop that I saw stickers on a bunch of show cars with all kinds of crazy airbrushes. I'm going to look around the forums since we have some badass artists, though, and might be sending some items to them for painting. Have to fund their projects somehow. For the next few months I'm going to focus more on cleaning the dirty bastard up, though.

·
Bazinga!
2,604 Posts
Keep up the work man. Starting to look really good.

·
Bazinga!
2,604 Posts
have you looked at ratfighters gpz? there is some awesome inspiration there.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My phone takes 8 MP pictures that are something like 3,500 pixels by 5,500 pixels and so paint screws up the images a bit when I try to resize it.

The new headlight. Relocated wires and light control unit.

Painted the tank. Painted the engine with black satin to cover up the flat black engine paint. Removed a large portion of the subframe, but have not gone to grinding on what's left, I'm waiting to see how everything will fit together. I decided today that I was going to use my existing tail and set it up similar to a cafe tail. Yes the exhaust pipes are currently painted with the 2000 degree rustoleum crap, but I was curious and wanted something to stick out on the bike. I actually like it, I might have to find some better paint. The tank was gorgeous before I started it and and the tank built up pressure inside and shot gasoline out the cap and ruined the clearcoat. I'll be fixing that later.

Up next. New grips, painted fender, new valve cover gasket(leaking all kinds of bad), and hopefully a sexy fiberglass tail.

Powdercoating/Custom rearsets/new pegs/Professional paint planned for this winter when impatience won't get the best of me.

·
Bazinga!
2,604 Posts
i like what you are doing with this but the tail at the moment doesnt flow with the tank IMO. but at least you are doing work with what you have.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i like what you are doing with this but the tail at the moment doesnt flow with the tank IMO. but at least you are doing work with what you have.
I'm going to round off the edges and do a fiberglass cover and undertail, I was looking at the pictures and thought the same thing. I just needed a shape and I wanted it to go with the current frame lines and I already had the tail. Once it's curved I think it should match up nicely with the tank. Thanks for your input, keep it coming!

This fiberglassing stuff is harder than some of the forum members make it look but far easier than I was expecting it to be. I'm just hoping it comes out alright.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
please don't do the nuts thing. as funny as they may seem in your head they actually look really fucking stupid. liking the direction you're going though!!

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I started working on the bike again now that life has calmed down. Decided to tackle a stator rebuild. Found shitloads of build-up in the stator and the bike when I removed their respective covers. There's some type of weird white shit on the chain and the whole channel in there has this goop. I have since degreased the engine and scraped all the goop in the chain area. I think I'm going to have to remove the chain and let it sit in the parts cleaner before oiling it up properly(i'm assuming it needs to be handled like a mtb chain in that regard).

In short, I could've bought a much nicer bike for the cumulative cost of everything I've spent on this bike plus new tools. At least if I ever get tired of it I can grab a sand buggy frame, bore the motor out to 1530ish CCs and set it up for a sand dune wheelie monster.

I've been trying to research ways to tune this DFI system since it has aftermarket exhaust(however lame it is).

I got 90% of the way through the stator rebuild, but am stuck trying to figure out how to replace the pieces that are in the endcaps. I don't have the brain power to figure out how to remove them, and have sworn not to resort to hammering shit out of frustration yet.

Friday I shoul be receiving an SV1000 tail/subframe to put on this thing. Makes me happy!

Cheers. Pics to come momentarily.

EDIT: Have to attach them...new server isn't hosting them correctly.

Attachments

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Nice mate, I almost bought myself one of them beasties but ended up with a gpz750 instead. Sometimes wish I hadn't...
Keep it up mate!

Reactions: Shifty Rabbid

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Nah I wish mate. It's just the '82 model GPZ750....

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok so I plan to take the bike over to get a new subframe welded on it. I need to dismantle it so I can fix this fucked up excuse for paint I shall call rattlecan overspray. I'm trying to make a plan to get the motor out, but it has to weigh in around 400 lbs I'm sure.

I want to use this portion of the rs125 tail and finish up the rest with fiberglass. My paint plans(if I can figure out this giant motor removal thing) will be black motor. Zombie green frame. GM Graphite paint on tail and tank with hopefully a custom zombie green seat.

The tail should hopefully sit just a little higher once the new tubing has been run and the frame has been cleaned up.

Should I remove the motor, front end, and subframe before taking it to the shop to have a new subframe welded? Or just take the whole thing to them. I had originally planned to have new mounts fabricated to mount a newer sv1000 tail on it, but I changed my mind when set the rs125 tail on the tire just to get it out of my way and started looking at it.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the ridiculous exhaust and updating it to something I like. I was also thinking about the room that could be gained via going to pod filters. Is there a way to re-program the DFI system on these old Kawasakis? All information I've found in research has been lackluster and less than informative.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posting something mustapha said here so I can have it easily accessible to me.

The Z/GPZ motors are all pretty much the same, the main variation with yours is the 18mm gudgeon pins and different shaped combustion chambers in the head. Carb conversion is easy, oilcooled GSXR carbs fit, the ignition housing needs to be swapped for an earlier model then you can fit a Dyna 'S' ignition system and Dyna green 3ohm coils with the earlier mechanical advance unit, which is much more reliable than the OEM stuff after 30 years of service.
Bandit 1200 swingarms slot in easily, requiring very little other than some sleeves and spacer making up. Any front end you want will slot in with a simple stem swap required.
If you need any info just ask, I have been building these motors for many years, and run an 1170cc version myself with Yoshi cams and Mikuni RS flatslides.
A 530 chain/sprocket conversion is available which will make life much easier for you, especially if you swap running gear over. Offset front sprockets are also available to run a wider rear wheel. I run a GSXR1000K4 6 inch rim in mine, along with a GSXR K series radial front end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts