Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this little gem to keep me busy this winter. I have a turbo thats been sitting on my shelf waiting for the right motor. Stock hp is 64hp my goal will be 100hp to the wheel with a weight goal of #400. Starting boost will be 7-8psi to get some base numbers then headstuds and 15psi and up till I make scrap.

Attachments

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Been toying with the idea myself lately, don’t know if this may help but have been told that using the oil to cool the turbo from the motor may be a problem for the motor, overheating oil-starvation etc….another problem I have which you may not, is that my turbo is oil & water cooled…no water, I have an air cooled motor.

Worked it out and in the long run it’s a more practical design anyways, am adding separate oil and water tanks with pumps, just for the turbo. So nothing for the turbo comes from the motor….
Found some 12v low amperage constant use electric pumps on the net plus some really trick pit bike radiators…all up 2 pumps, radiators, tanks, timer, gauges, and some lines…about $250ish.

It solved my problem of feeding the turbo oil from the motor and also the problem of where the hell I was going to get water from to cool the turbo as well…

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on still running my oil cooler in line before my turbo then scavenger pump back into the dipstick hole. Just because the turbo is water cooled does not mean you need to plumb them in oil will more than suffice.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Worked it out and in the long run it’s a more practical design anyways, am adding separate oil and water tanks with pumps, just for the turbo. So nothing for the turbo comes from the motor….
Found some 12v low amperage constant use electric pumps on the net plus some really trick pit bike radiators…all up 2 pumps, radiators, tanks, timer, gauges, and some lines…about $250ish.

A big factor on any motorcycle is if the charging system can keep up with an electric pump. Some of them have an amp draw equal to the output or in excess of it, effectively starving your ignition of power and resulting in you chasing what seems to be a fuel issue rather than a lack of electrical power. Abandoned more than one turbo project over the years due to the lack of sufficient amperage from the stator. If I remember right most 70's Honda's utilize almost every ounce of power from the stator to power the ignition and lights alone, adding almost anything else becomes a drain on the battery and strains the rest of the system until it just quits on ya. Best of luck though, a rewind on the stator may just fix that issue.

I plan on still running my oil cooler in line before my turbo then scavenger pump back into the dipstick hole. Just because the turbo is water cooled does not mean you need to plumb them in oil will more than suffice.
On almost every Suzuki engine I've ever seen from about 1978 to the late 90's there is a pressurized oil gallery behind the plug screwed into the casing, under the ignition pickup on the clutch basket side of the engine. Clean, cool, constantly pressurized oil just waiting for a feed line to be run from it to the turbo! Ultra easy to tap a line right off it. ;)

You can see the steel braided line provided by ProBoost on the side of my Bandit running to the top of the turbocharger:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Ben! I might run a log manifold so I can get away with a gravity feedback. Seems the prerut has kicked in here in northern wi so my attention has shifted slightly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ratfighter do you any idea what type of pressure comes out of my cooler line? The placement of the lines are perfect but would still like to run a cooler before the turbo

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
If I remember correct the oil cooler is run under a pretty low amount of pressure and plumbing the turbo into the system can end up with dramatic drops in feed pressure from time to time, as you could guess that would likely result in damage to the turbocharger itself.

A quick article that mentions the oil being pumped to the cooler itself being "low pressure":

A great way to get cool oil to the turbo is to run a small oil cooler inline between the feed fitting on the side of the engine and the turbo itself. Seems the pitbike/playbike market has exploded with cheap parts, oil coolers being one of them. I would assume that you could fit one of these into the mix without much hassle. A banjo bolt on the engine and the turbo would bolt up the ends of the lines and tidy up the whole thing pretty well.

Pitbike oil cooler

I never really asked, but are you going with a draw through, a blow through, fuel injection, or some crazy TBI sort of concoction? The locations of certain components can become rather troublesome in some setups.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I'm always up for some riding, and drinking, and talking bikes/cars/trucks/etc. :D

Thinking I should make it up your way sooner than later. Us Wisco guys building bikes should stick together and show the rest of this country how we do this out in the hills. After a few years of hard times I'm back on my feet so to speak and things are going well. I've always got a running/riding bike on hand now, and the means to transport it great distances to have a little bit of fun. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts