Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike ran perfect last year. Haven't got her running this summer yet, put jet kit in carbs, and an aftermarket fuel filter. Assembled bike yesterday with new battery.. she cranks hard, and runs for a second with starter fluid so spark is good. I don't think she's getting fuel and don't know why. All filters are clean and jets are new. Can anyone help with troubleshooting please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I adjusted floats. Ran it off a bottle and it's running, but dies when I turn choke off hesitates when give throttle.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also, after you are sure there is gas in the float bowls, set the idle mixture screws to 2.5 turns out and try again.

Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hesitates at very little throttle but when choke is on and rpms are up throttle response is good.

Set air/fuel screws to 2.5... Not any better. Where are the pilot screws located?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated. I'm running uni pods and did some research h and read not to put stage 3 jets in like it says to, but keep stage 1. Tried that and it didn't work at all. Bike would run with choke on, but that's it. So I took the bowls off the carbs and went ahead and put 118 main jets and turned my air/fuel mixture screws out 4 turns. Set my idle low, and she's purring like never before. Great throttle response, great acceletation, and sounds really good. For anybody who plans on doing the same mods, I am also running straight pipes so that's gonna make a difference with carb tuning. I also re-routed my fuel lines with an inline filter because I wasn't getting any fuel from the tank. I took the valve out and removed the o-ring and put it back together and in the tank and also get better fuel flow than I ever have before. All in all she's screaming down Texas highways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tsukuyomi- removed gauge cluster so no tach or speedo right now. But the idle wasn't set right to begin with I had forgotten to set the idle back after I re-jetted.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Glad to hear you got it working!

Must be a dynojet kit because 118 mains are tiny for a 1200.

I bet it sounds pissed with pods and open pipes!:rock:

Jon

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Awesome! May want to go up in pilot jet size so you can get some of your a/f mix screw adjustment back. If it runs good though may not have to worry about

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't get the pilots out, they're pretty stuck in there... So I reassembled and it's running really good the way it is even though my mixture screws are so far out. So until I run into an issue i think I'll leave it alone for now. I will post a video but I think I'd have to upload to YouTube then post link. Or can I go straight through the forum? I only see attach image.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And yes, it was a dynojet kit. I was gonna go with 144 mains if I couldn't get it running right but it's doing good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The main jet has just about nothing to do with starting and idle. It really only kicks in above 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Float height or plugged pilot jet is my guess.

Jon

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
May have to upload on YouTube and add link here for vid. Piloet jets can be a pain. I've had to get some out with hammer tapping and turning a screw drive at the same time.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Im not familiar with your particular carbs, but some carbs will have an emulsifier tube underneath the pilot jet. Those are two things that if not cleaned will never allow your bike to have proper low speed manners.

Stripping the carbs and boiling them in even just plain water tremendously helps to loosen stuck jets. A little 409 in the mix helps out even more. Not a hard boil, just simmer for 10 min or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts