Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided this winter to StreetFighter my Gixxer. I think it is coming together great. I think it will be road ready in about a week. The first set of pics are the original restoration.

This is how I originally got the bike.

This was after my restoration project.

So far I have tried to use all my old parts to manufacture the new parts. Brackets, Fenders, tailpieces, ect. I cut 6 inches off the subframe and used the original seat cowl as the tailpeice. I fasioned a taillight assembly from led lights I got at WalMart. I had the tank acid etched and lined. I put on dirtbike bars, and the most expensive part if the bike, The front light assembly.(E-bay 90 bucks)

here are some in progress pics

Stuff yet to do. Wrap the exaust, Paint, re-shape the front pan, and get the seat covered. i will be riding it as soon as I get the seat covered though lol.

Hope you like my project.

Calvin.

P.S.

I am new to this site, and you guys rock!!!!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
NICE BIKE!!

i've wanted to build one of those pretty badly. we had one at my work for a while totally nakkid...looks like your doing it justice. looks good man.

WELCOME TO THE SITE CALRC

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Thats kinda funky but cool. The way the tank fits, a lower seat would look great on that bike. I like it man, good work

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sevenpointsixtwo said:
That's going to look cool once it's done! Are you going to paint the headlight unit to match, or keep the carbon look?

I'm thinking of a base metalic silver and streach some fish net material over and laying doen some dark grey or black, for a carbon look. Then finishing it off with a candy. Not sure which colour yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ammadien said:
Looks really good, any daylight pics?

Nate

Pulling her out of the basement this week. I will post some daylight pics after that.

Thanks

Calvin

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i heart 1st gen gixxer's :D

looks sweet man! makes me wonder what i was thinking when i sold mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ammadien said:
Nice, where did you find the headlight?

Nate
It was an e-bay find, I believe it is a scooter light. It arived broken, I repaired it myself because there where no more avialable.

pic of broken light thingy.... a little thick CA aka Krazy Glue and I was back in business. Hopefully it can handle the vibes.

Thanks

Calvin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Pulled the project out of the basement today. I altered the original stock seat to fit the tail section (Pssssst.. dont tell the guys on gixxer.com I cut up a perfectly good stock 86 Gixxer seat) I am getting the seat covered in the morning. I think I will fire it up this weekend and see how it feels. I haven't named it, yet I think it looks alot like a bulldog big and beefy in the front with a little rear end. I remember a bulldog named Chopper from some cartoon when I was a kid (billion years ago) he looked out for this little duck Hmmmmm!!! yacky duck or something like that I'm gonna google it now its bugging me...) tick tick tick... Haha !!! Yakky Doodle

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/Yakky.html

I will call it "Chopper" I like it. not a chopper just Chopper. it fits for so many reasons.

Laterz

Calvin

·
Registered
167 Posts
I way dig the name, and the the work you have done. I am working on an 89 gsxr750, Nice lookin bike man...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chopper's Story..

I was in the market for a new project. I had some space in my store that I wasn't really using, so I let a buddy rent the space for a couple months to try and start a music store. Instead of charging him cash he gave me 2 bikes for 4 months of rent. a 1982 Suzuki GS-400e and Chopper. ( I am riding the 400 right now while I work on Chopper) Anyhoo the deal was originally for 2 months and 1 bike. I went to his place we loaded up the 400, he had some parts in his shed as soon as he opend up the shed I saw the tail light of what I knew was an 80's Gixxer peaking out from under a dusty tarp. I pulled off the tarp and instantly fell in love. It was in rough shape, tons of missing parts, broken parts everywhere. He told me this bike has been in his shed for 10 years. Originally it was a race bike, one day it was hotwired and stolen. (if you look at the original pic you can see the belts in the rear tire showing) The Police found it hanging in a tree from the clip on's. Amazingly enough the frame was not bent. I asked him if I could take this bike and give him another 2 months rent. He said I dont think it's worth it but ok. So I made 2 trips home that day. My wife looked at me and shook her head when she saw this yellow hand painted peice of crap in the garage, and left it at that. (by the way my wife is the best wife in the whole world she actually listens to me when I say what I need, and she buys me parts for christmas and B-days) I tore it down, sent the chassis to the local bike shop for tires, carb kits, and a whack of labor.(props out to Austin Sports Centre for doing and awesome job) $1200 later I got the call..... all I heard was the meanest sounding engine I have ever heard. It was running. I managed to find all the parts I needed to finish the project from one guy off E-Bay. After paint and assembly I took it out for a run. 1100 cc's of Holy Hell!!!!!

I got it home and my wife coulden't believe her eyes " This is the same bike" I spent the summer pampering my new toy, but something was wrong something didn't feel right, I coulden't put my finger on it.

A copy of Super Streetbikes answered all my questions. It was a special on streetfighters. There was a flat black bobbed tail CBR I am pretty sure it belongs to a member in this forum. I knew then what I had to do. I stripped down my nicely painted Gixxer, stood over the subfrme with a hacksaw for what seemed to be an hour, thinking about where exactly should I cut. 6" was the magic number. it took 15 seconds to cut the tail down, 15 seconds of pure horror, 15 seconds of what the hell am I doing. The peice came off, I took 3 steps back and thought to myself " God Damnit if that doesent look totally F***ing awesome" and the rest they say is history. It took 15 seconds of labor and Chopper was borne. The story continues every day.

Thanks Guys!

Calvin

P.S. The bobed CBR was the BladeRod http://www.pbase.com/rotaute/image/48307094.jpg
This was my insperation.

·
410 Posts
Calrc said:
...P.S. The bobed CBR was the BladeRod http://www.pbase.com/rotaute/image/48307094.jpg
This was my insperation.
BladeRod was my downfall as well....

The bike is looking good. I always liked the old air cooled gixxers. I think I would have had a hell of a time cutting up the stock sub...I know it's a classic and all....

Not real sure if I'm into the mini fairing/ headlight. Maybe once it's all painted, it might tie it all together!

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
cool story!

if you ever need any 1st gen gixxer parts, i have a few still laying around from my old one, and i know a local with 4 or 5 of them in his garage (and a MINT 750 ltd in the living room!) with enough "spares" to build a few more.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts