Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1986 GSXR 1100 endurance racer at a police auction and I have been struggling with plans for the bike for quite a while. I finally decided to build a really fast street fighter and I thought it might be fun to track my progress with you guys. I actually started on it about a week ago, but I can easily catch you up as its been a slow week. As you can see in the pics, the bike has some very expensive components and is an awesome starting point for a great fighter. The first pic is the bike as it sat the day I brought it home. The next few pics are close up's of the goodies.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have moved since I bought the bike and these pics are recent. This is the bike as it looked when I brought it in the shop last week. I am taking this slow and easy as time and money allow. I do plan to have the bike ready to ride for summer. If I learned anything up to now, its that I have to clean out the shop and organize my shit.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These pics are as the bike sits now. I am just beginning the tear down and inspection phase. The bike does run, but it needs some TLC in the engine department. As you can see, I removed the tank, oil cooler and plastic. I also pulled the forks and triple clamps. The upper triple clamp was a BITCH to get off. It took about 2 hours of gentle tapping with a rubber mallet to finally work it around and off. I have a 03 Triumph Daytona that has been sitting around for several years. I might try to fit the forks and triple clamps from the Triumph to the GSXR, I will just depend on the work involved. When the time comes, I might also try to graft the tail from the Daytona to the GSXR. Again, the juice will have to be worth the squeeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case you don't watch the news, a winter storm shut down everything in the south east, so today has been productive. Sometimes the best ideas come with beer. Normally you don't start building half way into the tear down, but I wanted to see how much work it would take to fit a 03 Daytona 955i front end to the bike. Much to my amazement the Triumph triple clamps bolted straight to the frame using the top bearing from the GSXR and the bottom bearing from the Daytona. I had to modify the steering stop a little bit, but that was easy. This will accomplish 2 things, first, the suspension will be much better because the Daytona is a more modern bike. Second, I will not have purchase another set of triple clamps because I don't want to alter the original triple clamps. I should probably mention that I am fully aware that the forks from the 03 Daytona are not exactly cutting edge, but they are what I happen to have laying around and they are better than the original 86 forks. I immediately began mating the risers to the triple clamps. I am taking material off the risers to match both the pitch and roll angle on the tipple clamp. both risers have to fit perfect and they have to be identical. This will take some time, but I think the result will be worth the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks good so far! Any idea what your going to do about the tail/seat? Im doing a katana 750, and the seats are just sooo ugly!

Have you set a time frame for this? Maybe aiming for completion by spring?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking at 3 possibilities for the tail. Option 1 is to cut the factory sub frame off and mount the entire subframe and plastic from an 03 Daytona 955i. If I go this route I will most likely adapt a Black Widow undertail exhaust to go with it. Option two is to leave the factory subframe and mount the Daytona plastic and seat. This is the most likely option because I do not want to alter something on the GSXR that can't be changed back. If I go this route I will either use a carbon fiber exhaust or a R&D Yoshi vintage can that I have. The 3rd and least likely option is to use the factory plasitc, and cut it to make it look a little more racey. The only way I would use option 3 is if I am just flat out of money and I cant get the Daytona plastic to fit on the GSXR subframe. Like you, I absolutely hate the old flat side tail of the 1st gen GSX and GSXR. I am most definitely looking to have this thing rideable by spring. I may end up just putting it back together with no powder coating and just prime the bodywork, but at least it will be on the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been working on this upper triple clamp all day. After about 14 hours of work the construction is complete. I will powder coat it later in the build, but it's done for now. I knew this was going to be labor intensive before I started, but I underestimated the difficulty of this process. I ended up going back and forth several times taking off more material than originally planned trying to make both risers identical, and still fit perfectly. I also had to make a couple of bolts because the ones that came with the risers were way too long. Lastly I had to make a couple of angled spacers for the bottom because the triple clamp is tapered on the bottom side to. I ended up using some JB weld to fill in the imperfections in the fit between the risers and the triple clamp. I am also hoping this will add some strength to the overall design. I am gald that's over.

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Pm wheels, pm calipers and a super sexy fucking JMC Swingarm?!

Subscribed like a mofo...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nice swinger dude ive got one of them on my cbr!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was walking along a fence at a police auction and I saw the handlebar sticking out of the weeds. I went over and saw the PM chicane wheel and JMC swing arm, and about had a heart attack. I sat the bike up and saw all the PM parts and other good stuff. I causally asked the auctioneer if the bike was for sale because it did not have a lot number. He said it had been laying on its side for a year or more and asked me what I would pay for it. I jokingly said 100 bucks and he said, "DEAL, that way I don't have to pay someone to haul it off". So....Yes, it was quite a find, the kind of thing that never happens to me. I took it home and really started looking at it. The exhaust has some kind of ceramic exhaust temp equalizer, I have never seen that on a motorcycle before. Those PM front bake rotors are 13". One rotor was missing two float rings, but Ian at PM got me two new ones for 10 bucks each. The rear brakes didn't work, so I will re-build the caliper and I might have to swap out master cylinders. Just for fun I put some seafoam in the tank, and changed the oil before I tried to start it. I put a battery in it and the damn thing fired right up and ran perfectly. That was back in about 2007. At the time I really wanted to restore it back to a racing bike, and I just haven't done anything with it since then. I finally decided just to build a street fighter out of it, so I am excited to see how it turns out. Today I made some progress with the tear down. I am probably going to pull the engine pretty soon and change the gaskets and paint it. I will also have to do some extensive work to the wiring harness and spend some time cleaning the frame and swing arm. I plan to put in new bearings and then it will be time to start putting this thing back together. I can't wait

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things are progressing nicely. This is going to be a very simple build, no major engine work or fabrication is planned right now. I want to keep things simple for my first build, and most importantly, under budget. The tear down phase is winding down and the only thing I found broken that I cant fix is the right side rear motor mount. Right now I am watching one on ebay and I will probably pick it up. The next few days, possibly weeks are going to be spent cleaning and painting. The entire engine is covered in 28 years of baked on grime. I changed my mind about pulling the engine and painting it...for now, I go back and forth a couple of times a day. I think I am going to leave it in the frame and just clean the hell out of it. I might pull the cylinder head cover and paint it. For the paint scheme I have in mind right now I am thinking a dark metallic blue. For now I am working on the engine covers. I have been working on the Yoshimura crank case cover that was on the bike. It was pretty beat up, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to save it. It's been a lot of work to sand down the casting and carve out the Yoshimura symbol again, but I am satisfied with the results so far. I am pretty much done with the sanding, and with a few more rounds of polish I think it will look pretty descent. I am going to fill in the Yoshi symbol with red high temp pain and seal it up so I don't have to keep polishing it. Once it's finished I will probably do the same thing to the other engine covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow the attention to detail on that bike is spectacular. I LOVE the piece that covers the oil cooler, almost like a motocross style radiator shroud. I am going to make something like that from sheet metal and use it on my bike. I also love the subdued look, no polish anywhere. I am going in a slightly different direction with my bike, I am going to polish all the engine covers on my bike, even the valve cover. I may still paint the frame, but it would be with a wet black powder coat, same as the swing arm and triple clamps. That way the only thing polished would be the wheels and engine covers. I absolutely love the silver on black flames. I was thinking about a very similar paint job on my bike, but I would use some lime green accents on the flames. Time will tell, that is a long range target, and right now I am still shooting the ones I can see. I have finally decided to go ahead and cut the subframe, largely due to snowboarderro's design on the mounts. I was very nervous and welding aluminum, but now I have a design that will allow me to bolt the mounts the frame, which gives me the flexibly to change plans in the future.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I was walking along a fence at a police auction and I saw the handlebar sticking out of the weeds. I went over and saw the PM chicane wheel and JMC swing arm, and about had a heart attack. I sat the bike up and saw all the PM parts and other good stuff. I causally asked the auctioneer if the bike was for sale because it did not have a lot number. He said it had been laying on its side for a year or more and asked me what I would pay for it. I jokingly said 100 bucks and he said, "DEAL, that way I don't have to pay someone to haul it off". So....Yes, it was quite a find, the kind of thing that never happens to me. I took it home and really started looking at it. The exhaust has some kind of ceramic exhaust temp equalizer, I have never seen that on a motorcycle before. Those PM front bake rotors are 13". One rotor was missing two float rings, but Ian at PM got me two new ones for 10 bucks each. The rear brakes didn't work, so I will re-build the caliper and I might have to swap out master cylinders. Just for fun I put some seafoam in the tank, and changed the oil before I tried to start it. I put a battery in it and the damn thing fired right up and ran perfectly. That was back in about 2007. At the time I really wanted to restore it back to a racing bike, and I just haven't done anything with it since then. I finally decided just to build a street fighter out of it, so I am excited to see how it turns out. Today I made some progress with the tear down. I am probably going to pull the engine pretty soon and change the gaskets and paint it. I will also have to do some extensive work to the wiring harness and spend some time cleaning the frame and swing arm. I plan to put in new bearings and then it will be time to start putting this thing back together. I can't wait

:rock:

Been watching this with a bit of interest since it got posted and hearing that made me grin. I got a call from a friend that was at a garage sale telling me there was a red, white, and blue Honda tucked away in the back that the guy was kind of interested in selling. RWB means it's gotta be something special if it's a Honda, so I jumped in the car and FLEW over to the next town in hopes that every penny I had would secure the bike and bring it home, talked to the guy for a few minutes about what I do and he said I sounded like him back in his day, told me the bike had been crashed (he hit a deer at 70mph) in the mid 90's and the bike had sat since.

When I walked up to it and pulled back the cover to see "CB1100F" on the side cover, and "RC Engineering" on the muffler connected to the 4-1 stainless header (when was the last time you saw a Russ Collins pipe? :D), my heart sank, there was no way I was getting that bike out of there without a small fortune! I turned to the owner and sheepishly asked what he was looking for out of the bike. He said the fact he could see the passion and dedication in my eyes was enough, how did $100 sound? And he produced a title already signed and dated like he KNEW I was going to be "the one" to bring that bike back to life and give it a second chance.

For motorcycle enthusiasts like us, it is like a love story with a perfect ending. There is something about a rarity being allowed to live again that makes me feel like the world just might not be as screwed up as it seems some days. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts

Been watching this with a bit of interest since it got posted and hearing that made me grin. I got a call from a friend that was at a garage sale telling me there was a red, white, and blue Honda tucked away in the back that the guy was kind of interested in selling. RWB means it's gotta be something special if it's a Honda, so I jumped in the car and FLEW over to the next town in hopes that every penny I had would secure the bike and bring it home, talked to the guy for a few minutes about what I do and he said I sounded like him back in his day, told me the bike had been crashed (he hit a deer at 70mph) in the mid 90's and the bike had sat since.

When I walked up to it and pulled back the cover to see "CB1100F" on the side cover, and "RC Engineering" on the muffler connected to the 4-1 stainless header (when was the last time you saw a Russ Collins pipe? :D), my heart sank, there was no way I was getting that bike out of there without a small fortune! I turned to the owner and sheepishly asked what he was looking for out of the bike. He said the fact he could see the passion and dedication in my eyes was enough, how did $100 sound? And he produced a title already signed and dated like he KNEW I was going to be "the one" to bring that bike back to life and give it a second chance.

For motorcycle enthusiasts like us, it is like a love story with a perfect ending. There is something about a rarity being allowed to live again that makes me feel like the world just might not be as screwed up as it seems some days. :)

I was looking for years for a 1991-94 gsxr to make a strretfighter.

All i could find was around 1000 euros,and one day i check for outdated auctions and found one for 500 euros in the local town (no extra cash for gas) sold the parts i didn't need for 100 euro ....So what's up with this?! :))

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Man that's awesome, I really appreciate it. If you can believe it, the CB1100F is one of my all time favorite bikes. My dad had one, which he traded for a 1985 VFR750 interceptor, which eventually got traded for a 1988 CBR1000 Hurricane etc etc. What can I say....I come by it honestly. I have memories of riding on the tank of that CB1100 as a very small boy thinking that I had the world by the tail, and that's when my love affair with everything on two wheels began.

Snowboarderro, I think those Gixers make the best fighters, at least they are my favorite. I am glad you found such a great bike for a good deal, I am always looking for bikes that need some TLC, but I absolutely love this GSXR, and I will have it forever, or at least until my son is old enough to steal it. He is only 12 but he rides, and I have caught him sitting on the GSXR a few times already. I may be in trouble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has been a crazy few weeks at work, and I had to replace the floor in our bathroom, which morphed into a complete bathroom re-model so my time in the shop has been limited. I did manage to squeeze in a couple hours today and I finished the yoshi engine cover. The right side covers are coming along, but the clutch cover is going to be a bitch to polish.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm back guys, sorry about the time away. As some of you know, I am in the military and sometimes duty calls. Anyway, I am back now and I went out to the shop to tinker with my Jeep, and I ended up spending all day out there working on the Gixxer. As you can see, I cleaned up the swing arm and shock a little bit and put them back on temporarily. I decided to throw caution to the wind and cut off the sub frame tonight. I still have a ton of grinding and smoothing to do, but that can wait. I also decided to pull the undertail exhaust off my Daytona 955i and use it on the Gixer. I will get the sub frame bent into submission tomorrow and hopefully get some work done on the mounts. I don't know how much longer I will have to work on it, as I might be heading out the door again soon, but I am going to keep plugging away as time and money allow. BTW, my wife named the bike tonight. She will officially be known henceforth as herrin, which is the German word for mistress. I thought it was hilariously appropriate.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts