Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 87 fzr1000 genesis and seem to have a second gear problem. When in second gear and give it a hand full it will cut in and out and settles when get to high enough rpm. After doing some research I hear this is a common issue. Now I've never really dived into any engine work but am mechanically minded enough so not scared in trying to repair it myself. My question is what parts am I going to need and also how hard is the job to do. Engine will be coming out soon to get frame sprayed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Blown out 2nd gears are common on older Yamaha's since it was only a 3 dog gear, versus 5 that's more common. The problem is these square dogs (that fit into pockets in an adjacent gear), get rounded off from hard/abusive riding. They still fit into the pockets, but under high load/throttle, the rounded corners shove the gears apart and slip. It's only going to get worse in time.

With the engine out of the bike, you'll have to split the case to get at the transmission. I'm not familiar with your exact bike, but you'll have to replace the worn 2nd gear.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So finally got around to splitting my engine, go to the transmission expecting to find all the locating dogs in a mess but seem to be alright? ive attached some pictures see if maybe im missing something?
Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
You're right, nothing is jumping out at me from the pictures. The dogs show some slight wear but nothing I'd think would cause a problem. The drum and forks look OK as well.

Was the problem only when in second gear previously?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't seem to get the second gear wheel off (10th picture down). There's a collar on the other side and I assume behind that a circlip to allow the wheel to come off but that collar is not moving. Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
First you need to identify which gears are 2nd. On the main shaft, the one with the clutch on one end, 2nd gear is gonna be the second smallest gear. First is the smallest one. Usually you will find first on one end of shaft and second on the other end. Now find the gear that mates with your main shaft 2nd on the counter shaft. One of those gears should be free to spin on the shaft, either on the main or the counter. You need to replace the gear that will spin on the shaft, and the one that slides into it on the same shaft. Identify which shift fork moves the sliding gear and replace that one as well. Assemble motor.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to undercut the gears as there is minimal wear. The problem im having is trying to get the second gear (freeweheeling gear) off of the shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts