Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

We bought this bike last summer. It's been running great, but my brother went down monday night.

Story:

He said he was turning right, so he was slowing down, locked up the rear. The rear tire went to the right then high sided. The rear brake pedal is bent up, and the handle bar is bent into the tank. He said he was going 35 ish but I'm not sure. It does ride fine, but you need to turn the handle bars to the right about 10 degrees to get the tire to be straight. Here are some pics to clear it up.

Gas tank dent:

Tire/fender:

So if the tree seems straight to the tank the tire is turned to the left a bit. We took the fork axle, wheel, and fork tubes out. As far as i can make out by my eye balling it, the axle seems straight, the forktubes seem straight. But the right tube sticks out a bit further than the left at the bottom about 1/2" at the bottom. I can't see what is bent if anything, it seems like it would be the forks but they seem straight, I dont know how much they would need to be out to cause that, it also might be the triple tree. Anyone with any experience that might know whats messed up or if you guys need more pics let me know. Thanks.

Nate

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Loosen up your triples and try to adjust the forks. It might give you a better idea what is bent.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya we did loosen the triples and then put the forks back then tightened the triple again. To the eye things look straight, I have a nice table saw with a flat surface and rolled the forks and axle over the table and they look straight but I don't know how much they would have to be off to get it to run that crooked. To me it seems like both forks could be bent a small amount, enough to mess it up and not be visible to the eye, to throw it off at the wheel but I;m not sure. Thanks for the reply.

Nate

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
I had that after I highsided, simple solution was to loosen the triples a bit, pull the bike up to a tree, and whack the tree with the front tire till it lined up. I belive its refered to as "twisted" forks. I never had any long term impacts after my fix-it, and I put probly 20k more miles on that bike after the wreck.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
^^^ Could you just post what that thread said? That way we don't have to sign up to read it.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the post on ex-500.com just incase anyone is interested:

It often happens that a little bump (or a large one) knocks the front fork out of alignment. This can often be noticed by a off center fender or odd handling. Here's how to straighten them.

Tools required: Wrenches to loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts and the front Axel bolts.
a Flat piece of metal or glass about 3 inches wide and long enough to span the forks.

First check if you need to do this. Lay the metal plate across the bar chrome part of the fork tubes, and rock it across corner like a chair with a short leg. If it rocks your forks are Tweaked. If it lays flat without much movement (less than a 1/16") your done.

OK the forks are Tweaked.

With the bike on the center stand and the front wheel propped off the ground. Loosen all
the Triple clam pinch bolts, the top center cap nut. and the Axel and the Axel pinch bolts. Don't remove any of them just get them loose.

Check if your fork tube are bent by twisting them in the triples. they should turn freely. if they move a little then bind they might be bent.

Now rock the tubes as above, Hold the front wheel with your knees and twist the bars till the plate Don't rock.

Now gradually tighten all the bolts a little at a time as you keep checking the "Rocker" till all are properly torqued.

Your done, your front end will love you for it.

FOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts