Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farily new to CF but Ive been working on my hurricane slowly in my free time. Get some parts here and there and tinkering with different ideas in my head at work to pass the time. I am planning on chopping the tail off and putting a solo seat from a V Star. Not sure how that one will turn out but well see if fedex will ever decide to deliver it.. May go with a gixxer seat, not sure. Have a solo chopper-ish headlight probably change that down the road too (no pun intended). :doh: Here are some pictures..
this is what Im starting with

painted the frame, well most of it

headlight

full vance&hines

polished it up a little

and finally painted my coil spring and polished the shock. Just finished that tonight

Still have to paint some of the shock parts because the moisture during the night clouded up the paint :angry:
Thats all for now, will be continuing in a few days.
Thoughts? :drinks:

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
great start. keep it up

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to decide on a front fender since i never had the original one. I will probably end up making one or fabbing one from another bike. Rear swingarm mounted fender also

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little more progress on my project. Hours of midnight boredom has lead me here.
Finally got the seat I ordered off ebay. Its a little bigger than I expected but i think it will work ok without looking like a recliner with wheels.

I also wrapped my headers with DEI wrap planning on painting them with the white silicon coating. I wish they came in more colors but the coating only comes in black, white and aluminum (gray). I think white will look best. Thought about black but I want the wrap to stand out. I like it that way. Because thats how I roll.

In my experience, wrapping these headers was a major pain in the arse :CK187:, however it was my first time and as long as they stay on Im happy with it. I think those stainless steel ties are garbage

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been a while but Ive finally made it back to working on my fighter. Just graduated college so I have a little time now. Ive done a little more, its almost ready to be on the road.

This is where I am at the moment

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am prepared to take criticism on the headlight and giant seat but I like them both at the moment. The pictures and my less than professional photography skills dont do it justice. I stripped the black off the front rim a little to find the white underneath. I will finish that in the future, i like the white.

I like this picture

Must find something to do with the wiring harness and fuse block. I will probably end up tucking it between the frame and radiator. Im trying to find a somewhat temp resistant wrap for the wires.

Relocated the brake reservoir and put the cdi box in the battery box. Relocated the oil cooler from the front forks to the side there I like it. Have fuel line on the way because the stuff thats on it is so stiff that i cant get it on the fuel pump.

Going to get a brake light, Im thinking something from a modern bike. I want a double circle type like on some of the R1s.

Let me know your opinions. I know it isnt very far along but when i get it road worthy im going to repaint and thoroughly clean.

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the bike when i got it. Didnt care for the look

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It's a start. I think if you cut the front of the seat to make it sit flush with the tank it'll look a lot better.

As for the wiring if get some black plastic tubing for running wires in homes cut it down the middle the tape it up it will protected from the heat of the motor so you can run it in between the frame s d radiator.

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may do that with the seat. Cut the point off the front I think that will work out swell thanks. And the piping are you talking about pvc pipe? I was trying to avoid using tape because of the way it gets when its old and it leaves all the wires sticky I hate it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really like the shape of the seat but it feels like one size too big. Kind of reminds me of the guys helmet in Spaceballs ;) but awesome progress! Keep it up!

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha spaceballs thats pretty good and i see the resemblance lol. And cpomeroy your signature is awesome I saved a copy of it because its so awesome.

I did cut the point off the front of the seat so I think it does look a little better size wise. But I am, at no level, an upholsterer so the underside of the seat doesnt look so swell but I think it will do fine.

I also shortened the pipe. I have shortened the pipe coming off the headers so that the muffler will be under the peg. I didnt move the V&H badge because I didnt want it to be hidden under the peg. Im happy with the location.

Im starting to like how it looks more. I have a lot of little things left to do. :CK187: I have gotten it running for the first time in over a year. :rock: The battery has gone bad so ill be getting a new one along with a chain.

Thinking about getting some diamond plate for side covers for the rear section. Likely painted black.

I got a junction box from another bike however i found that it is a lot smaller than I though it was going to be. So ill have to find something to do with the rest of the wires.

I am beyond ready to do some streetfighting with it when i finally get in on the road. After a decent amount of showing off to the neighbors :Evil_smile: I dont think Ive mentioned that I relocated the ignition switch with my CBR keychain. See it there? Right there :gossip:

Progress Progress Progress. Does anyone have an opinion on 'Volar' chains? They have a million of them on fleabay and they say they are pretty tough but you know how that goes... The oem chain is almost $200 so I may be getting an online chain.

Thats it for now. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer before its gone I know I am :yeeha:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
that seat is so funny but if its your thing go with it..

i have a question how did you get your rear shock appart?

·
2wheeldeal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rear shock was fun... I hung the bike from the ceiling so the weight would be off the swingarm. Took out the bolts and used a pry bar to get it off the bike. I think i put it in the vice to get the coil off of the shock. There is a little ring that holds the coil on, when you take it off it comes apart.

Well i finished up with my exhaust just have to make a mounting bracket for it.

Put on my waterbottle overflow tank.

Now I just need a tail light and signal lights and i can put some miles on it. I wired up my headlight and cleaned up some of the wiring. Took about a foot of wiring off of the handlebar control. Have to finish taking the paint off of the rims Im going with a black and white look. My truck is the same way.

Going to paint the headlight flat black but i may leave the ring around the front chrome.

Got my chain on finally and got a chain riveting kit for the master link.

Need to figure out what gauges Im going to use also.

Waiting for a sunny day to ride some backroads. Looking to the future for once and thrilled to have her mobile again

·
GSSEX
93 Posts
I am hardcore in love with that seat and headlight, that's the look i wanted for my 97 Katfighter, and whereabouts in Tennessee are you I'm about an hour south of Nashvegas, so if your in the area and need a hand hit me up, DW and finish this beast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts