21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Those ideas are great, i was thinking of just splicing it and joining somewhere at the radiator but i wasn't sure if the coller was actually needed.
The second link you provided is very cool and i do like that idea a lot. Very clean and tidy....something i think i may have to replicate myself.

Anything to make the overall look a lot cleaner is what im aiming for.

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
a little update,

I have designed the speedo mount that will fix to the back of my headlamp,

I chose to have it on there for now to keep the top yoke clean.
Once/ if i get renthal bars then i shall use the original mount that came with the speedo to mount it to the bars.

Good news is its being machined over night at work so it will be ready for me to use in the morning and ill finally have a speedo that reads true.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i have been a little slow on the updates recently due to being in New York;

well i landed back in England and got home around 1PM today...straight out to my bike to check up on the old girl and done a few bits;

Deleted the oil cooler, so for now i have just cut it out and bridged the hoses. I do however plan to make it a kot neater shortly.

Fixed on my speedo, connected it up and it works great...very proud of my achievements and even more proud of the fact i do not have jet lag.

Looks pretty swell i think and now i no longer have to worry about speed cameras etc.

Next up will be the rear subframe, get that designed and mocked up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Diggin the speedo that's one of the main problems I'm running into at the moment. Was it hard to switch to digital? How did you hook the magnet sensor up?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No it was very easy;
-Remove the old dials and wires and Smile at how much crap you have just eliminated.
-Figure out where you want the speedo and make sure you have enough length of wire to reach to the bottom of your forks.
-I wrapped the speed sensor wire around my brake hose and then attached to the fork leg with a black rubber band thay came with the unit. Works very well.
-The magnet that came with mine was designed for a bycicle so was worthless to me. I planned on just using a small earth magnet but there wasnt enough clearance and it would get pushed off once it hit the capiper and mounting bracket (you may be aright depending on clearance)

So i found a magnetic disk rotor bolt on the net for around £7 i think and used that.
It works great. I have a gap of around 2mm between the magnet and the sensor. maximum of 5mm is recommended with my set up.

It all works great.

·
16 Posts
Definitely going to watch this build. I myself have an 89 hurricane. I haven't put up many pictures of it. I've been pondering what to do with that super small oil cooler. I'll be watching to get inspiration from you. If you have questions, I may be able to help. Let me know. I also have a Honda manual for this bike if you need any pages or info, let me know!

Dylan

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 88 hurricane and I swaped out the oil cooler for the. 1000 and it will bolt right up to where the front brake line split is mounted. Im running 2 brake lines and and deleted the split. So It work out. Perfectly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
87 hurricane 600 checking in.

Just wanna say i'm watching your build and going see how it ends up. Right now mine is mostly stock and completely dressed. But once mine it too damaged to return to normal, i'll strip her down and go for a classic headlight. Please, show me how she looks with a cropped tail. Almost sport bike/ bobber style

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So i have been pretty quiet recently.
Mostly due to not having time to work on the old girl and doing a lot of research.

Been looking into SSSA conversions. I haven't found anything on a conversion for an CBR F like mine so i have two routes to go down so far.

Both of which require quite a bit of work due to the fact i want a tyre of at least 180 width and my frame wont allow it.

Option 1
Dont have the 180 tyre and use a VFR400 SSSA, fits in the frame but still use quite a narrow wheel. less work but then im thinking whats the point.

Option 2
Fuck it a build my own swinger using either a Triumph or VFR Hub, tubing, buy a spare CBR swinger and grind off the pivot points, incorporate a jack shaft to allow for offset.
This is quite daring i know and will require a lot of work, but i feel id be letting myself down if i opt for the easier route and not be fully satisfied.

Been designing the custom tubular SSSA so will post up my designs once finished.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Glad to see you back buddy and still making some progress even if t is just ideas that's what makes street fighter mad ideas lol.
What are your thoughts behind the sssa as in why do you want one is it cos they are sooo damm sexy or is it to give you a wider tire.
If it is the wider tire I think I would be posible to use a hornet swing arm (this was my back up if I can't get the jmc to fit) all that needs to be done is a little trim of the cbr swing arm pivot.
This will give you a 180 tire and uses the same sprocket carrier as the cbr so chain and wheel Alignment are spot on the only thing I can see to cause problems is the shock the hornet swinger has o mount on top and the shock bolts straight to it where as the cbr has a linkage but im sure there is a way round this maybe just use a hornet shock too not shure.
Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ps what makes you think your frame won't take a 180?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Alternative, cheaper and easier idea: nc23/nc29 CBR400 swingarm and wheel. The nc29 wheel fits each for a 160-17 tyre.

Not an SSSA, but looks boss and since both engines share the basic crankcases, should fit easily enough. IDK exactly about linkages, but even that looks quite similar.

The nc29 "gullarm" also gives space for a stubby sticking up out from under it, moto GP style. Here's me dicking about putting my stubby on without the link pip. Chop the mid pipe shorter and it'd tuck nicely. That's a CB-1 btw.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Glad to see you back buddy and still making some progress even if t is just ideas that's what makes street fighter mad ideas lol.
What are your thoughts behind the sssa as in why do you want one is it cos they are sooo damm sexy or is it to give you a wider tire.
If it is the wider tire I think I would be posible to use a hornet swing arm (this was my back up if I can't get the jmc to fit) all that needs to be done is a little trim of the cbr swing arm pivot.
This will give you a 180 tire and uses the same sprocket carrier as the cbr so chain and wheel Alignment are spot on the only thing I can see to cause problems is the shock the hornet swinger has o mount on top and the shock bolts straight to it where as the cbr has a linkage but im sure there is a way round this maybe just use a hornet shock too not sure.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers pal,
I have been doing little bits but nothing to shout about, ha.

Yeah i really like the look of SSSA's. My bike is never going to be the fastest around so i can sacrifice performance and weight a little for something that looks a little cooler IMO.

The issues im facing are, My frame is 228mm wide (inside at the pivot points) and the swing arm is 222mm wide at the pivot point.

Both the nc30 (192mm)and nc35 (215mm)will fit fine but they have narrow wheels just like mine and i think the most you can get is 160 wide tyre without rubbing and chain problems.

If i go for a 94-97 VFR 750 (227mm) then it will require minimum shaving and will allow for a 180 tyre but the chain alignment will be so out of place and require a big offset front sprocket and if so then the chain will be running directly through the frame. (obviously wont work). So im left thinking ill need a Jackshaft or some sort to solve the issue.

So with all that work going into modifying a VFR swinger i could with just a little more work have a custom tubular SSSA built around a VFR hub, incorporating a jackshaft within the design and have something different to the usual SSSA conversions you see.

That's my thoughts anyway. If anyone has further info they feel may help then let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Having put a nc29 arm on a cb-1 I have some ideas. Crankcases are same both engines. That wheel fits in line in the frame. I put a 160 rear on. If you'd go bigger than 160 you'd start getting problems of the chain eating tyre. Therefore no matter what swigarm and wheel you get, if you want the 180 on that engine then you're going to need at least about 10mm more offset on the front sprocket, and the swingarm to centre the wheel properly etc.

Just think about the cbr400 swingarm eh? Bolt on swap, 6 spoke rim, cheap, easy. Probably just need bushings for pivot and some minor work on linkages.

I know it is mostly about the look but 160 is plenty for your power and will handle sweeter than a 180.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Having put a nc29 arm on a cb-1 I have some ideas. Crankcases are same both engines. That wheel fits in line in the frame. I put a 160 rear on. If you'd go bigger than 160 you'd start getting problems of the chain eating tyre. Therefore no matter what swigarm and wheel you get, if you want the 180 on that engine then you're going to need at least about 10mm more offset on the front sprocket, and the swingarm to centre the wheel properly etc.

Just think about the cbr400 swingarm eh? Bolt on swap, 6 spoke rim, cheap, easy. Probably just need bushings for pivot and some minor work on linkages.

I know it is mostly about the look but 160 is plenty for your power and will handle sweeter than a 180.
The more you drill it into me the more it makes sense.
Damn you...

The NC29 swinger is nice. i must admit. a 160 is wider than what i have now at least so its a step in the right direction. I'm starting to talk myself into it now...

Ill think about it, ha.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
On this fine day the pot holes of Oxfordshire roads have destroyed my exhaust.

Not cool.
However bike sounds great now.

Nexxus exhausts are a pile of wank. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

So i have got home....

Since the pot hole ripped my exhaust apart at the can...i have taken it off and the bike is very loud...The neighbours and police will not be happy.
No choice but to run an open exhaust for the short term. This should be fun.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Is that your registration or something in that window by the exhaust

21 - 40 of 75 Posts