Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would start with a thinner tail. That is assuming that the bike is mechanically sound.
The bike is mechanically sound from what I know so far. It runs just fine and everything but I won't know for sure until I take everything apart at the end of the summer.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Looks like you have a clean bike to start with! Now chop her up lol...

So what's the plan? What have you seen that would be something to do on this bike?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you have a clean bike to start with! Now chop her up lol...

So what's the plan? What have you seen that would be something to do on this bike?
Yeah all in all I got a really good deal. Less than 25k miles, mechanically sound, runs just fine, and all for under $1k.

I haven't really decided an over all goal for the bike just yet. This is the first time I have thought about creating a fighter. Right now I have been focused on getting the bike inspected so I can drive it all summer and then take it apart next winter.

I am thinking either (for the front at least) a z1000 front end or something like a bad-ass chopper and going with one of those bullet style headlights and build with that in mind.

I plan on doing more research on the forums to see what other people have done with 88-90 zx10s and see if anything catches me. I will keep you guys updated. Also feel free to post some ideas.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Yeah all in all I got a really good deal. Less than 25k miles, mechanically sound, runs just fine, and all for under $1k.

I haven't really decided an over all goal for the bike just yet. This is the first time I have thought about creating a fighter. Right now I have been focused on getting the bike inspected so I can drive it all summer and then take it apart next winter.

I am thinking either (for the front at least) a z1000 front end or something like a bad-ass chopper and going with one of those bullet style headlights and build with that in mind.

I plan on doing more research on the forums to see what other people have done with 88-90 zx10s and see if anything catches me. I will keep you guys updated. Also feel free to post some ideas.
Good deal man...

Start that parts horde now, so when winter comes you have what you need to get shit done. One of the biggest time sucks is waiting for parts to come, and then realizing you need to order something else to make what you did get work. Winter does come and go quick.

You could probably move your gauges in closer and also your light with some new brackets and maybe whip up a wind-screen type of thing all for really cheap and improve the overall look pretty easily...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal man...

Start that parts horde now, so when winter comes you have what you need to get shit done. One of the biggest time sucks is waiting for parts to come, and then realizing you need to order something else to make what you did get work. Winter does come and go quick.

You could probably move your gauges in closer and also your light with some new brackets and maybe whip up a wind-screen type of thing all for really cheap and improve the overall look pretty easily...
Thanks for the advice. I do plan on buying parts as soon as money comes in and not waiting until winter to start doing so.

I was actually thinking about replacing the gauges to a digital set, not sure about that yet but we will see.

Any idea what to do about a bracket? Do they make brackets for this old of a bike or am I going to have to make something. Right now I don't have the tools to fabricate anything nor do I currently know anyone in my area but I am pretty handy. I do want to buy a new headlight and find a good way to mount it to the bike.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I do plan on buying parts as soon as money comes in and not waiting until winter to start doing so.

I was actually thinking about replacing the gauges to a digital set, not sure about that yet but we will see.

Any idea what to do about a bracket? Do they make brackets for this old of a bike or am I going to have to make something. Right now I don't have the tools to fabricate anything nor do I currently know anyone in my area but I am pretty handy. I do want to buy a new headlight and find a good way to mount it to the bike.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46854

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Lot's of those headlights are being run on bikes here lol...
People make their own brackets too. Take a look around here man, you'll see 'em...
Shit take a look in the classifieds there could be one used in there, or even another light you'd like.

I'll give you credit, at'least you didn't post up a pic of some garbage acerbis light saying you are going to run that. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lot's of those headlights are being run on bikes here lol...
People make their own brackets too. Take a look around here man, you'll see 'em...
Shit take a look in the classifieds there could be one used in there, or even another light you'd like.

I'll give you credit, at'least you didn't post up a pic of some garbage acerbis light saying you are going to run that. :D
Haha, that is what I have been seeing (a lot of people using them) but it is a nice looking light. I did have another idea about a light but I really just can't make up my mind about it. What do you think?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Haha, that is what I have been seeing (a lot of people using them) but it is a nice looking light. I did have another idea about a light but I really just can't make up my mind about it. What do you think?

Not bad, only thing that may look funky is the depth of that light. Might stick out pretty far on the front...

Headlights are tough lol... I think that's why you see a lot of the same ones being used on builds. Buell xb duels, vrod, twin dominators, LSL urban, random 7" rounds... And the acerbis...
Kinda the line up around here. But those lights are like a monster seat, sure aren't that original but they look good...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not bad, only thing that may look funky is the depth of that light. Might stick out pretty far on the front...

Headlights are tough lol... I think that's why you see a lot of the same ones being used on builds. Buell xb duels, vrod, twin dominators, LSL urban, random 7" rounds... And the acerbis...
Kinda the line up around here. But those lights are like a monster seat, sure aren't that original but they look good...
The hardest part is not being able to see them on the bike in person. It is decently priced though so it may be a cheap get around for now. Money is tight at the moment so it may be what I am looking for currently...just either gotta find or make brackets...for either headlight depending which way I decide to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone with bar end mirrors: how do you like them? I would image your arm gets in the way of the mirror a lot. I like the look of them but functionality is definitely a concern. Was thinking about the bar end mirrors that come about the grips but I like the ones that stick straight out better. Any thoughts?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I %100 LOVE mine!
These are the first set I have ever rode with and I had the same worries about them, but they are really nice to ride with. They are a bit on the small side so especially if I'm ridding with someone a good head check before you commit is always a good idea. But I was honestly surprised by the field of vision. They are just some cheepo universal ebay units...

Only down side I see is it makes lane split difficult. I don't do that often enough to really worry about it though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts