Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Project "Thomas Conde" - zx600c

Hello brethren,

Short intro: I'm a starving college student and have built two bikes before, one being a cb450 cafe racer and an 89 cbr600 hurricane cafe fighter. It's been quite a while since I've been bikeless and I recently purchased an 89 zx600 last week for $300! Not currently running, gets fuel, but carbs might need a cleaning since it was sitting for about 8 months. Haven't checked for spark yet. The bike however was running before it was stored.

ON TO THE PICS

How she currently sits. Every clutter in the subframe removed.

So tomorrow I'll be cleaning the carbs and trying to start her once again. The plan is to either go with a bobber seat or make a small tail. My build is heavily inspired by NeverEnough's kawi. I'll be modding the current subframe to make it smaller and weld on the supports closer to the tank. Fuel evap system has been removed already.

I already ordered parts to swap in a zx600e swinger and rear wheel. Just waiting on eGay sellers to accept my offer for the wheel lol. I'm hoping to get this thing running and somewhat complete by next month or so.

Enjoy!

·
Noob in training
114 Posts
Very nice, especially for the monies.

And that seat looks pretty damn good by itself. I vote bobber.

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And yet another finds its way.. nice score for 300$. I have a 93 zxc myself. Clicky the link in my sig.

Well be warned ALOT of guys have a soft spot for these tossaways. Myself included.

Rep for another zxc pilot.
I've heard a lot of zxcs have been popping up lately. This just happened because a friend of a friend was selling it. Couldn't pass it up!

Very nice, especially for the monies.

And that seat looks pretty damn good by itself. I vote bobber.
I agree Tx1021, it'll look great as a bobber, but I'm wondering if I want a small tail or not. Like VERY small tail.

Good news, just scored a zxe rear wheel with sprocket and hub for $68 shipped. Swingarm parts will almost be complete, I just need a shock. QUESTION: if I'm swapping the swinger, what kind of gearing do I run? Do I keep the stock ZXC gearing or go with the ZXE gearing?

·
Hard Core Sledder
1,563 Posts
15/39 is stock sprocket tooth count. ...

I have a entire zx6e front end im going to be selling. Drop in swap. Forks.triples.brakes.bars.wheel.tire. only mod needed is to take a lil material off the frame mounted steering stops. Dig throo mah thread and youll see it all. . Thattl getyou 17" front with good brakes.

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the subframe bolted on on this model?...
Yes it is.

Quick update: removed the carbs. They looked pretty clean I did see that the idle jets were clogged, hence why the bike wouldn't start. I'll try starting her up tonight after work and I'll post some pics as well.

Now, which rear shock should I go with: 03+ gsxr1000 or 03+ 636?

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the bike to run! I'll upload a video tonight :party-smiley:

Carbs open and cleaned

Parts that came in for the swinger swap

So I think the bike may be running a bit lean. I turned the mixture screws on the carbs out by two turns, so I might turn them in by a half once I get em off again. There was also a noticeable amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and from the headers. I'm wondering if the smoke is from all that built up gunk from sitting that's burning up. ALSO, revving past 6k - 7k rpms causes a little bit of backfiring.

Here's a picture where the smoke was burning off from the headers. I'm guessing that bolt could be the oil drain? Looked as if a little oil could have leaked at that area from sitting.

I'm thinking about getting a stage 3 jet kit and individual K&N filters for the ease of taking the carbs off. Hmm, don't know for sure yet.

·
wet BeHind eArs
64 Posts
So I just got home, threw on the carbs that I cleaned earlier today and tried to start her. I'm getting fuel and spark but it won't start! What is that I'm missing here? :help0:

Btw, I'm running the stock air box and fuel evap system nixed.
Maybe a vacum hose off? If you nixed the charcoal canister did you leave the tube to it open or plug it. I plugged mine and it wouldnt start. Opened up and it started. It's gotta be simple if you have fuel and spark.....air is all thats needed after that, in the right mixture with the fuel. Keep lookin bro you'll find it.

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe a vacum hose off? If you nixed the charcoal canister did you leave the tube to it open or plug it. I plugged mine and it wouldnt start. Opened up and it started. It's gotta be simple if you have fuel and spark.....air is all thats needed after that, in the right mixture with the fuel. Keep lookin bro you'll find it.
I actually got it to run this morning, but now there's some white smoke coming from the exhaust and burning off the headers. I hope it's not a head gasket issue, but if it is, l'll have to tear her open.

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay asshats, finally somewhat of an update.

Got some goodies in the mail yesterday:

zx6e rear wheel with hub and sprocket. I'll be able to slap on a 160 tire woowee!

Dirty ass zx6e swinger. This'll give me a stretch of about an inch.

636 Shock

Gauge from Dogmeatk! Pretty cool little device, haven't had time to wire it yet.

I ground off some stupid tabs on the tank and ended up with a couple small holes to fill in. I also played with the idea of making panels for the ugly ass indents. However, I won't be doing this mod. I originally planned on welding the tank myself, but I just don't want to risk it. I'm bringing it in to a radiator shop to see if they can get the holes welded up for me, then I'm going to de-rust the inside with vinegar.

And here's a photochop mockup of the rear end. I'll be welding on a subframe like this one and keeping the stock seat, but shaved down. Budget derp ftw!

I also shortened the stock exhausts by half, haven't had the chance to hear em yet but I'll see. This saturday I'll be fitting the rear end on. Wish me luck! :shockerknucks:

·
Hard Core Sledder
1,563 Posts
Hell yesh..... front end will be tuesday i believe. Good lot of parts you got!. 160 rear is no prob if wheel ia 5.5"..... my 5.5. Has a 180 packed on it. Ive found some nice tires on the cheap with no rot and lots of life on fleabay..

Go huntin.

Good to see your parts pile growin. :)

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hell yesh..... front end will be tuesday i believe. Good lot of parts you got!. 160 rear is no prob if wheel ia 5.5"..... my 5.5. Has a 180 packed on it. Ive found some nice tires on the cheap with no rot and lots of life on fleabay..

Go huntin.

Good to see your parts pile growin. :)
Thanks Rob! I plan to order the tires by next week and throw em on after I get everything swapped in.

So I got quoted $100 from the guy at the shop to fix the holes on the tank. I said FU to that :smiliebiker:

Just found one on ebay for $54 in decent condition. Not going to mess with the brackets this time, except for the ones that are sticking out.

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The finger is for finding a 50$ tank... :(. I searched for almost 2 months. I fail lmao.

But good job. Fuckin a! :knucks:
Hahah! I actually got lucky, this one asshole was trying to sell a tank for $150 shipped and I offered $60 lol. He then counter-offered $140. I was about to make another offer, but then I just searched egay again today and found another tank that was freshly listed.

Rob, the tank you're putting on is way better anyway than the stock hunk of eye sore shit tank :napoleon:

·
Hard Core Sledder
1,563 Posts
I saw alot of potential in the stock tank/saddle/pass seat. Youve already made the templates. Thats exactly what i had planned :) ... good eye. These little bikes are so full of potential ive learned..

Far as my tank goes im just tryin to make the previous owner proud, ;).

·
weaksauce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I'm going to try my hand at clay sculpting/molding. Instead of using sheet metal to even out the indents of the tank, I will be using clay, then fiberglassing over it. I'll also be rounding out the tank at the top by adding a hump, just like what NeverEnough did with his zx600c tank.

25 lbs of clay for $17 on amazon just ordered! Hope it's enough lol. The waiting game begins...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts