Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this build a couple of months back after winter started to thaw so this will include what has been done thus far.

The bike is a 1990 CBR 1000F that I bought a few years ago and have been wanting to turn it into a fighter for awhile now. Apparently the bike used to be owned by a Blue Angel Air Force pilot. Hence the color scheme and an Air Force patch that used to be on the seat.

Since the bike is over 2 decades old I figured that it needs to be given a new look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine is way dirty from a leaking head gasket. I am dropping it to clean and paint the block. This is my first time undertaking any mechanical project this far. I am kind of making it up as I go but this type of building seems to be pretty common on this forum so I am hoping that it turns out all right.

Way dirty!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to a motorcycle junk yard the other weekend to get some ideas and look for parts for my build. I am planning on swapping the sub-frame and tail fairings with something that is a little more aggressive looking. I am planning on keeping it as a 2 seater. I have no experience welding so when I found this I went for it.

Monster edition Ninja with a bolt on aluminum subframe!
I dont remember what model or year it is. If anyone knows please tell me.

The subframe is bolted on and was not to difficult to remove. I figure that I could create some brakets to mount on to.
Since my frame is steel this would be difficult to weld directly on to my frame, at least that is what I am told when trying to weld 2 different types of metals.

Using the Ninja subframe including the fairings and tail light I figured this would be easier and more cost effective to just mount the whole tail section on my bike. So I bought it and figured that I would work out the details later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stripped down to just the frame with the tank.

and here is a mock up of the new subframe that will be replacing the old one.

Cut the frame

did some grinding

I then had some brackets fabricated from a local trailer repair shop. They used 3/8 inch steel so that I can weld it to my frame and then be able to bolt on the aluminum subframe from the Ninja.

I then immediately went and found a local welder for some under the table work and he stuck them on for me.

New subframe installed. Big success and much easier than I expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started prepping engine for paint. Bought 500 degree black engine enamel, new gaskets to fix the oil leaks, engine degreaser and a power washer to blast the gunk off. Once I cleaned it I taped it up for a self etching primer coat and then paint.

Finished painting

Then started putting it back together. Mounted the frame back on to the engine.

and a quick mock up to see how she looks. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks to be coming along nice so far!! like the black engine. Was planning on doing this myself once i finish getting mine running right. i got a 90 600 hurricane so its cool seeing yours going through same process!

G

·
Nicely done sir :)

How did you get on with removing the oil cooler pipes from the engine ? these are known to be a pain for snapping bolts & leaking as they are exposed & corrode quickly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oil cooler pipes came off pretty easily, at least I don't remember having much of a problem with them.

Only major problem was when I was checking my AC generator I went to far and started removing the alternator shaft and could not get it back in.:oops: I was worried I would have to crack the crank case to get it back in. I fixed it though by manually turning the engine over with a wrench while a applied steady pressure for about an hour.

It was a huge relief.:party-smiley: and I'm not going to make that mistake again.

BTW just bought a Koso RX-2 gauge from Gump1376 in the parts section. Should be here by Wednesday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updates:

Made brackets for speedo and installed it.

Reworked old battery box to fit on new subframe.

Started prep work on tail fairing for fixing damage/holes/cracks with fiberglass

Started with some metal door jam brackets from home improvement store.

I plan on mounting the speedo on to the bolts holding the ignition.

Drill press and grinder to adjust to correct size.

Here is the speedo on the stock mounting bracket that it came with.

Finshed the brackets and added some black paint. I think they turned out pretty good.

Mounted! I later flipped the brackets upside down to lower the unit a little bit but it is essentially the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Battery box installation was difficult to come up with due to the size of the battery. I wanted it to sit beneath the seat on the subframe but still be mostly hidden. The ZX-9R subframe had a spot for the battery but was about half the height that I needed for mine.

So I started chopping up the original battery housing and removed all the old unnecessary mounting pieces. I forgot to take a before pic.

Here is the ZX-9R battery box with the bottom removed. As you can see it is very shallow.

The old battery box was then placed inside and through the bottom to get the desired depth needed.

The battery box now extends a little bit below the subframe, I may need to lower it a bit further to get the seat on.

Zip ties currently hold the 2 plastic battery boxes together as a backup but the fit is pretty snug.

Also the mount holding the gas tank is not installed yet. I am still trying to figure out how to mount the original steel mount to the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Repairing the tail fairing. Used a heat gun to remove the old decals. Sanded and cut out the damaged parts.

This piece did come from a junkyard and had some damage from a previous fall.

Repairs are currently underway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Current problem with starting to build a new wire harness. The new regulator/rectifier from a new CBR 1000 has one less wire than my old R/R did. I added the wiring schematic below from the old R/R. I colored the wires pink and blue to reference them specifically. My new R/R has the 3 Yellow wires for the alternator, 1 red wire for power, and 1 green wire for I don't know what.

My question is, does anybody know if I can even use this new R/R for my bike or will I need to get an OEM specific to my bike to solve this extra circuit problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I talked to my neighbor and came up with the idea to just close the second circuit coming from the alternator and just run with the 3 yellow wires. I guess I'll see if this affects how it runs once it is finished. Also figured out the green wire runs to the ignition control. Slowly making progress.

BTW Weather Pack kit from DIYAutotune is awesome! I have never done any wiring before and this kit is making for a great experience. Would definitely recommend and use again in the future.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/460-piece-weather-pack-kit-p-379.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally made some real progress on this thing. The wiring harness is complete.
Koso gauge is working (or at least lights up), new head light and blinker works great, and new smoke colored integrated tail light is phenomenal!!!!

Old vs new tail light, old one is for sale if anyone wants it.

This is how it sits more or less. Everything works (except the horn, whatever) so time to start cleaning this up and move on to the exhaust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts