Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know I don't need another project, but my buddy woke me up with a text today...

So. I guess I have another project :jpshakehead.sml:

I mean c'mon, how could you turn that down? :D

I don't remember what year it is or if it has a title or not.
If I recall correctly, the story goes something like this: He used to ride it regularly, then it got stolen and he ended up getting it back sans ignition and some other odds and ends. Between theft and recovery he picked up another ride, and when he got the 919 back he put it on the workbench to do... something... with it that never ended up happening. He has almost all the parts to make it go, but hasn't done anything with it in X years and is tired of staring at it.

If there's no title I'll turn it into a track bike or something. If there is it'll go the route of stubby exhaust, Monster-ish tail, drag bars, forks/trips, etc. But not until the Busa is done... and the B12 is finished... and the 929 is up and going... and the R1 is at least mostly there.

I'll get pics up when I get it in hand.

I just need to make sure I'm not present when the wife discovers it in the garage.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never played with one Yan. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever actually seen one in the wild.

Bike and a bin o' bits.

Bit more of a uh... blank canvas... than I remembered, but that's fine.
Forgot to ask about the title.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Looks in good shape as far as corrosion goes. Get it running and go from there? Best drop your buddy a text about the title first before putting any money in it though. No title and it's a breaker.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could be thrown together as a ratty runaround till it's time comes
Eh... as much as I'd like to just for the sake of having something to hoon around on, the time is probably better spent on the others.
Both the B12 and the Busa are so close to completion, it makes more sense to put the DW into them first. Especially the Bandit.

I'm in Colorado, Morti... corrosion isn't a thing here :D
Texted buddy, he has the title and will dig it up when he gets around to it. Not really in a huge rush there.
I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker if it didn't have a title though... $200 and some patience with the DMV would get me a new one, which I would consider perfectly reasonable to put into a bike that was virtually free. Moot point though.

Now... need to look into what forks will be easy to swap in.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But not until the Busa is done... and the B12 is finished... and the 929 is up and going... and the R1 is at least mostly there.
^^^So that's not quite going according to plan.
Have bids out on a CB1000R SSSA, comparing bearing sizes with some GSXR front ends, looking at wheel widths, etc.
Debating whether to rat-rod it or not. The frame lends itself rather well to the dual-oxygen-tanks-as-fuel-tank idea I've had in the back of my head for a bit, but then again I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that kind of style on this one. The engine seems too clean for such a thing. On the other hand, the Busa no longer falls into that category and I oughta do something to fill that void.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
I have seen a couple of bike with that idea and i was going to do it on my raptor build a few years back. I vote do it!!!

Reactions: mcantar

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Eh... as much as I'd like to just for the sake of having something to hoon around on, the time is probably better spent on the others.
Both the B12 and the Busa are so close to completion, it makes more sense to put the DW into them first. Especially the Bandit.

I'm in Colorado, Morti... corrosion isn't a thing here :D
Texted buddy, he has the title and will dig it up when he gets around to it. Not really in a huge rush there.
I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker if it didn't have a title though... $200 and some patience with the DMV would get me a new one, which I would consider perfectly reasonable to put into a bike that was virtually free. Moot point though.

Now... need to look into what forks will be easy to swap in.
I just looked on the map... I don't think you could be any further from the ocean than you are?!

Lucky you in that sense. I live a ten minute walk from the beach. I like the sea air, the dog loves chasing sticks on the beach... my bikes and car all hate the sea air.

I once took on an XJ600S in boxes... it was free. I spent lots of time and a little money getting it back together only to find it a) wouldn't run and b) the title as lost. I stood back and looked at it, still a shabby XJ600S that I had no use for, and ended up giving it away again as I just CBA. Since then I swore never to take on another bike I couldn't hear running and hold the title, not even for free. I guess guys like me mean guys like you get a free bike now and then.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Shit, I can't wait for "mcantar's" wife's reaction when he yanks the motor out of her 929 and swaps it into this bad boy...And then the forks and then the wheels...and swinger....And might as well throw on a 929 tail.. :D :fu:

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shit, I'm not sure she'd even notice with how little she actually goes out to work on that damn thing.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to update this. So in the days leading up to GP the wife decided that she really really wanted something to ride, despite having the 929 in the garage for a year and a half now and hardly doing anything to it.
So over the course of a few evenings after work, maybe 6 hours in total, I got it from the bare frame/engine/wheels to here in an effort to make it at least rideable...

Fresh chain, swapped the bars, threw the electrical bits and bodywork on. Had to steal the injector jump-harness from the 929 as well as the run/stop switch as the one in the 919 switch housing was broked, and the ignition cylinder as well.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it running, though it is close.
It cranks over, but won't prime when I switch the run/stop and won't fire. The fuel pump runs when hotwired, and the fuel cut relay is functioning (tested with multimeter and swapped with other relays with no change). The bike also won't fire while cranking with the fuel pump hotwired, so it's the injectors as well... or maybe spark.
So, either the ECU isn't getting the proper security signal from the 929 ignition cylinder and isn't activating the fuel circuit, or the injector harness from the 929 isn't playing nice with the 919 harness. Or both.
Outside of those things it could possibly be that I don't have the coils hooked up in the proper order or there's something fucky in the ECU, but those seem less likely.

Need to order a proper 919 injector harness and ignition cylinder, as well as a seat and some side panels.

·
V4's FTW
10,492 Posts
Dang, I was really hoping you'd just leave it in the boxes and send to me...

Check the clutch and kickstand switches, and bank angle sensor before you go nuts on the other stuff. Although I would at least check the diagram on the 2 FI harnesses.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, sorry about that Seb. Couldn't help myself :D
If you want the 929 though I've got half a mind to throw it up on the classifieds. I'm also kind of tempted to take the front end off of it for the 919 and part the rest out. I'm also somewhat interested in doing a proper build on it. Ok ok, I have no fucking clue what's gonna happen with it.

Gave the tip over switch a jiggle before mounting it and ensured it's mounted properly. Kickstand switch is hooked up, clutch switch is temporarily jumped. The fact that the fuel pump doesn't prime makes me think it's something deeper... the only one of the go/no-go switches that could prevent that is the tip over, and as far as I can tell it's functioning as it should. I suppose I could try swapping the one off the 929 just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Just saw this, sub'd!

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
can you smell fuel when you crank it with the pump jumpered? is there spark when cranking?

Doesnt the 929 have HISS? It sounds like security inhibiting fuel pump and injectors, not sure on most bikes but thats how most auto security works.

If both bikes have HISS then it may be a key programming issue. the two modules (ignition and ECM) would have to be matched for the security to work (RFID key stuff).

1 - 20 of 89 Posts