Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is the start of my first build. its a 1992 1100 gsx-r that i picked up complete for $200. a good friend of mine used to own this bike and when he passed away his wife sold it to me.

these are a few pictures of where im up to now...

first things first lets tear her down

and theres the pile of junk im sure i will get yelled at for later :oops:

say goodbye to that tail! tomorrow the fun begins. im going to bob the rear end and go with a custom subframe. the motor should be back to me by the end of the month.

as i mentioned this is my first build so if anyones got any suggestions feel free to post. ive got a general idea of what i want to do with the bike but nothing is set in stone. ill get pics up as she progresses

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good man! Definitely a great start

I know you say this is your first build, but have you ever done anything like this before? Are you going to be doing the fabricating and welding or you outsourcing it? Im no expert by any means, but I can offer you any help and teach you anything that i know if you are new to this stuff
new to bikes, my back ground is cars . most of the big stuff is getting outsourced but i gotta learn sometime so im prepared to jump in and make a few mistakes lol

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Nice project you got going there. I also have a 93 gsxr 750 build in progress. Be happy to trade notes with ya if you need. You know where to find me.

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
small update. took awhile because the guy i bought the swingarm from "forgot" to mail it out but now that its here subframe and modified swingarm are in the works. hopefully will have some pics by the end of the week.

in other news im looking for a newer model seat. not being picky: r1, gsxr, cbr just as long as its in decent condition and i can get the latching mech along with it. if anyones got a line on one let me know!

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still slow progress. check the bitch section and you will see the mechanic held on to my motor for almost 7 weeks b4 he finally told me its no good. so now im searching for a new one. subframe is getting closer to finished but to fit the swingarm i need the motor in place so i can line everything up so this not having a motor is really starting to slow things down. i think ive found one but as with everyone in the motorcycle business (no offense to anyone here) he has no sense of urgency so im just waiting on his call back.

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
still slow progress. check the bitch section and you will see the mechanic held on to my motor for almost 7 weeks b4 he finally told me its no good. so now im searching for a new one. subframe is getting closer to finished but to fit the swingarm i need the motor in place so i can line everything up so this not having a motor is really starting to slow things down. i think ive found one but as with everyone in the motorcycle business (no offense to anyone here) he has no sense of urgency so im just waiting on his call back.
just make sure you buy it in person. i just got scammed on a motor :(

best of luck getting people to speed things up for you. nothings worse than having someone piddle around when you are trying to buy something from them.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
good luck with zee motor

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just make sure you buy it in person. i just got scammed on a motor :(

best of luck getting people to speed things up for you. nothings worse than having someone piddle around when you are trying to buy something from them.
the one im most interested in is here in town, rebuilt with a warranty. theres also one here on the forums fs thats my backup if the one in town falls through, hopefully ill know more tomorrow.

·
Clutch it up already!
708 Posts
Call the Dr. He can hook you up with a motor

Reactions: gsf1200R

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so after A TON OF DELAYS. Had to go through a bonded title process as the previous owner bought the bike and passed away before registering it. Motor was bad. Found another motor and then the snow storms delayed shipping said motor by almost 2 weeks. of course once the motor did get here the rest of the bike was locked up at the shop with the owner of the shop away on business (a week i thought would never end) but in the mean time ive just been building to my pile of parts and you will see those as this thing finally starts progressing again.

quick side note so this only needs to be mentioned once ALOT of this work is being done by a local guy named kyle. he has a small shop he shares with a few gear heads and has the tools for this job which i do not. besides a 300 piece set from craftsman my garage is pretty empty so while the ideas here are mine and im doing some hands-on on various parts i do not want to take credit for someone elses work. If i did it myself trust me ill be mentioning it :)

so on with the update....

after much discussion it was decided that the order of this build would be swapping in the r1 swingarm to get a rolling chassis, then move onto the subframe. ill leave it at that for now but there are some other plans that are being worked on as a side project and ill let those be a surprise when i add them.

the swingarm so far has proved to be pretty difficult. its about an inch wider then the frame itself (not to mention that nothing lines up but more on that later) and so it needed to be shaved down a bit. easier said then done and after about a weeks worth of brainstorming it found its was into the cnc machine.

it is a perfect fit. ill get pics of the bearing work being done now as soon as its complete. i know with only 2 pics and all this time it doesnt seem like i was DW but with a problem at every turn it seemed, im just happy i finally am over that hump and actually have somthing to report.

·
327 Posts
07-08 R1 swinger right?! save your self the trouble and go with the R1 rear wheel and rear brakes as well. just went through hell to keep my zx7's original rear wheel/brake on same swinger. use the R1 shock and linkage as well if ya can.

·
Atlanta StreetFighter
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha lol i took one look during mock up and immeadatly bought everything u just said. found an amazing deal on an 08 wheel (with tire) with sprocket, rotor and caliper for 100 bucks. machining the parts to fit the gsxr wheel just didnt make sense after that. had the wheel spun just to make sure it was straight and other then needing a cush drive the setup was flawless.

funny thing is as you were typing that i was reading your build thread and thinking looks like i made the right choice!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts