Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I decided to make a build thread for my bike. I'd say I'm steadily nearing the halfway point of this build. I bought this bike for $500 and it wasn't good. Lots of parts missing, altered the frames rear to accommodate a different seat and tail fairing, which was poorly welded and positioned. Three stripped bolts stuck kn the front wheel which he grinded the heads off to remove the rotors. Carbs hooked up wrong, the list goes on. I digress... here is the bike as it sat before any modification on my part. I know... pretty bad

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure how to insert pictures in the midst of my posts so bare with me. First order of business was getting it running.

I reassembled all the hoses the way they should be and quickly realized I needed the correct petcock to proceed as the current one was starving the engine. It wouldn't run at all. Just rumbling and random afterfire.

I utilized this time to take the carbs apart for cleaning and inspect for repairs. Only thing I needed to replace were the pilot plugs and the vacuum port caps. I also measured the floats and realized he over compensated the float measurements to try and make up for lack of fuel intake. What a maroon.

I also removed the PAIRS unit. It was partially unhooked already, and I'm not wasting money on something that's useless. Now I have room for my lacucharacha horns. *fistpump*

The new petcock came in and it fit like a glove thank god. Hooked it all up and was greeted with a rough idle. Anything below 2500 rpms would result in a slooow steady descent to 0. I kept it on 3000 until a later date when I purchase a synch gauge.

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I use photobucket to post pics here. I think that it's easy enough to use, could just be I'm used to it. Might be worth checking out...

Nice job saving this bike's life too man!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The kid laid it over twice by the looks of it. Fairings all scratched to hell on both sides. I had to replace a case cover because the pavement grinded clean thru it. I guess he thought it was okay and used calking to plug the hole shut. I took one look at it and ordered a new one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a whole new front wheel assembly. This bike had a front wheel, but was only on by the axle and castle nut. No spacers but the inner and the bearings weren't looking good.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but the PO had stripped three of the ten rotor bolts and that little McGuyver shithead decided "Hey... fuck those bolt heads, I can get them out later" and grinded the heads narrow enough to slip the rotors off of them. So now I was tasked with getting them out with little meat on them to work with.

I tried everything. I first utilized the one he cut and tried to use flathead screwdriver, vicegrips, and LOTS of liquid wrench. Moved on to drilling and easy out. I managed to break off two of the bolts with the ends still stuck inside. I either had to buy a new wheel, or pay a machine shop to drill press some new holes, and retap them for a larger bolt. All of which would cost time and money

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured my only two options were buy a replacement wheel, or do the machine shop method. So I took to the web and checked some pricing to see which option was cheaper. I came across an ad for a 92 wheel on ebay... cool. Tire on it... nice. Rotors come with it... awesome! 50 bucks?! Get the fuck outta here!

I talked with the guy for awhile. "Ok what's wrong with it". He owns a salvage shop over in VA and said this came off a bike that was flooded out in a hurricane. Claimed there was nothing wrong with it. No corrosion, nothing. So I jump on it and in the comment for the buy I requested he remove the rotor bolts. I get a message back saying "Sorry, your purchase is already packaged and shipped." even though he would have had to read my message before he did this. I was pissed, cause I knew this meant one of two things.
1. He already had it packaged prior to me buying it.
or
2. Theres something he knows about those rotors that I don't.

It came in the mail and I got to work. Lubed them up nice, and started removing them one by one. They were tight. So tight that when they broke loose the jolt felt like I smacked my palm with a hammer. But once broke loose they were fine. On my very last one I go to turn the socket wrench and it spins freely. At first I thought it was already broken loose, but no... there was no resistance. My stomach turned and looked closer and see the last bolt is stripped...

...and boy the obscenities were flying.

I was somewhat back at square one. I calmed down for a bit and gathered myself. After all this wasnt near as bad as the other wheel. I still had meat to work with. I had a buddy weld a nut on, and tried to use a socket wrench to get it loose, but it broke off the nut. I tried an easy out, nope. I sighed and accepted my last resort, and went to my grandfathers old Snap-On tool chest that was handed down to me, 3rd drawer, his chisels. I used a side grinder to cut a notch in the bolt head and started knocking on it with the chisel. The one side was quick to break off. Down to one side I continued and finally it budged ever so slightly, so fine that I though I may have been seeing things. More tapping, more movement. It took me all of a half hour to back it out. Success!

The tire was dry rotted. Probably from the salt water. I'm going to take the wheel to a tire shop and have them switch out the tires. I'll replace the valve as well. At a later date I might Paint the wheels another color. But at this time I'm getting the bike the way I want it then once I'm satisfied I'll take it apart completely, clean everything, then comes the painting. No promises on when that'll happen. I'm more than content with riding with a less than flattering paintjob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a break most of this week from working on the bike. I've been working 14 hr shifts all week and haven't had much time. I managed to clean the tank out. Used 5 gallons of apple cider vinegar, sloshed it around and let it set for 24 hours. I Emptied half, dumped in a 6k count of daisy bb's and shook it like the Dickens. When I emptied it I was shocked with how much crud came out. I'll be chopping up the subframe most likely tomorrow. Off work all next week so I might finish this bike. Who knows.

Edit: Got a lot done since Friday. Pictures to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts