Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a new 929rr! Yay for fuel injection! How i got it

Yes its hideous! Disgusting grips and seat covering!

Found that two of the (chrome bleh) stator cover tabs were snapped off the engine case when the dude dropped it. He then attempted tocreate new ones out of quicksteel. So i found a bangin deal on a used motor on ebay!

Swappy swappy

Plans are: make it look good and make the subframe structurally sound

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
fuck yeah

·
Registered
29 Posts
F'dup - dude that made me bust out laughing :rock:

I love that frame style. I'm definitely going to check back on this one. You have an idea on what direction your going with the tail?

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F'dup - dude that made me bust out laughing :rock:

I love that frame style. I'm definitely going to check back on this one. You have an idea on what direction your going with the tail?
Im definitely going to keep this one bobberiffic. If it has any tail , it will be stubby and alloy, along the lines of my oil boiler gsxr750.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hacked up my old scrapped TLS subframe and borrowed some bits for the 929 subby.

Broke out my tube of Elmer's Aluminum Glue and stuck them all together

These are my first beads of AC TIG so don't be rude! Some of the tacks look good ... the final passes ... not so much ! Oh well, these pieces are only semi-structural so i'm not concerned about it.

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
You will be loving the AC TIG! I spent a bit of time fiddling with the frequency balance and gas flow which made a big difference. I also got a little stainless steel brush to clean up the aluminium first, which is supposed to be pretty crucial. Look forward to seeing your progress with the TIG! P.S sorry for the unsolicited advice :D

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the tips henry! I am fiddling with the AC balance but the crappy part is the dial is not clearly labeled. It only says 10% to 100% so I cant tell which side is electrode positive and which side is negative! Gah! I havent fiddled the gas flow yet ... how can you tell if the flow isn't high enough?

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OOoooo that is a damn helpful little page! I was getting a bit of brownish contamination so I definitely have to check my gas flow. I just got a neat gas lense so i have to try that out too.

My brother in law is a professional welder and he is coming over this weekend so I am going to have him play with it and get it dialed in.

Anwyays, i got it all ready to ride, only to find out that the ECU is dead again. AGAIN. This is already my second one. I don't know how the 929RR ECU's are so terrible! And looks like the supply is dwindling because the cheapest I can find on ebay is $250. So now I have $500 into the bike just in replacement ECU's. Just terrible, honda! It's very very frustrating.

Here it sits with the new FZR light and grips

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Don't keep feeding the thing ECUs!

There will be an issue such as a poor earth which is causing your problem. I killed a 918cc CBR ECU once by unplugging it without turning off the ignition. I imagine you're doing something similar by having an intermittent connection somewhere. I would start with anything that was modified when bobbing the tail, then any earths which might be loose, and last but not least importantly, the battery terminals and whether they are tight enough.

Basically, you're in for a whole lot of stripping off electrical tape.

If ECU's are short supply, it could be because the euro model of this bike came with the HISS immobilizer. Lose your key and you need a whole new HISS set - or a USA model ECU without the HISS.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't keep feeding the thing ECUs!
I checked the grounds the first time I was diagnosing the issue, grounds are good.

I feel like a retard for admitting this, but maybe someone can use it as a cautionary tale. I think it may have been from the TIG welding on the bike while the ECU was still plugged in. I thought it wouldn't be an issue because the ground clamp was inbetween the ECU and the weld area .. but apparently the high frequency can do some pretty gnarly things to electronics. LEsson learned: always unplug your ECU and R/R when welding on your bike!! Bahhh. Expensive mistake!!

And yes, they are likely getting rare because of those europeans stealing all our HISS-less ECU's, but 954 ECU's are readily abundant on ebay. I think Honda must have figured out the problem and made them subsequent ones much more reliable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts