Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 435 Posts

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Feel free to leave any comments, good or bad.

Having subframe designs woes. But I think I got it now. Got a bit to do just to get it bolted up Then I can begin the bending. I had to abort the original design posted previously in order to level the learning curve. And Murphey (Laws) must have gave me the wrong dimensions. WTF? But now I have a better idea of a layout and simplified the frame connection. There was just to many "compounding variables". (my wife is a counslor) I will have pic's as soon as I get it bolted up. Then it will be off to the welders I guess. I am starting to think that a mig welder for $600 isnt such a bad thing. My wife might be signing me up for a welding class, so maybe I can weld it up there after I start?

On another note... I got the brackets made for the seat cowling. Which "looks better than factory". (quote when I am working on helicopters = did good work)

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Jacked! Figured out the subframe! Pictures coming soon. Got to get the supports put in and get it welded up. Pictures tomorrow. Shooting pool on a league tonight and took the day off to go to a movie with the wifey. Right hand controls coming tomorrow, rewire plug wires. Left hand controls came in the other day. Rewire those aswell, mutt controls really left from an 02 gsxr1000 and right from 99 bandit 1200. Should go well, hope they match. Need a 6 pin ignition switch to connect to more modern harness. Anyone? Ohhh need some fuel line too. Fuck it, I will get it myself. Ha.

Hey found a web site for connectors. Easternbeaver.com check them out.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Picture update, not much to it but...

Working on the lower supports now and the tank support plate. Will also be closing it in on the bottom with some alumi sheet some how. Comming along though, one cut at a time.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks!!! Ya, I am liking it a lot. The lines look really good and the seat looks like it belongs. Not bulky, and very simple. :knucks:

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Got the tail light with integrated turn signals mounted with a plate bracket for the license plate. Also working on the lower support brackets. I just taped them up to see what they look like. They have a place so that I can rivet them in place for the welder when I take it in after xmas. So far pleased with the way the light mount came out. And with the cowling on there it looks good from the back. Just got to figure out the electronics bay and battery tray as well as some cross supports for the fuel tank and a catch for the front part of the seat to latch in. Which need to be figured out. Also need to figure out how to get the harness to the electronics bay. Hmmmm...

Question: what does one use to cover the undertail? I have a sheet of aluminum that I can use but dont know if that will be too much alumi to look at? What do you all think?

:knucks:

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
hells yeh... i love it like one of my children

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I am taking a break through the holidays. But shouldget some cash and what not to continue after the new years.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
(pictureless update)

got the subframe supports riveted in place for welding. Turned out nice I think.

I do have concerns about taking it off the bike to get welded though.
Because of how I had to curve the seat rails by making cuts, and I also had to do the same to the supports to line up with the seat rails, I am afraid that after welding they will be off and not fit back on the bike. Not only that I dont want to find out that my idea on bending the aluminum was a bad idea by the welder. That would be bad.

I was thinking that I could try out those aluminum brazing/welding rods. (not the harbor freight ones) but the good ones. I sure would like to say I did the work myself. Any thoughts on this would be awesome.

Pictures tomorrow, too cold out there for pictures tonight.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well... That didnt go aswell as could be expected. I would say epic failure. I am deciding to take it in and have it welded instead. The alumi-weld has its benifits but you really need a torch that can get the material hot quickly. I bought a Oxy/Mapp torch kit but the Oxy ran out in about 20mins. Right in the middle of my work. Tried just using a regular torch but it was too cold out side and couldnt heat it up and keep it hot enough to move the material. Got in touch with a welder and he quoted me about $100. Guess that is a good price with a warrantee, and free advice. So I will be going that rout after I get he Alumi-weld cleaned off my frame now.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
On a better note... I did find an ignition switch from a 98 GSXR 750 and I also ordered the connectors I needed for the controls and gauges and what not. Once I get the subframe figured out I will start cutting down the harness to clean it up and install it. Along with the battery box.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Looking to completely redo the whole subframe. The series of cuts dont weld up worth a crap and want to crack out at each of the cuts. Looking at solid bar aluminum stock. Just got to find a bender to bend my bar. Or taking it to r-r-racing.com to do a custom one for me.

Got my electrical connectors though. So I can get to the electrical portion of this and maybe get bike running again while waiting for subframe work. Three steps forward, two steps back I guess.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ok After a good day of brain storming and looking at the pictures on my phone for ideas as to what to do about the subframe. I came up with this.

Why bend what doesnt need to be bent. The Ducati Monster seat has rests for its subframe. that are exatly the same dimension as the GSXR frame inside diameter of the upper mount holes of 8 1/4". The only reason I didnt go with that in the first place is it would have rased the profile of the seat and seat rails another inch. I didnt want a bulky looking tail. So I went to work with the dremel and a plastic cutting wheel and lowered the rail rests on the seat. (dremel died a honorable death right before I finished) My only problem with attaching to the inside of the frame is how that is going to look. I decided to go with solid aluminum bar stock of 1" x 3/4". So I am going to have to do some work just to make the bolt end look good. Now remember I only have a set of files and a hack saw and a vice.

The lower mount holes on the GSXR frame are even wider than the upper ones. So I will have to angle them up to the upper rails.

Now my only quandry is: Should I use welded miter cuts on the rails and lower supports and weld them to fit to the outside of the frame mounts for the best looks.
Or... Should I just go to the inside diameters and call it good? I would still have to do some sort of miter cut on the lower supports.

Pictures coming soon.

·
Back at it for now.
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well... I have decided to quit posting my failures.

Subframe is built and I love it. Seat latch is installed. Tail light assy is mountable now. Working on fuel tank attach plate and and forward seat catchs. Pictures are coming once I get things back together and mounted on the bike again.

41 - 60 of 435 Posts