Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Honor Before Glory
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the ad up in my local CL
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/2803206337.html

I've been looking for a cheap project bike to start with, and since he's asking $1200 OBO it's around my price range.
Wondering what you all think, and any advice is welcomed...

-What things to look for when doing a pre-buy inspection
-year/model specific info that might sway my descision
-examples of zx7r fighters from this era
-etc.

Thanks

·
motorbikes'n'rollerskates
170 Posts
if you do end up going for it i don't think you should pay the asking price. laid down still means dropped i don't care what the speed.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
As a motorcycle its fairly rare. For a sub-$1k price it would be my first choice.

As a fighter they are prime.
Has great torque and get up as well as agility.

Usds big brakes and still retains carbs= fooking awesome base for a fighter

·
motorbikes'n'rollerskates
170 Posts
Anyone who posts "OBO" has to expect to knock at least 20% off the asking price... right?
hahaha pretty much. it's almost like they feel like they're being a little ambitious so they hope you go for it. but really, if you have the cash right then and there they'll take what you're offering them as long as it's reasonable.

knowing me though, if i were buying a bike on my own, i'd find some stupid way to pay MORE than the asking price. :doh:

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
HUGE brakes, I got a 97 and there like 320mm rotors up front.
TONS of mid range torque, more than you could ask for.
They were designed as street legal race bikes, and they also benefit from the most race refinement in there motor, suspension, and braking of about any other Kawi out there. Which helps a LOT when it comes to twistys, the 7Rs are beasts in corners, Ive read somewhere where it is still the king of mid corner exit speeds.

Things to watch out for, noisey valves on em, its suppossed to be an easy fix however.
They run hot, so check the fan blades if you can. And they can develope electrical gremlins however most of them trace to either a 100ohm resistor in the ignition switch, or the fuse box which is sealed however the seals wear out...

I say, go for it. Sure the zx7R series was made in much smaller quanities than other sport bikes, but its also got a lot of pluses with the race engineering as well. Plus a LOT of zx9 stuff, and newer kawi stuff is a near direct bolt on. Another plus for making a fighter out of it, is those plastics fetch a pretty penny (rare bike thing again) So you can compensate, say maybe 500 ish off the price for selling the body work. Or just offload the plastic and use it as a build fund.

Far as fighten them goes, youll need some dirty bars they have LOW clipons. Shorten up the pipe, swap the tail out (which is bolt on btw) and your gravy.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
As with any sportbike, make sure it doesn't pop out of gear on heavy acceleration, splitting cases is a lot of work and gaskets no matter what. 1200 around here buys you 80's bikes or bike parts, so it seems like a good price, beware of engine knocks.
zx7rs have always been some of my favorite bikes, GL.
Oh yeah I have melted ZX fans before, if you get it, get a muzzy aluminum, flows better air, wont turn to goo.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
As with any sportbike, make sure it doesn't pop out of gear on heavy acceleration, splitting cases is a lot of work and gaskets no matter what. 1200 around here buys you 80's bikes or bike parts, so it seems like a good price, beware of engine knocks.
zx7rs have always been some of my favorite bikes, GL.
Oh yeah I have melted ZX fans before, if you get it, get a muzzy aluminum, flows better air, wont turn to goo.
Ture story, they melt LITTERLY melt there fans.
The muzzys are iirc 6 blade vs stock 4 blade, plus angles of the blades are differnt so they flow massivley more air. And I beleive there pretty cheap too. I think around 35-50$
I need to get one too.

·
Jarhead Supreme
6,487 Posts
Have you contacted the seller yet? Get him to send ya a bunch of pics. If it has been down a couple times, I would think that some of the side covers may be scratched, which can be pricey to replace. He didnt mention whether the bike ran or not, so there's that.

Trust me, you dont want to buy a bike that needs a lot of work, I learned this the hard way (I'm assuming this is your first fighter project). Excitement and being overzealous can make you buy a motorbike that is a POS and a half. Trust me........

Bring a bag o tools, a multimeter and a flashlight and dig into the bike as much as he will let you. Turn this into a QA inspection. You want to check everything.

Refer to this and make a check list, you might get a weird look from sellers, but it's your money and life.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

GL

·
Honor Before Glory
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed him and asked about the bikes issues, this is his reply:

"It needs an air recirculation valve for the carbs. This would get rid of the bit of mid range hesitation it has in the higher gears. It runs well despite that though. In about a year I would get a new clutch but its not pressing. There are also the couple scratches that I would like to paint over"

I think he means the EGR valve (exuast gas recirculation)
Anyone know what kind of job replacing this would be?

(EDIT: I just found a website explaining how to bypass the EGR with about $5 and 20 min, and it actually adds more power... FTW)

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Sounds more like the float bowl mod which is equally as easy and cheap, and the deal is these bikes carbs are designed to be preasurised, if you remove the intake or decrease the stock ram airs efficiency you need to do the float bowl mod. It then makes them operate just like a normal set of carbs.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had one of these, my first proper sportbike, they are beasts. I paid about the same because it had a stripped sparkplug hole, easy fix. The air block off is easy, pumping up the carbs with a srtage 3 and slapping on a full muzzy will bring serious power gains. When you take off the body work it'll make the rear look massively huge

But a good eBay find and a cut down subframe can tidy it up.

Like I said first sportbike and first attempt at a streetfighter, so it's kind of shit looking.

If it's running good, and hasn't been knackered it's a good deal at $1200, the guys desperate to sell so I'd start at $800. Like I said the things can be monsters, they're throwbacks to the days of 750cc superbikes so they had all the race tech of the time, and are still considered one of the best handling bikes of all time. Everyone says the ZX7RR was the homolagation special, but these benefitted from the tech too.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
I had one of these, my first proper sportbike, they are beasts. I paid about the same because it had a stripped sparkplug hole, easy fix. The air block off is easy, pumping up the carbs with a srtage 3 and slapping on a full muzzy will bring serious power gains. When you take off the body work it'll make the rear look massively huge

But a good eBay find and a cut down subframe can tidy it up.

Like I said first sportbike and first attempt at a streetfighter, so it's kind of shit looking.

If it's running good, and hasn't been knackered it's a good deal at $1200, the guys desperate to sell so I'd start at $800. Like I said the things can be monsters, they're throwbacks to the days of 750cc superbikes so they had all the race tech of the time, and are still considered one of the best handling bikes of all time. Everyone says the ZX7RR was the homolagation special, but these benefitted from the tech too.
Theres not a TON of differance in the production zx7rr's from the standard zx7rs. I know the dubba=ARRRrrrs got differnt carbs, differnt timing, and possibly differnt cams. And they all came with light weight fiberglass ( Read crack prone) body work. Oh and a lighter weight smaller battery too.

More importantly than making a fuck ton of HP, they are pretty torquey for an I4 also.

So did ya get it yet?!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
nice find. hopefully it checks out & u can get it for $800 to $1000. good luck man.

Reactions: RipTidePDX

·
Honor Before Glory
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I took a look and a short ride on the bike.
Not sure it's the one for me... 48,000 miles seems like a lot for a bike that begs to get ridden hard.

·
Registered
752 Posts
a dropped bike with high milage could mean a lifetime of abuse. wise to pass.
:thumbsup:
if you hold out you can get a decade newer for not much more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts