Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Compadres.

I'm still gathering parts for the 7/11 build, but I've come to a bump in the road. For starters, I need an entire swingarm pivot assembly. I plan on stuffing a '02ish R6 swingarm into the frame for the rear suspension. What parts would you suggest for this? More specifically, should I use the pivot assembly from the 750 and replace the bearings in the R6 swingarm to make it work?

The R6 swingarm mounting point is wider than the 750 swingarm by about 10 mm. I plan on getting the same amount of metal removed from both sides of the swingarm to ensure it remains centered. Until I actually get the pivot parts, and what not, I'm not sure what else work is necessary to make the R6 swingarm work.

Also, where do I find parts like the swingarm pivot assembly? I've contacted a few sellers on Ebay, but they seem a bit overpriced. Example:

Dear acudesperado,

Yes I have other parts, I have rear brakes, swing arm, back tire (which is listed), the shock assembly was recently sold. What other specific items do you need?

I won't remove the swing arm from the frame I'll chop it off and send you the bolt and everything and you can take it apart, guts and all, for $75.00. I can take a picture of it, and list it on ebay as a buy it now, just let me know if you are interested.

- swtdawn83

I'm lost and I could use some guidance...

As always, thanks for your time.

-G-

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Gimme the guys name, for $75 for a swingarm and all the guts, I'll buy it myself! LOL Having the swingarm and part of the fram it came with would be a great asset since you've got all the mounting parts with it and can see how it goes together and what different parts you will require to make it fit to yours, thats a BONUS!

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it'd be a good idea to buy the parts for the right year model...Took a look at the title this morning after brewing over the microfiche at Ron Ayers to determine I have a '93 frame and not a '94. At least I didn't buy those parts... :(

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
Depends on what diameter the pivot bolt of the R6 Swingarm is. Your '93 should have a 20mm bolt in it.
I would use the stock pivot assembly of the Gixxer, grind down the swingarm a little on each side to fit it centered
and get some sleeves to make the swingarm work.
I wouldn't replace the R6 swingarm bearings if there is an other way to work it out.
Usually it's not only the bearing, there should be something like a spacer between the bearings
in the swingarm that holds 'em on pressure.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
I need an entire swingarm pivot assembly. I plan on stuffing a '02ish R6 swingarm into the frame for the rear suspension. What parts would you suggest for this? More specifically, should I use the pivot assembly from the 750 and replace the bearings in the R6 swingarm to make it work?

-G-

I don't really know where to start with this so here it goes:

1) Get your swing arm
2) Get the pivot bolt
3) There's no magical place to score parts. Shit's not cheap.
4) You can't tell whether or not to use the bolt from the gsxr or the R6 until you have both in your hands.

Doing fabircation like this usually requires cut parts and spent dollars to create something unquie and different. Buck up and buy the parts then sell whatever is salavagable on ebay.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the only difference between the '93 pivot bolt and the '94 pivot bolt is the order in which things go. I wound up purchasing the swingarm assembly and it arrived yesterday. I need a few more parts, like the 1k gsxr shock I ordered, and then I'll actually get to work on the swingarm swap.

Depends on what diameter the pivot bolt of the R6 Swingarm is. Your '93 should have a 20mm bolt in it.
I would use the stock pivot assembly of the Gixxer, grind down the swingarm a little on each side to fit it centered
and get some sleeves to make the swingarm work.
I wouldn't replace the R6 swingarm bearings if there is an other way to work it out.
Usually it's not only the bearing, there should be something like a spacer between the bearings
in the swingarm that holds 'em on pressure.
By sleeve, I assume you mean a metal tube that matches the ID of the r6 internals and the OD of the GSXR pivot bolt?

I don't really know where to start with this so here it goes:

1) Get your swing arm
2) Get the pivot bolt
3) There's no magical place to score parts. Shit's not cheap.
4) You can't tell whether or not to use the bolt from the gsxr or the R6 until you have both in your hands.

Doing fabircation like this usually requires cut parts and spent dollars to create something unquie and different. Buck up and buy the parts then sell whatever is salavagable on ebay.
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on selling the '93 and '94 swingarms once I get the r6 conversion finished. Another thing I noticed looking through the microfiche is the shock linkage on the R6 may mount differently than the gsxr linkage. I'm always down for a challenge, I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew...

Thanks again for the input gentlemen, I appreciate your help and suggestions.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a side note here:

The pivot bolt for a '94-'95 swingarm has a bigger diameter than the '93 pivot bolt. Also, I am not doing the R6 swingarm swap because the R6 swingarm is longer than the '93 1100 swingarm I have. However, I do plan on using the '94 750 swingarm I purchased off Ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts