Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you guys think looks better?

1 - 20 of 811 Posts

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

as the title says this is going to be my first fighter and im sure its going to run me for a loop with how old it is. im learning a lot about it every day just by reading everything i can that you guys write day in and day out. so this is a thanx for all the help so-far and also for future help that im sure you will send my way.

so with all that out of the way heres a few specs about the bike and pics too!!

my bike:

its a 95 and was in ok condition, runs good (needs carb work), suspension is pretty solid yet and all the plastics were there (or so i thought).

after a bit of inspection i found that i was missing the upper faring stay, the front cowl was wasted and the lower farings were toasted from the exhaust.

so instead of paying a ton of money to put it back to stock beauty i desided to look around on the internet to see what could be done with it and thats where i found you guys. the bike now looks like this.

i was happy riding it just like that for the time being until the bug bit and i bought these:

2005 ZX10R forks and lower triple clamp. i think i got them for a steal at $100. from what ive read they will be a drop in affair, but if thats not true i know i can just swap steering stems and call it a day. i still need a top clamp, clip-ons, and front wheel and calipers to make it all work.

thats where the story goes south. came out the other morning to ride the bike to work and wouldnt you know it its on its side. guess i didnt have the stand all the way out and it fell over. broke a few things that i didnt want to have to replace.

thats obviously the generator cover and i was planning on just using something like liquid metal or JBweld to fix it till i could find a replacement but its beyond fixable so thats out the window.

i broke the left side rear set also but that was fixable. it looks like this.

im hoping that this stuff works as well as they say it does.

so thats where i sit at the moment. im looking at a few new headlight ideas, but they are being pushed back till i can get her riding again. im not sure what all im going to do with her just yet but im sure its going to be a never ending project.

any help, suggestions, criticism, or comments are more than welcome. ill update as things go. also if anyone has a generator cover for me id be happy to take it off your hands lol.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats the plan, i found all the parts that i want to put on the bike already. just gotta save up some money and DW. the only thing thats giving me trouble is trying to find that damn cover. ill keep looking tho. im sure one will hit ebay eventually.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive been throwing the idea around in my head about a sssa swap. dont know if its possible on my funds or if its even worth it but i love the look. we will see where that heads us later on down the line. for right now its all about getting her riding again. im looking for a gen cover as we speak.

·
Penetrator Rex
239 Posts
Dude, she is a beauty. My 96 was a rescue and so far all I have gotten done is cleaning the carbs and reconnecting the fuel system, had to buy a new airbox since the old one was broken. I would suggest taking pictures of everything before you disassemble it because even though the factory service manual is helpful, it can be quite vague sometimes. Looking forward to seeing what you do, and subscribed.

PS: If you need the manual shoot me a PM, its really helpful when it comes to exploded views and stuff.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm kind of wondering what efi could do for me. I've seen some efi setups online and like the idea of it. I have a spare gsxr600 motor and full injection system with the entire harness and fuel ecus to go with it. Hmmmmm the ideas are flowing strong today!!!

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
updates are awesome:

i just ordered the front calipers, lines, and stock top triple. gonna mock this shizz up for now till i can find a wheel and a generator cover. does anyone know if the single swing arm swap has been done to this frame before? i want to read up on the specifics for my bike before i jump in head first and drown.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get parts in the mail today! Should have the new forks on this week. Time to find a wheel, axel, and spacers. Still haven't gotten a gen cover yet either.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered the gen cover off eBay, got my top triple and front brakes in today. Kinda pissed tho cuz they didn't give me the banjo bolts and crush washers with the calipers so now I'll have to find some. I'll be DW this week for sure!!!

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a bit of work done today. Got the old front end off the bike and found out a few things. For one the front axel is the perfect size for the zx10 forks. I'll have to get the left fork drilled out a little tho so the lock nut will fit right. Looks like I'll be ok using the stock wheel. Second is that the lower triple fits almost perfectly in the frame and all I'll need to do is get the bearing cups from a zx10 to make that work right. Time to make some calls and locate some bearing cups so I can tidy up the front end. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sure is, I can't wait to get this thing running again. I'll be able to tackle phase two in no time. EFI here I come.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as promised its time for some pics of the progress.

so this is where i started last night:

and after about an hour i was here:

i pulled the front axel with this contraption:

the lower triple fits almost perfect in the frame. all i need to do is figure out the whole bearing situation and ill be good to go.

heres a side by side of the old triple/bearings, and what the zx10 bearings look like. (completely different)

i talked to a friend today and hes going to help me find a set of cups and bearings to fit the zx6 tube with the zx10 triple. hopfully this will all be done with so i can ride again lol.

if anyone is interested i have a zx10 key, steering lock/ignition switch, and locking gas cap that i wont need. they are a matching set and are in pretty decent shape.

last but not least:

parts still waiting to go on^^

parts that im prolly not going to use^^^

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/spas2k2005/fighter%20folder/6084e449.jpg[.img]
the zx10 lock soon to be removed!^^^^

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Work will be done tonight to get the old girl riding again. Finally got my generator cover in and I'm itching to ride again. I'll send an update after work as I get into it.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
nice job so far. usd swaps always make me smile. any plans on updating the rear shock too?

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There will be an entire rear end swap one day, but that will wait till I can afford a single swing arm to make it work.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so its only a couple of days late but heres my updates.

new gen cover and gasket:

and installed:

once that was done a friend of mine encouraged me to tackle the carbs, the bike starts and idles fine but falls flat on its face above 4000 in third gear and does nothing at all in 4-6th gears. my guess is that either the carbs are horrible or the jets are bad. we will see this weekend.

went to remove the tank to find out that the PO took out the pet cock, and also ran a fuel pump that isnt right for the bike. only good thing was that the fuel lines were long enough to just turn the tank and prop it on the rear of the bike for now.

tank moved, air box off and carbs exposed. they really dont look too bad from what i can tell but i also dont know what im looking at to be honest lol.

i have a question for anyone in the "know"..... i think the evap/emissions stuff was removed, but something doesnt look right to me about this and my be a contirbuting factor for poor performance. heres what im talking about.

heres the stock carbs with the 2001 gsxr600 throttle bodies i have sitting in the garage. i put the carbs next to the gsxr motor just to see how far out the were and they dont even come close so for now ill just keep the carbs till i figure something out.

heres what the top of the carbs look like. ill have more detail about the clealiness of them tomorrow or sunday when i tare them down for cleaning.

top of motor without the carbs. the back sides of the valves look pretty clean so im hoping thats a good sign that the motor is ok.

next up on the list of things to do is:
1. clean the carbs and check the jets
2. put the stock front end on till the new bearings come in for the front end.
3. replace the old oil filter and do an oil change
4. ride it like i stole it!!!!!!!!!!!

im also debating on a few headlight ideas. any sugestions are more than welcome. till next time guys.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so small update and major question for you guys. First the update.

i did the oil change after the gasket sealer dried on the gen cover, put the carbs back on the bike (uncleaned) just to crank the bike over and get some oil moved around a bit to check levels. everything seems fine and no more leaks/ broken covers lol.

so heres where my question comes into play (i will be doing a lot of research on this also):

My friend came by to help me tare apart the carbs and see what we were looking at. i said before that the bike falls flat on its face above 4k in 3rd and does jack squat in 4th-6th. i think i found my problem. the jets and needles are a mix of stock and aftermarket. some of the primaries are 150's and some are unmarked. the plunger needles are a mix of stock and aftermarket. im guessing that the PO tried to throw the bike together and didnt know anything about what he was doing. its amazing that the bike even ran in the first place.

my question is this. i know i have an aftermarket (unmarked) straight through racing pipe on the bike, i know i need a jet kit W/needles, and i know ill need a different kit than stock since the EVAP/Emissions junk has been removed. What kit should i run to start out with so ill be in the ball park of where i need to be? i dont know what everyone is running on these motors with the few minor mods that i have.

my friend told me that DynoJet isnt a great kit for Kawis (he's got a mid 90's zx7). he has a slew of jets sitting aside that he said i could pick through if i could figure out the sizes i need. he has anywhere from 130's to 170's and everything in between. so basically i need help. not worried about tuning just yet cuz im going to read up on that once i get the proper jets and needles in.

as always any help you guys can throw my way is great, but i will be searching for the next few days on anything i can figure out.

thanx for your time guys,
until next time!

1 - 20 of 811 Posts