Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 CBR 900RR-The Rebirth

Picked this beauty up yesterday for a very respectable sum, had been wrecked in a field from the previous owner overriding a corner.

Everything major is okay, all the damage is cosmetic/shit that I will replace or rehab anyways. The first stage of this build will be getting it roadworthy again, looking halfway decent and riding the piss out of it this season, I'll do more modification/tinkering during the winter when I can't ride regularly.

Almost positive I'm gonna go with a KOSO XR-SR for gauges, and going to try and source a MT-09 headlight for it.

Its currently in parts because I started hacking the wiring harness up to tuck it and move the ignition switch to make room on the top of the triple for the gauges.

Pictures will come at some point in the near future, not much free time when I'm working 50 hours a week and starting engineering school.

I'm not new to the wrenching game, been fixing/modifying vehicles for a decade now and been a member on Pirate4x4 for quite a while. :fu:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update to start the build thread:

Bringing it home, I had to take the wheels off the back of my truck to get the bike in the bed, didn't have anything laying around to use as a ramp and only had myself and two chicks to get it in the bed.

After getting it home, task one was and still is to shorten and tuck the wiring harness in preparation for a quick and dirty 8" headlight and the Koso XR-SR gauge I ordered last night. After modifying vehicles for years, I've finally switched over to uninsulated crimp connections with marine grade heat shrink to seal it. From my experience, this is the best way to get a solid vibration and weather proof connection in a wiring harness. There's a reason mil spec and aerospace stuff is all crimped instead of soldered.

Tearing into and beginning to cut down, and redo the wiring in a way that isn't a pain in the ass if I end up having to diagnose an electrical problem in the future, will also isolate the various electrical systems into their own looms except where they crossover and tuck the wiring as much as is feasible right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can honestly say you are the first person i have ever seen take the wheels off their truck to get a bike out the back
Getting it out I snagged two of my neighbors to help. Only reason I did that getting it into the bed is because it's 36" off the ground at the tailgate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a lifted f-250 on 35's for the first two years of riding bikes i didn't have a ramp, life sucks driving around and around looking for a hill or curb or loading dock that you can get your bike off and on at haha i like your ingenuity!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts