Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I have a veryyyy far from stock 96 CBR 900rr streetfighter. Right now I have a 2005 600rr tail section and am thinking about buying up a 05 under tail exhaust that I can get for dirt cheap... Has anyone done this before on here? I'm still unsure as to how I want to route the pipe... Either next to the shock through the swing arm or outside the swing arm behind my rear sets... Looking for advice, picture, and whatnot... Here's a pic of my bike...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what it would look like:

Most likely how I'd have to route the exhaust:

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
If the mid pipe sticks out like that it'll look like shit. Bikes that use undertail exhausts stock usually have swingarms that have a cut out per say that allows the pipe to run tightly up to the tail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I mighttttt be able to sneak the pipe next to my shock through the swing arm. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have heard of cars that are lowered and need clearance that use basically an oval exhaust. That may be an option if you can figure out how to do that

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya know I was kinda thinkin might have to do that to squeeze by the shock/ swing arm.
This guy did it so should be possible. Don't know exactly what he did tho.

Also the exhaust I'm getting is the stock 05 which looks nice but I'd like to make it louder. Should be able to take it apart and hollow it out or change it up a bit right?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Maybe squeeze it in between 2x4's? Till you get it flat enough

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Ive got a stock 05 zx6r that will work. Its kinda heavy but you want it louder so you can gut it to make lighter and louder

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have any pics and how much?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The very way is a single side swing arm which then gives you loads of space for the link pipe.

Do not do this if it means an ugly boot-burning pipe up the outside of the bike. Please.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my pipe should be here soon! And I got ahold of a header shop that will do the bending to make the old exhaust match up. Here's the pipe I got and the reason I got it for so cheap. Has some plastic melted onto it. Have a few ideas for removing the plastic but advice is welcomed...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay! So time for an update, my 05 undertail exhaust came I today! Had to do some work even to mock it up, had to move my battery box, starter relay, and rear shock reservoir. ( battery box is the only thing I've found a new home for tho so far... Anyways it fits like a glove surprisingly! The downpipe fits right between the rear swingarm and shock, tho it needs to be slightly tweaked so that the pipe comes out a little straighter.... But overall I'm ecstatic! Anyways here's some pics of it mocked up. ��

Exhaust actually meets up fairly close...

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
.. that pipe is massive, too massive.... maybe if it were cut down so it didn't stick out so far it would look better....

be aware that running your exhaust close to your shock might cause the shock to heat up a lot more than it should resulting in a drop in performance from it....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well as far as the size that is the stock pipe for that tail... And eventually I'll get an "05" slip on for it. And I'm going to wrap the exhaust and extra around the shock

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I also think its a bit too long. It blocks the taillight in some angles. If you were to cut it down or of possible, delete a few inches of pipe just before it and get the tip of the muffler to stop at the same point as the tailight then it would look fuckin SWEET. Still looks way better than the other exhaust. Whatcha got planned for your old muffler by the way? I'll take it off your hands if you ask me nice :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts