Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Fairly new member here starting my vfr fighter project. I've been browsing through threads trying to find the look I'm after. I don't know if I found it yet but I'll wing it for now.
I started my tear down earlier this week. I'm on a tight budget of about $1000 to spend on it.
I work at an automotive factory as an automation tech and have access to all the saws, drills and welders I might need. So now for some pics to where I'm at so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF.......

That was one clean VFR before you tore it apart

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, it's going pretty slow but this is my first time. I was just throwing some idea's around for the tail. I cut the seat in half just above where it rises up, and cut the subframe the same and welded in some braces in the back.
Now this is just an idea so far. I want to cut the rear fairings to match and fab up the tail light section into it making it one nice piece, but its not an even cut anywhere so i'll have to use some fiberglass and fill and shape it.
My original idea was to just do a tail swap but that's so unoriginal. Any thoughts about it?
Here are some pics of the progress,

Well I couldn't upload them here, but I was able to put them in my album if anyone want's a look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this is where I'm at now. Took off the clip-ons and got some risers and had some drag bars lying around. I personally like the look so far, although I know some people are unimpressed with a cut in half subframe. I will probably make my own subframe later on but for now it will do. My next task is to tidy up the front end and get a headlight. I'm thinking of going with a 7" round light.

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I like the look of those drag bars!
And you are right about the subframe...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I've still been working on it slowly. This has been the coldest winter in recent memory and my garage is unheated. I did get a small subframe welded up and my wiring harness has been downsized. Not much more than that has been done. Hopefully spring gets here soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really like your tail. I painted my coolant reservoir black to match the engine.

Im not a fan of it being so big so Im probably going to use a small brake fluid reservoir and reroute it somewhere behind motor like on r1's. Tail is a stock tail from an 06 gsxr 600 just like the headlight. I'd say 80% of tail is bolt on.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Nice, have you cut down the standard 750 hugger or is that a vfr 800 chain guard?

My huggers buggered so i'm torn between running the brake hose through the swingarm or just getting a vfr800 chain guard to hold the brake line away from the chain and wheel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just noticed you still have your pair valves on (you should get rid of them). I think the one thing that makes the naked vfr's work is what headlight you go with. Ive only seen one that looks right and its not mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but the tail looks much better than I thought it would. Nice job with the budget so far. Headlight will look good as a single. Consider some DIY fork shrouds and some finishing work on the tail and you're golden.

Lots of nice 4th gen vfr streetfighters

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, tail has some work still, I need to make a box or enclosure to put the battery and electronics in. So far I have $40 into this build. My $1000 budget went to hell when I bought another bike this winter. Picked up a 96 Honda Magna 750. Basically a cruiser version of my vfr, with the same v4 750 engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts