Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my bike for a couple of months now, and it had been running fine until a few weeks ago. Basically, it randomly dies on me. It may happen at 60 MPH or 10 or at a stop or during warming up—It's very random. Once it does, it won't start again until I leave it sitting for about half an hour. Sometimes I can ride for 100 miles no problem and sometimes only a few feet.

I checked and got new spark plugs when it happens to see if they were becoming fouled with gas —No go. The air filter will sometimes become covered in oil, so not sure if not enough air is getting through. I've read about tip over sensors (not sure if my bike has it), crankshaft position sensors, breather tubes to gas tank (checked already). It's just hard to locate the problem as it's so intermittent. Weather doesn't seem to play a role. Carb rebuild m maybe?

If anyone could shed some light, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the bike runs good when it is running, it's probably not the carbs. Carb problems tend to be consistent, or at least related to weather or hot/cold engine. Random, intermittent problems tend to be electrical related.

Your bike doesn't have a crank angle sensor, it's carbureted. Has trigger coil/s. Those can go bad and cause weird issues, though they tend to act up when the engine gets hot. These can be tough to test, since an ohmmeter may read in spec, but they get out of line under heat or load.

Loose battery cable? Real common culprit of the "randomly dying" bike.

Most sportbikes since the 90's have tip over sensors. It's a little magnetic pendulum, when it swings too far off center it breaks the circuit. These don't go bad very often but I have heard of it. They can be located pretty much anywhere, I've seen them behind the headlights, in the front fairings, under the seat, and along the subframe in the tail. They're easy enough to test though. Service manual is your friend here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll go through and check all the wiring ASAP.

Also, I should add for some reason I've actually noticed it doesn't happen first start of the day. It's usually later in the evening when I'm leaving work or somewhere.

P.S. I'll ask here before starting a new thread? I'm having a hard time finding a jet kit for this bike. A lot of results pop up with the ZX6R. Would you happen to know of any or any which o could cross reference? Of course, I'll be doing this once I have the bike running without this problem.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Something like that might be related to the coils. I have a fuel pump on my E model, and the fuel pump relay sends power to the coils. Check that relay, and check coils for cracks or leaks. sometimes they don't leak sparks until they warm up.
I got my jet kit from factory-pro. good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'm going to make a list and check everything one by one. It may be awhile since I'm working 80 hours a week. Ugh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Finally have a day off tomorrow, so it'll be time to dig in to this and hopefully find a solution. My bike hasn't died randomly in a little over a week now, so I'm not sure. However, now I find my carb is leaking what looks like a mixture of gas and oil. Time to solve this now.

Update: So it just died on me again going home. Luckily I was on a hill and was able to pop into first and start it. I rode home just fine.

·
45 Posts
My 95' zx1100e did the exact same thing as your bike, drove me crazy trying to find the problem. very random stalling, have to wait for it to cool some before restarting, not fun. It was the pulsing coil, changed it out and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slow but steady progress. I replaced the pulsing coils: No avail. Still extremely random. I took my carbs apart and cleaned them thoroughly and synced them (Runs better than before at least with that). I have Monday and part of Tuesday off, so I'm going to test the spark plugs and wires, ignition coils, all wiring.

Could it be the petcock diaphragm getting stuck? May be time to rebuild that anyway. I noticed a little gas leaking into the vacuum tube leading to the carbs. Not sure if that's normal or not.

I've also noticed this seems to happen after I've ran it for a bit. Leave for work at 8:30am. Normal. Leave working at 11/12 that night. Dies randomly. After waiting and restarting several times, I'm able to make my 19 mile commute back. Then the process repeats.

I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully find a solution soon.

·
639 Posts
The bike didn't have it when you got it or never had it? Kwackers have had ram air longer than just about any other manufacture out there. My 92 600e had it. If it is removed it will do exactly what you describe. There is a modification that needs to be done to the air box to fix the issue. I had a hell of a time with my buddies until I figured out how to neutralize the ram air. There are several write ups on the zxriders forum. Might be worth a look. I think one of the writers for motorcyclist magazine did an article on it when he was playing with a zx6 or zx9 street fighter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh yes! I'll definitely add that to the list of things to check! Thankfully I'm off tomorrow, so bike-work all day! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got a chance to check that air switch valve assembly, and mine is nothing like the schematic. Mine is just a big t-fitting. No actual valve or anything (I'm guessing it is supposed to be a one-way check valve).

·
639 Posts
A t fitting to where? Most come out the airbox into the valve cover or into the airbox and then into the carbs somehow after the valve. I'll get on the big box here in a few minutes and do a little searching.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
639 Posts
Ive been searching and of course found hundreds of threads of something similar on just about every zx ever built it seems. Taking a step back and reread the post here and scrolled your intro post of when you got the bike. You mentioned someone rebuilt the carbs, and your getting oil in the air filter. I cant help but still lean to there is a hose connected incorrectly drowning your air for the bike. It sits or builds up oil in the filter you stall. Your choking for air. Ive plugged an air box up wrong once. 2 electronic plug identical but 2 different sensors. Ive also rushed through and not plugged my plug wires up all the way and every time I leaned the wrong way the bike would die. Its easy to skip a simple step when your almost finished and want to fire it up and toss a leg over. Try and find a plumbing diagram for the motor/airbox and see if it all looks correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably the most informative post I've read! Trust me; I've done some extensive research. Perhaps I wasn't searching the right thing. I should've taken a picture when I had my bike apart today. Basically, the schematic I gave you, there's supposed to be that hose from the airbox to air switch control valve, and then to the valve covers (where the reeds are). Mine goes from the airbox into a t-fitting, then to the valve covers. I believe whoever had worked on the bike previously, either didn't know what they were doing or half-assed it. Comparing mine to what's in the manual, there's a small hose at the bottom of the air switch control valve. Mine doesn't have that, as it's just a plan ole t-fitting. Time to research more! Thank you for the information though!

Update! Just as I suspected. There are two things with my air/fuel system which are completely wrong: Looking at other ZX600 carbs, there are two vacuum tubes connected with a t-fitting to the petcock (Mine has only one); also, the air switch control valve I was talking about, yeah, completely missing. Now, as to why it's intermittent, not sure. I'll be fixing these two issues ASAP. Whether or not it fixes the issue, oh well. It needs to be done regardless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts