Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
May be a cannibal?
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might remember my bike from my introduction thread awhile back. Well I finally got all moved in, in NY. The best part is I have a garage now.

Progress so far:

Stripped off a big 'ol box of brackets, ducts, and parts.
Swapped out 95-97 tank and seat for 98-02 tank and seat.
Mounted up dirt bars on my spare upper triple clamp.
Called Motion Pro and ordered Throttle push/pull and Clutch cables.
Scored a longer front brake line off of eBay.

Next on the list:

Chop rear subframe and use the Lost Foam Method to fab up a new fiberglass tail (thinking Buell style shorty)
Figure out headlight style (I have a 5" single or dual driving lights to use)
Swap out 95-97 swingarm and shock for 98-02 bits
Install Vortex sprockets and RK chain -1/+2
Shorten exhaust can and wrap header midpipe
Talk with painter about color choices

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Nice project. I just attempted the foam thing on the rear of my zx7r......after weeks of fucking with it, almost dying of fiberglass fumes I scrapped it and am going a different route. I hope you have better luck than I did. Keep up the pics!

·
May be a cannibal?
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spyder said:
theres no sweep on those bars? they look straight as shit..
hehe, yeah they are pretty straight, but I've got pretty long arms and they feel almost perfect, maybe alittle tweaking with the angle will help.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i would go +4 instead of going -1, +2...its basically the same. but going -1 in front will make you wear thru chains faster. :twocents:

project is looking great. keep the updates coming.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
The only thing to watch for when you swap out the tank is make sure that the underside of the tank isnt crimping that vac line shut. I tried to take it off and the bike ran horrible so it needs to be there as far as I know.

You can also make the fairings off the 05-06 636 fit

·
410 Posts
heh heh, my kind of ride...you now have my tank and seat on your bike...I have a couple first gen 6R parts left..rear grab bars, rear pegs...maybe a few other things laying around!

Looks like you are off to a good start...I want to do some fiberglass also, just have to find the time!

·
May be a cannibal?
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had some free time today to work on the bike. It was blissful, my wife took our 9 month old twins out for the day to give me a break.

I got the longer upper front brake line installed, chopped the ignition mount off of my second triple clamp, and dropped the forks in the trees a bit. I'm still not certain the riser set up is going to be the final style, I may scrap it and just mount taller risers off the main triple instead.

I need to check around for a powdercoater because I'm thinking about doing the triples, rearsets, and some assorted bits in black. I may also bomb the frame with PJ1 black.

I took some pics of the next bits to go on as well. Hopefully Saturday I'll get some time to work on it.

Gixxer 1000 calipers

Chain and sprockets

ZX6R/ZZR Swingarm

98 Shock

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
NICE, I like the double tripples on there, it looks cool

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
That swingarm looks so familiar...:cfrocks:

·
410 Posts
Damn dude, you need to move next door to me, so when I take stuff off my bike, you can put it on yours!!!

I am getting ready to put a 636 swinger and shock on my '00...then those are going up for sale to buy me more crap!!

Those double triples look kinda cool also...wish I knew you needed higher risers..just sold them also!!

Found a powder coating system on e-bay for $70
http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPLETE-POWDER...emZ330103649359QQcategoryZ22779QQcmdZViewItem

Sears has one for $190
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00917288000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Daaamn I want a powdercoating thing even more!

Too bad I don't have a giant oven to put frames in!

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Yeah no kidding. Even if you do small pieces and put them in your oven in the kitchen....it will stink up your entire house for a looooong time.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Maybe I should buy an industrial oven used and a powdercoater and have them pay for themselves.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
haelo said:
Maybe I should buy an industrial oven used and a powdercoater and have them pay for themselves.

id prawly end up paying off half that thing, mailing you all my parts to make em darkness!!!

·
410 Posts
trav72 said:
Yeah no kidding. Even if you do small pieces and put them in your oven in the kitchen....it will stink up your entire house for a looooong time.
Buy a used 2nd oven and hook it up inside the garage, or better yet, outside!! You can just put a tarp over it when it isn't being used! That is actually what a friend of mine did...but he still hasn't used his powder coating stuff, and that has been like 2 years or so. Maybe I will just go over to his house and steal all of it, he probably won't miss it for a while!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts