Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, first post here on this website. I was referred from an ehow article after i googled questions about making a bike a street fighter.
I attached a few pics with what i had on hand, I'll have to take some pictures and resize them so they aren't too big to upload.

Anyway, my 98 gsxr srad 600 was in a collision and has no front or side fairings (as you can well see). It also has no front blinkers and the headlight you see is ziptied in place and only operates the low beams as there is two plugs. I've already decided on some bar end mirrors so that part is not a worry.

I am absolutely new to this and don't know much about bikes in general aside from what I've managed to learn tinkering.

My main questions are regarding my headlight assembly and front blinker situation.

Will i need a headlight mount bracket?
Does it matter the type of headlights i choose in relation to fitting on the bike well?
Is there a specific place where i could and/or should mount the blinkers?
Any recommendations on brands/models for either?
Is there anything else i should be thinking about that I could be forgetting?

Any help is much appreciated. As i said any form of modification on a motorcycle is new to me so patience is also appreciated.
Thanks much looking to get my bike ready to register asap :smiliebiker:

Attachments

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Welcome to the circus!

1. You'll need a bracket of some sort. The headlight, whatever you use, has to be held by SOMETHING (and preferably not zipties). This could be clamps that mount to the fork tubes with tabs on the,. or it could come off your triple, or if you want it fixed (not moving with the bars) you can affix it to the frame somehow.

2. Whatever suites your preferences. ANYTHING can be made to fit on ANYTHING. I could take a turbo off a Cummins and put it on my bike... not that it would work well, but it could be done. My dad had a locomotive light on his square-case Duc SS 900 (supposedly, he sold it a few years before I came along)... I'm working on figuring out a headlight for my Buildoff bike, and I'm looking at everything from stage lighting to aircraft landing lights to headlights on cars, to piecing toghter my own LED's and lenses. Figure out what you want it to look like, then figure out what bits and pieces will achieve that look, then figure out how where you want it to sit, then figure out how to make it sit there... for anything.

3. See above. Anything you can make work, will work. That said, a lot of guys seem to like the MT-03 headlight (which is generally fork-mounted).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed a lot of people are using single headlights. Is there a way for me to ensure that one light can turn on both my high and lowbeams? Is there two plugs or would i have to wire the plugs on my bike together somehow?

Also being that i already have two headlights as pictured in my original post what's the likelihood i could build a housing to fit my bike?

·
3,993 Posts
You could put wo bulbs in one single round housing using two plugs, or use a single dual function bulb with a single plug. Wiring isn't difficult.

I only see one headlight pictured. But yeah, I mean you could make a housing for 10 lights if you want. If you have basic fabrication skills, you can do pretty much anything you can dream of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!
I went searching through my box of parts and found this piece that perfectly holds my two lights in place. It seems a little flimsy and i'm pretty sure it's just one part to a larger headlight box, but it's all i have at the moment.
I'm wondering if there may be a way to reinforce it and just use it as a base to hold my headlights? Perfectly open to DIY solutions in fact they're preferred.
Thanks again in advance for any help

Attachments

·
3,993 Posts
Well, what skills do you have and what tools/machines do you have access to?

·
Registered
91 Posts
With my 600 srad i am going to clamp the head light on to the fork legs then make a bracket for the speedo and fix it to the head light mounts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, what skills do you have and what tools/machines do you have access to?
Let's say i have little to no skills in fabrication, but i am competent enough to follow a youtube video's instructions.
Tools and machines.. basically what a mechanic would have in his home garage, my mom's husband is a mechanic.
Pretty sure he's got a grinder with different heads as well as a wide array of tools.

I've decided on ordering a fork mounted bracket so what i'm looking to do is make something that will go around the headlight piece pictured above that i can mount to the bracket, and maybe if it's doable some mounting holes for front signals as well.

Also was thinking about some chicken wire over the front of the piece pictured above to make a grille over the headlights

·
3,993 Posts
That's ok, you've got a prime opportunity here to learn some new skills. The first time I legitimately fabricated something from start to finish, was on a Jeep XJ I had in high school... never used a grinder before, didn't know how to weld, knew nothing about anything I was doing. I had set it up for rock crawling, and because it was a unibody it needed some reinforcement on the framerails. I saved my money and bought the materials and tools I thought I needed (many turned out to be useless) and learned as I went, often the hard way. I ended up spending as much as I would have if I just bought the stiffeners that were available, but I came out of it with a basic understanding of steel work (including welding) and more importantly confidence in myself and what I was capable of.

Use expanded (cheaper) or perforated (nicer looking) steel mesh if you're going to make a headlight guard, not chicken wire.
Whereabouts do you live, BDK?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's ok, you've got a prime opportunity here to learn some new skills. The first time I legitimately fabricated something from start to finish, was on a Jeep XJ I had in high school... never used a grinder before, didn't know how to weld, knew nothing about anything I was doing. I had set it up for rock crawling, and because it was a unibody it needed some reinforcement on the framerails. I saved my money and bought the materials and tools I thought I needed (many turned out to be useless) and learned as I went, often the hard way. I ended up spending as much as I would have if I just bought the stiffeners that were available, but I came out of it with a basic understanding of steel work (including welding) and more importantly confidence in myself and what I was capable of.

Use expanded (cheaper) or perforated (nicer looking) steel mesh if you're going to make a headlight guard, not chicken wire.
Whereabouts do you live, BDK?
That's the type of thing I like. A nice frustrating challenging task that in the end gets resolved with a little hard work and research.
I was thinking some kind of hard plastic might be better looking (and easier) than steel?

I live in south florida

·
3,993 Posts
Plastic is easier in some ways, but is much less forgiving. It's very difficult to irreversibly fuck up steel, though it is more difficult to work with. I'll take steel fabrication over plastic work any day.
Tell you what, if you want, do up a sketch with dimensions of the headlight panel you've got in mind, and I'll see what I can do. Call it a Christmas present from Custom Fighters.

Man I wish this would have come up sooner, my wife and brother-in-law are down in Boca visiting family and could have brought it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the looks of you light if you make or buy some L shape brackets then some fork brackets like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...248452?hash=item5b1c9062c4:g:UlgAAOSwMTZWSK~X it my fit ok by rember tto check fork size and bracket sizebe for buying
My forks are 45mm. I know it would probably be okay as is but i would really like to reinforce it one way or another. The plastic is just a little too flimsy for my liking.

Mcantar that's really very generous of you. I'll take some measurements and see if i can't come up with a decent sketch today!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it might not be a bad idea to post my options for clamp brackets at the moment

There's the one suggested above, which seems like a nice option for me.

There's also this one http://m.ebay.com/itm/141695948370 which is actually a roll bar bracket for something like a utv but i can't see why it wouldn't work for me. This one is 20 dollars and 360 degree rotatable.

Lastly i have this one http://www.speedmotoco.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=43mm-48mm+headlight+brackets which is a little more expensive but as my forks are 45mm and the rotatable ones are 44 it may be worth it to spend a little extra, so as to not have to grind away 1mm of space from my clamps before applying them. I do like to idea of my bracket being rotatable though.

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
WOOOO SRAD.

It already kinda looks like my last one lol

As far as the headlight goes just stick to something with an H3 bulb and you`ll be fine. I used something like a sportser headlight and just capped off the extra wires i wasn`t using. Mounting it is easy just find out the width of you forks and buy a bracket of flebay. The one i got where longer than i needed so i just cut them down and rounded them off with the bench grinder and wire wheel and then re drilled the holes for mounting to the light. Mounting you`re gauge cluster isn`t quite as easy...i never did get mine properly mounted. I actually used one of those heavy duty black rubber bungees and wrapped it tight to the triple. It held like a fucking rock and NO ONE EVER NOTICED IT. the bike did summersaults down the street and disintegrated into a thousand peices and it was STILL attached to the triple lol. When it comes to turn signals im one of the few folks who just dont fucks with them. Aside from my full fairing bike i do not equip signals, i just use hand signals for everything. Here in va its an "all or nothing" law when it comes to bike signals so i just remove them all together. HOWEVER you can get signals that attach behind the mounting bolts to your license plate as well as the bolts you`ll be using to mount the headlight housing to the headlight bracket. I may still have mine laying around. if i dig them out you can have them for free -the couple bucks for shipping.

Also you can get a k1 gixxer race tail and make it work with your current srad subframe, jus like the one pictured, i found mine for $75. You just have to disconnect the second half of the subframe and bolt a home made plate onto the section where the compartment lock used to be, trim out a little fiber glass to fit the seat and rig yourself a tail light. I used a tail light frm a honda 959,995? fuck i dont remember what its called.

Anyways, if you ever reach a point where you are in search of srad parts i can steer you toward the right person and get you just about anything you could possibly need for that bike.

Good luck with your build, im somewhat passionate about the srad because it was the first bike that i actually got hands on with and grew a true attachment to.

Off topic though. Do yourself a favor and take that swing arm stretch out and put proper links under it and set those forks back to its factory height. Its an old carbed 600 its nothing close to a drag bike and these things handle like greased horse shit when they are stretched and lowered. Seriously, the stretch just perpetrates and image that the bike simply does not fulfill and just looks silly at the expensive of not being able to handle worth dick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts