Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have my F4 project still without any end in sight, but something caught my eye.

I found a 98 VFR 'project' in Craig's. From the pics it looks like the plastics have been messed with, the tank has been bondo'd into some different shape or something, and it is missing wheels and forks. (and headlight, but we all know that wouldnt stay either way)

He's asking $800

I'm thinking I could maybe(?) throw my F4 front end on it, pick up a rear wheel, and just ride the bike as my daily while i work on sourcing an F4i engine for my F4.
Basically I woud be spending the money I was going to spend on the F4i engine to get the VFR and then wait on finishing the CBR

What are the pros and cons of the 1st(?) year of the 800 motor??

I really know nothing about these bikes except that 1 ppl seem to love them 2 they are hondas which is a good thing in my book.

So i guess this is a 'what would you do?' thread.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Ok, so I have my F4 project still without any end in sight, but something caught my eye.

I found a 98 VFR 'project' in Craig's. From the pics it looks like the plastics have been messed with, the tank has been bondo'd into some different shape or something, and it is missing wheels and forks. (and headlight, but we all know that wouldnt stay either way)

He's asking $800

I'm thinking I could maybe(?) throw my F4 front end on it, pick up a rear wheel, and just ride the bike as my daily while i work on sourcing an F4i engine for my F4.
Basically I woud be spending the money I was going to spend on the F4i engine to get the VFR and then wait on finishing the CBR

What are the pros and cons of the 1st(?) year of the 800 motor??

I really know nothing about these bikes except that 1 ppl seem to love them 2 they are hondas which is a good thing in my book.

So i guess this is a 'what would you do?' thread.

I know there is a supercharged kit for them:

If I found one cheap, I would finance the supercharger, leave it all naked with crash protection, and call it a day.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Hey I think I saw that bike in a forum post. The guy bought it for less than $800, sold the wheels and some other goodies on the bike and is now asking more than he bought it for. I remember seeing the post but i have too many forums.... can't find it. The guys were razzing him for it. I thought for sure it was on CF>

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts
im pretty sure it was on here.

anyway, the first gen 800 motors are the best, there fuel injected and there not vtec...

·
mekanik
267 Posts
my $.02 the FI is really easy to get right with a dyno, and the extra wiring is just as easy to hide, BUT, the side radiators can be a PITA if you're going sans plastics.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I think I saw that bike in a forum post. The guy bought it for less than $800, sold the wheels and some other goodies on the bike and is now asking more than he bought it for. I remember seeing the post but i have too many forums.... can't find it. The guys were razzing him for it. I thought for sure it was on CF>
Knowing where the bike is, there are only a handful of members from the area.

I wasn't gunna give him full price either way. I'm really not interested for anything more than 500.

If I cant hear it run, im not going over 3-400

google found this:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/motorcycles-for-sale/90490-fs-98-vfr800-project-bike-tn.html

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Knowing where the bike is, there are only a handful of members from the area.

I wasn't gunna give him full price either way. I'm really not interested for anything more than 500.

If I cant hear it run, im not going over 3-400

google found this:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/motorcycles-for-sale/90490-fs-98-vfr800-project-bike-tn.html
Yeah I don't think it's low miles. I think it's another gauge installed on a motor with 30,000+ miles.

That's DEFINITELY the bike I saw in that listing.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, he goes by the same S/N on here, and I found the for sale threads.

30k isnt the end of the world for a vfr, as long as it hasnt been beaten. I guess I should bring my compression gauge if I go look at it.

EDIT:

Shit, i just looked at the for sale ad, I guess he sold it some time last week.

Uh well.....

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,260 Posts
:D

Yeah, he goes by the same S/N on here, and I found the for sale threads.

30k isnt the end of the world for a vfr, as long as it hasnt been beaten. I guess I should bring my compression gauge if I go look at it.

EDIT:

Shit, i just looked at the for sale ad, I guess he sold it some time last week.

Uh well.....
you spend enough time hitting up forums and you will realize that BMiller is EVERYWHERE. :D

dude's got more crap than Sanford & son

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D

you spend enough time hitting up forums and you will realize that BMiller is EVERYWHERE. :D

Yeah, the name sounded familiar. I'm long time lurker of 3si.org and joined in '05

turns out .... yep hes a member...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts