Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my recently acquired 1999 Triumph Sprint 995i. I haven't gotten power to it yet but it looks like its got less than 15k on it. The tires have an April 2001 date on them so I would say that was the first tire swap then the guy wrecked it. It looks like he popped a wheely lost control and rolled the bike. Every peace of plastic is gone, so to me its naturally going to turn into a sweet little street fighter.

This is how she sits right now.

I got this bike because a customer owed me money. Its my first bike but not my first project by a long shot. (my intro thread) And I don't have a title. So my plan is to build a custom frame and make a custom street fighter a little better fitted to my size. I'm 6' 3" and I look like a monkey fucking a football on this thing. This pics got no seat so I'm really going to look like a fat hunchback making love to a church bell once I move my ass up.

After I get it running, drive it around for it a bit and figure this bike thing out I'm thinking
Lower the motor
Custom Air Box / Tank
Girder front end
Custom tube frame
Custom lights
Gauges
Custom pipes (Use the old Triumph Trident as a theme here)
A little longer wheel base
Longer swing arm
Move the controls
And drop a tooth on the front sprocket

I'm not racing bikes yet (I road race and autocross my hot rods) So I'm going to make it more of a cool comfortable sport cruiser and street racing toy. Most of my idiot friends want to roll race on the highway and there aren't too many good back roads around here that aren't solid gravel (I like sliding sideways but I here that doesn't work to well on a bike). I like the cafe racer look but I also have a thing for technology.

I really like this bike
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14757

And Ian (Meatpopsicle) has been giving me a lot of good information off of his design of the kick boxer.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26017

I like turbos too, so I might play with that idea later on

So I'm looking for any suggestions or links to cool build thread or concept photos I can ninja ideas from.

Thanks
-Russell

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why lower the motor? kinda curious to you reasoning for that?
To see what the effects are to the bike, use it to play with things and see how the ride and handling is effected, also to play with the thrust angle of the rear sprocket to the transmission. I'm not quite sure like I said I'm a motor cycle noob.

-Russell

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I'll throw you some more good reading material. http://www.tonyfoale.com/

There are some good chapters of his book available on google as well.
http://books.google.com/books?id=84...tcover&dq=tony+foale&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Unlike a car, lowering CG of a bike plays on everything, and not necesseraly in a good way. There's a very fine balance with weight and compnent placment. Also, lowering the motor could throw the anti squat of the chain out and cause an adverse reaction then what you intended.

Somewhere on this site, Shift1313 explained a lot of the chain pull and anti squat theory as well as how the linkage ratio and swingarm angle all work together. Another good bit of knowledge to have for design princables.

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll throw you some more good reading material. http://www.tonyfoale.com/

There are some good chapters of his book available on google as well.
http://books.google.com/books?id=84...tcover&dq=tony+foale&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Unlike a car, lowering CG of a bike plays on everything, and not necesseraly in a good way. There's a very fine balance with weight and compnent placment. Also, lowering the motor could throw the anti squat of the chain out and cause an adverse reaction then what you intended.

Somewhere on this site, Shift1313 explained a lot of the chain pull and anti squat theory as well as how the linkage ratio and swingarm angle all work together. Another good bit of knowledge to have for design princables.

Hell Ya, thanks for the info. I've seen Tony Foale's name thrown around quite a bit already and I'm ordering his book asap.

Even bigger thanks on the rear sprocket info. All the Harley freaks in my shop keep screaming HARD TAIL, no suspension no problem. Then I told them I'm integrating a shock into the front end of this springer inside the tube not outside like the other ones and they all just about shit themselves in excitement. ITS GOING TO LOOK OLD AND RIDE LIKE A NEW BIKE. :nuts:

So needless to say I don't get too much useful information out of these guys that's not 50+ years old. We were looking at the springer front end today I designed and built now that its all together Even keeps telling me how light it is. I was seriously thinking that at 25 pounds that this thing was a damn brick but its the same way with my 57 Chevy Truck with the corvette suspension. On the scales and 3400 lbs,
Everyone around here, "OMG that's it"
Me, "WTF, 3400lbs seriously. This fat bitch needs to go on a diet."

But he can build a mean motor, I'm trying to talk him into a RPM motor instead of a torque motor so I can rap 9k on a 134 CID Twin, could be fun.

Back to the Triumph, like I said first get it running. So a few days ago I went ahead and got some of the goodies the previous owner killed. Just enough plastic to keep my leg out of the fuel pump and off the electronics. The air box and IAT sensor were gone when I got her, the right grip was fucked hard and the start and kill switches crushed along with the throttle cable end into the controller. Got that and a new gas cap since someone had tried to drill the little bastard out and fucked it up. I don't know if this bike with its factory emissions needs pressure on the tank to keep happy like the FI cars do so this just covers that end of things.

Put a little ATF in the motor after draining the motor oil out and rolled it around some getting the gears to turn and slowly lube everything up and soak in to loosen up after sitting for so long.

-R^3

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Spring inside the tube? As in fork tubes like the Harmon spirders, or in the neck? Either way sounds neat. I have some pics somewhere of an original Harmon pulled apart I think. I'm still confused how they got the mounts in there. Unless it was all cut apart and then welded back together and smoothed. It's a clean setup though. Unfortunatly, it suffers from the same problem as most springers. It's an overgrown po go stick :D .

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Cool project man. That's a ton of work! I think it would be really cool to keep the single sided rear and build a single sided front. Gilera cx125 is a production bike that did this.

kinda takes away from the old school look.

Honda also did that with the NAS concept.

These guys are right. You don't really want to lower the motor too much. The way a motorcycle turns is by getting the CG off center of the bike. When you counter steer a bike it actually moves the front contact patch to the side so the bike wants to fall in. If you stick too much of the weight down low then your cg will be a lot closer to the contact patches when leaned over. Meaning it would be hard to lean.

Just to get your gears going i thought you might also like to see these bikes. This one is a photoshop but its from the guy who designed the gts1000 for yamaha.

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spring inside the tube? As in fork tubes like the Harmon spirders, or in the neck? Either way sounds neat. I have some pics somewhere of an original Harmon pulled apart I think. I'm still confused how they got the mounts in there. Unless it was all cut apart and then welded back together and smoothed. It's a clean setup though. Unfortunatly, it suffers from the same problem as most springers. It's an overgrown po go stick :D .
No no, a shock inside the springs so it looks like the old springer but has a dampener inside the tube so you can't see it. I would no longer use the top spring, it would be there just for decorations and maybe a nob to adjust the shock compression and rebound in an advanced version.

Normally this it the only way to get a shock on the front. It doesn't look too good to me.

I want to put them in here. (sorry old model, I'm working on the shock right now)

Matt, Thanks for the links earlier and again for the picks. Still converting my mind to think of 2 contact patches instead of 4.

-Russell

·
890 Posts
Apart from the fact that lowering the motor will affect the COG, you won't be able to drop it down much without fouling the chain on the swingarm pivot. You could "tilt" the engine down off the rear mounts, but then you'll foul the front wheel with the headers.

Best / easiest option is to just lower the suspension.....although I don't see the point unless you really want a fast bike that you can't lean over :nuts:

Just my $0.02 :)

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I'm still a car guy and these old Harley guys aren't helping. Lowering the motor was probably a bad idea. But with the lack of a title I will be building a new frame so right now its just a matter if what and why. I was thinking the 3 cylinder would allow me some lowering if I could gain something out of it.

A big thanks to Matt (shift1313) for the how to and why write ups he's sent me.

-Russell

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started riping into the little bastard today and I'm getting a better feel for the style I want to pull off and the shapes I need to do it with. I was freaking surprised at how unnecessarily heavy some of the shit on this bike, exhaust, muffler, sub-frame, tail plastics (whats left at least) and the wiring. Several useless relays, plugs for optional lights and the length of some of them.

The bike as it sits right now.

Got my new gas cap installed and cleaned out the tank. Fresh oil in it, got it turning over going straight to a battery (not trying to fire it up yet) I'm having to pin out the wiring and I'm looking for a wiring book to go through it. Compression is solid + - 2 psi and I think that was shit on the threads, lol. Just getting it so I can follow out the wiring and getting labels on everything with a plug that's not obvious.

Here I have it off the center stand and pushed down to ride height. The one with the tank didn't go all the way down, ran out of time before I found a hand hold to push on

This is what I want to do with my head lights playing with the modern Trident theme. I took my 3d model made a u3d file and dropped it on top with photoshop, it should be close to actual size to the 4" lights I'm looking at.

Current random idea of the moment, tell me if I'm crazy again. Custom tail sub-frame but move the radiator under it and do side scoops to feed it. I like the bobber / cafe racer tail style (sorry if I got my terminology wrong, please don't shoot me or flame my thread)

But a little different shape on the back side to keep it real short and on the bottom to complement the shape of the radiator and a little fender mounted to the swing arm to keep rocks out of it. This will also let me take the headers out for a better shape, of a turbo it I feel ballsy.
Lets just say I like my turbos.

I'll try to draw up the rear seat later.

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kind of like the idea of a hidden radiator. Just as long as it gets good air flow, it should be OK.
But you still have to plumb it. If you can hide the hoses, it'll look the tits.
I do fabricated AC Hard line on the Hot Rod stuff all day long. welding .065 wall 1.000" diameter aluminum tubing will be easy. I also might do several (like 4 in and 4 out, I calculate the cross section to make sure I don't restrict it later) .500 aluminum lines from one end to the other so I don't have the mass to deal with and might even make them exposed with a little style. I just blew 1200.00 in the last few months for a bunch of new flayering tools for all the 45, 37 and metric bubble flayers with some killer tube benders. Drop a few bucks on some nice AN fittings and keep it clean.

-Russell

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out Truckers VTR build from the 09 winter build off. He put a rad in the tail of his bike.
I just saw that last night right after I posted this up. I think I'm going to give it a twist by curving the radiator like a gixer and fit it under the tail. And side scoops.

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something like this, I suck at 3D sculpting right now, I'm playing with it more and more so I'll try to have a skined model next time.

Side

Isometric

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm getting this Surface modeling down, maybe. I need to just fuck with it a little more. Now that I have a better idea of what I want to do I'm going to get some real measurements off the bike and radiator. I have a few dead radiators floating around so I'm going to try to curve it I would like it to fin in a little nicer so I can keep the curve shape with the rest of the bike.

Tail

I know its not too original but I'm not trying to break the mold just yet.

And on the bike with the triple head lights. took the 3d files into photo shop and dropped them onto the photo I took the other day.

-Russell

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
i would try and thin that tail out a bit..the bottom section esp. and place it a bit higher so the top is on the same plane as the tanks top.

def interested to see the progress on this one. You say you're going custom frame? Excited to hear that, as that is a very boring looking frame imo.

I like the bobber / cafe racer tail style (sorry if I got my terminology wrong, please don't shoot me or flame my thread)
:LolLolLolLol: seriously tho!

·
Yarskymator
255 Posts
i think that tail should follow lines of that tank too and it should be higher... And i would rethink those tree lamps you had in mind. It makes it look kind of heavy at front... something smaller might be better.

I was thinking same kind of tail to my speed triple two year's ago,but lot happened and i got another one...

Exept that front i like it

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
The tail def needs to sit higher. Also it would be really cool if you could mimic tank with the tail, the way the tank has indents towards the front, put similar indents in the cafe-esque hump. Also make sure the area where the tail, frame and tank meet is clean.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts