Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 bandit 600 engine swap..HELP MMEEE!!

Hey CF!! Im starting to look into swapping out the motor on my stock bandit 600. I'm just wondering if anyone knows exactly what all my options are. I know they could be limitless with the right chop n weld job but im trying to keep this at a minimum as i have no welding skills and my resorces are limited.. so basically want as close to a 1 for 1 quick swap. I'm reading a lot about the old school gsxr1100 swaps but am curious as to what exact years fit. Any input would be great as it will still be a while before i have the funds to actually do the swap.. just in the planning stage now and i think this is the best stage to get all the knowlege i can before jumping into it!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Re: 99 bandit 600 engine swap..HELP MMEEE!!

Your main two options are try a search, and post here

Sorry for the forum police bit, but there's more and more threads in this forum which aren't build threads. It ain't right, I tells ya.

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

No prob bruh..kinda new to the "posting rules" of CF..but will try my best to comply! :oops:

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes!

But to answer the question posted, most any oil boiler with fit without issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Only because you answered, i have a quick follow up question and i will be on my way to the right forum section...will the mounts line up with the 1100 or will it need to be mildly modded to fit correctly?

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey CF!! Im starting to look into swapping out the motor on my stock bandit 600. I'm just wondering if anyone knows exactly what all my options are. I know they could be limitless with the right chop n weld job but im trying to keep this at a minimum as i have no welding skills and my resorces are limited.. so basically want as close to a 1 for 1 quick swap. I'm reading a lot about the old school gsxr1100 swaps but am curious as to what exact years fit. Any input would be great as it will still be a while before i have the funds to actually do the swap.. just in the planning stage now and i think this is the best stage to get all the knowlege i can before jumping into it!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
gsxr750, bandit 1200, gsxr1100, gsx1100f. All will bolt in. Get exhaust, air boxes, coils and carbs. Wiring harness wouldn't hurt.
This has me interested what years on the gsxr750 will bolt in?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
any oil boiler 750

Idk about other models but even my gsx600 cdi will work on the gsxr1100 motor.

Matter of fact. I've swapped a running gsxr750 in my kz650 until the 1100 is boost ready with busa pistons and stuff. Same mounts and everything. However the valve cover breather and exhaust may be different (haven't encountered them yet.)

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gsxr750, bandit 1200, gsxr1100, gsx1100f. All will bolt in. Get exhaust, air boxes, coils and carbs. Wiring harness wouldn't hurt.
NICE!! Appreciate the list and necessary components bro..completely new to any major work so this helps a lot!! :excellent:

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts

The bigger A/O engines, I think the 750 is the smallest of them and the 1157 being the largest, require some slight modification to the 600 engine mounts to accept the larger diameter mount bolts. Some have sleeved down the engine mount holes to use the 600 bolts but it is not recommended as the torque numbers are much higher with the bigger engines. ;)

Most all of what I have read is that when starting with a B6, the best course of action is to find a GSXR engine (750 or 1100), Bandit 1200 swingarm and rear wheel, and some GSXR USD forks and swap the Bandit stem into it. Most of the bits that fit that all together are common ebay items and not all that expensive. By the end of a proper setup to build off of with a B6 you can get into the $1800 range pretty fast, so the honest option to reduce cost is part out the 600 stuff you won't need for the engine swap and put that toward your new power plant to begin with.

A word of wisdom from experience, a 160 section rear tire handles a 600 or 750 wonderful, but, you get up to the 100hp+ range of the GSXR1100 and Bandit 1200 swaps and the 160 starts getting greasy under you when you really crank it up leaned over, the larger shoulder of a 180 section tire seems to quell the squirm of the power hitting pavement at lean angle by comparison.

·
Registered
86 Posts
100% correct. I have done this swap myself putting a 1200 into a 600 and it really is a simple nuts and bolts job. The only issue I encountered was the top rear bolt is a larger diameter on the 1200 (just drill out the holes on the frame to suit). I even used the 600 cdi and wiring loom with just a minor swap of the 600 neutral/gear selector switch into the 1200 gearbox as the 1200 is different. Easy swap, no real skills required. :thumbsup:

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
100% correct. I have done this swap myself putting a 1200 into a 600 and it really is a simple nuts and bolts job. The only issue I encountered was the top rear bolt is a larger diameter on the 1200 (just drill out the holes on the frame to suit). I even used the 600 cdi and wiring loom with just a minor swap of the 600 neutral/gear selector switch into the 1200 gearbox as the 1200 is different. Easy swap, no real skills required. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info man..really looking to do the 1100 though for the initial HP gains.

G

·
Ive done most of the oil cooled to oil cooled swaps as well as sticking them into other random bikes any of the above mentioned will go in your frame (gsxr's, bandits & 600/750F katana's) & with the bigger engines its good to get the carbs as well but these wont all fit straight into the stock airbox & gsxr etc airboxes wont fit

Sleeving the rear engine mount holes for the smaller bolt has been known to split the cases in time so isnt a good idea & the cdi's all have different advance curves & rev limits so its best to use the one for the engine you use

The sump (oil pan?) & oil pickups can be changed for exhaust clearance ie shallow sump will allow more room for the exhaust with a gsxr motor but you MUST change the pickup as well as the sump or risk starving the engine of oil, if you need to do a sump change be aware some older engines have the cooler line fittings in a different place so you may have to sort that

Stock 600 exhausts will fit the other engines but are small dia & would restrict a 1127 or 1157 gsxr exhausts fit all models at the head but wont all clear sump & footrests without modification

some engines run a cable clutch some fluid so there could be some work there

All simple stuff really but i hope it helps :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts