Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, figured it's about time to start a build thread. I've had the bike for a couple months, never ridden it. Clean title, crashed, nose destroyed, fairings rashed, end of tail broke, leaking forks, exhaust damaged, right rearset broke, engine runs (sort of).

Any input is greatly appreciated, this may be a little slow going, I'm a full-time student and I work.

I'm open to ideas, not sure exactly what I want it to look like. It will not be a bobber, and I want some satin black and flat carbon gray, with bright glossy accents, maybe red or white.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the kawi thing is just a coincidence, we had 2 other suzuki's in the last year and there are 2 Honda's out of the picture.

I'm leaning towards all black or carbon bodywork and white stripe down the middle, white rims, white calipers, bright red frame.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Yea hahaha, lots of green there !!

Kawi's always have a strong powerplant, but are a hastle to work on and dissasemble, some parts, I just tend to find some silly stupid designs ?? ! IMO

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i've heard really good things about the motor on this specific bike. Supposedly they last forever.

When I got it, it fired up right away, but it wouldn't rev up past 2 or 3 thousand and was surging really strangely. sounded great at idle and started easily. I took the cabs apart and they were gummy as hell. Then, bingo, some moron took the carb diaphragms off and when he put them back on he destroyed two of them. I haven't ordered new diaphragms yet but I suspect that was the only problem.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starting to get some work done....finally.

Change fork seals and oil.......done.

Shorten the damaged yosh can........done.

I was a little hesitant to drill my OEM triple for bar clamps, so I made some aluminum inserts to fill in the back of the cast and stuck em there with some jb weld. Left the camera at home, I'll post pics later.

I'm also workin on my own frame slider kit. A lot of people say that if you put frame sliders on this bike, a lot of times when it goes down, it breaks the frame tabs off. So I'm making large brackets for each side that will distribute the slider force over at least 2 points. I'll prob use LSL Sliders for the actual crash pucks. I'm a little partial to LSL, I used to work for their distributor in the US. :rock:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what I did to the triple:

finished product:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The yosh can was a lot more mangled than I originally thought. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the entire can had about a 10 degree bend off center around where the strap is. There was also a hole punctured where the strap clamps to the passenger peg assembly. The forward cap was slightly crumpled also. It's a miracle that I got it back together at all.

I know it's not pretty, but it will be changed when budget allows, it'll work for now.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got tons of work to do and not much time to do it.

Just got in the mail:

Z1000 headlight (from MPLS, thanks dude)

ProTaper Clamps Black

ProTaper Henry/Reed bend 1 1/8" bar, Gold

636 seat is on the way.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've gotta rebuild calipers to, shit.

The bar Clamps are too short to clear my fork tubes, so Im making risers out of a chunk of aluminum. It takes forever though because I don't have the right tools. I'm doing it exclusively with a drill press, hacksaw, and belt sander. :hairpull:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost done with the Riser's, this is taking way to long.:doh:

Got my 636 seat. 636 subframe is a little tweaked, so I'm trying to figure out a way to straighten it. I think i'm gonna have to build a wood base for the frame mount points and build a fire outside to heat it, and straighten it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,620 Posts
nice work so far...keep it up!

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The project is kinda on hold while I work on my work space. I have to wrap up a couple other projects. I just bought wood today, I'm building another workbench and a sandblasting cabinet. The blasting cabinet is gonna be pretty big, so I'm excited to get it done. I'll post pics of that in DIY when I finish it. :excellent:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Built another work bench today, I needed one to put some tools on, I now have about 4 times the bench space of the one I just built, but there are always other projects going on in my garage, so I need it. I also started on the blasting cabinet, but its got a ways to go still. My dad is stressing because of the size of the blasting cabinet, but I want to put my frame in it, and he'll use it a good amount too so it's all good.

pics:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts