Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
890 Posts
I painted a set of calipers on an old GS1150 by stripping them down, painting with hi-temp paint and curing the halves in the oven. It worked well.

Having said that, there's no reason painting them whole wont work either (maybe don't put them in the oven though....)

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
D'd mass W today, got the essentials and got started.

Essentials:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Spent all day prepping and painting stuff. I hate sand blasting all day.

My homemade risers:

Sprocket:

Caliper's:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Got a new tool, this little baby was $14.

Here's the one I used to clean the headers, it was leaking so I redid the Teflon tape on the fittings and cracked the housing when i tightened it down. Not sure it it's gonna fail, but for now it seems to still work:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So I used the more powerful die grinder with the wire wheel and cleaned off everything I could reach. Then I put it in the cabinet and media blasted the hard to reach areas. I need to get some coarser blasting media so i can do stuff like this without the wire wheel.

Here it is prepped:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
After paint:

Here's the paints I used today. VHT on the exhaust, everything else got the 500 degree stuff:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The VHT is just to protect the pipes, I plan on wrapping them with fiberglass wrap.

I also reassembled the front calipers, using the old seals, so we'll see how that turns out. I think it will be ok:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Almost forgot, painted sides of rad too, they had some nasty silver paint on them that was flaking off:

·
890 Posts
Looking good :rock:

Couple of Q's...

Are those riser blocks alloy? They look like rubber in the pics (bad idea if they are:oops:)

And how do you plan on wrapping those headers (at the collector anyway) ???

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Looking good :rock:

Couple of Q's...

Are those riser blocks alloy? They look like rubber in the pics (bad idea if they are:oops:)

And how do you plan on wrapping those headers (at the collector anyway) ???
Thanks man.

The risers are made out of 1/2" alum plate leftover from my top triple modification. You can tell if you look at the earlier pages. I just now painted them black.

I'm not sure I understand the question about the headers. I plan to wrap them with fiberglass header wrap, and wrap the whole thing, all the way to the canister.

·
890 Posts
Are you hoping to wrap each individual pipe down to the collector? Because you won't be able to (not enough room between the pipes after the bottom curve).

I've seen people try to wrap 4-1 headers before and they usually have to wrap the 4 pipes together well before the collector. Which not only looks stupid, but they end up making a nice big crud collector to trap water and rust out their pipes.

Just sayin' ;)

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Are you hoping to wrap each individual pipe down to the collector? Because you won't be able to (not enough room between the pipes after the bottom curve).

I've seen people try to wrap 4-1 headers before and they usually have to wrap the 4 pipes together well before the collector. Which not only looks stupid, but they end up making a nice big crud collector to trap water and rust out their pipes.

Just sayin' ;)

Well obviously i can't wrap the pipes individually where the pipes are welded together or too tight to fit cloth through. The VHT will help protect it also.

Have faith dude :yoda:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Got a set of ZZR600 carbs in, havn't taken a look at them yet.

Also, got my swinger painted, did some extensive prep and cleaned up some of the damage. Then I sprayed it with bedliner.

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
what is that old flat thing in the background.

And if i may, I want to clearify what bed liner is. its a black rubbery ashfalt type stuff. ???????

we dont call them beds we call them trays and we dont have bedlinner. and we dont have traylinner nither.

would it also be called underseal??? caues we got that.

just cause im thinking its a good idea on teh swing as it will be good sctach resistant/stone chip wise.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
That looks pretty good. I'm thinking I'm going to paint my swinger with bedliner as well. Did you use the Duplicolor brand?
Yup, and I am VERY impressed with the way it came out. I prob wouldn't use it on anything your body touches while riding, it's pretty abrasive.

what is that old flat thing in the background.

And if i may, I want to clearify what bed liner is. its a black rubbery ashfalt type stuff. ???????

we dont call them beds we call them trays and we dont have bedlinner. and we dont have traylinner nither.

would it also be called underseal??? caues we got that.

just cause im thinking its a good idea on teh swing as it will be good sctach resistant/stone chip wise.
It is called Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. It's really hard stuff, and sticks to almost anything. In my experience, undercoating is much softer, and would turn out looking like hell.

This is what I used:

haha, the "old flat thing" is a Continental C85. If we have any vintage and private aviation nuts in the house, you will know exactly what that is. It has been floating around my family since the 1940s or so, and is in need of an overhaul. It was factory equipment on many small airplanes of the era, but it was my grandpa's and he used it on some of his experimental projects. He designed and built several airplanes from the ground up, and patented all kinds of unique aviation ideas. The most well known are his two air cars, the first was an open cockpit, the second was enclosed. The enclosed aircar had a bigger engine in it.

I think that engine was last used on his first rendition of the aircar, one of the first (maybe THE first) vehicles in the US to have both a license plate and an N number. It looks a lot like an airplane, but I can't find a pic of the second one, it looked WAY more like a car, it had 4 wheels, etc...

Here's a pic of the first one, licensed in 1958:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Here's another pic, he ditched the nosewheel for a 4 wheel configuration and a pusher setup. This is still with the original fuselage though, before he went to a complete redesign for an enclosed cockpit. The enclosed one was a side by side 2 place.

·
410 Posts
Your bike is definitely coming along, you tore yours down more than I did mine!!
As for the headers, you start at the top of each one and work your way down to the collector. Leave a little extra. When you do the last one, you will wrap all the loose ends in as you go around the collector, makes it nice and tidy. I then painted my header wrap with high temp paint also so it looks purty! I was looking, but of course it doesn't look like I have any pics of the headers only.
I liked the fillers on the triple. I didn't do that to mine, but I did put some heavy duty washers underneath. I also used Kawi Mule risers. It also looked like your triple was a little low in the tubes, just wondering.

And wth??? Looks like it's been a month since any updates!! Got it all together yet??

I've done a few things to mine, you can see some pics if you click the linky in my signature. This winter, I plan to do more...of course!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts