Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is hopefully the first of many build threads. It's my first dive into creating something of this scale, so here goes. And besides, oil cooled gixxer swaps are a dime a dozen.

I bought this bike, a 1999 Katana 600 in September 2011. This is the first bike I've ever owned. It was a mess: cut plastics (some were missing), no tank/petcock, junk tires, very dirty carbs, no seat, no muffler, no battery, subframe was cut off, etc. It was a beast, but I wanted a bike. And you can't pass up a $100 deal.

I had it running by Spring 2012 and rode it the rest of the year.

I rode it like that for a while, then rattle canned the tank to match the plastics a bit better. Eventually took the plastics off and rode with the ugly Kat frame showing. You can kinda see the SV650 tail light swap.

I picked up a 2004 GSXR 600 parts bike (no pics of that) in June and began taking all the good parts off, preparing for my big Winter project...

This thread is jumping in at some point in the middle. I didn't get a lot of opportunity to take pictures, and when I did they turned out like shit.

These pics might not make a lot of sense because of that but here's where everything stands as of today.

I started by stripping both bikes to the frames. I knew I needed new motor mounts to get the gixxer motor into the Katana, so the old ones were ground off. I picked up some 1/4 steel plate and began making the mounts.

This ended up being way off, so they came off and I tried again. This is from today. The motor mounts shown have been done for about a month, but I just finished part of the upper mount for the rear suspension, and most of the lower mount.

I have shit for welding skills, a flux core welder, and I'm just using a jigsaw and a bench grinder for all this. I'm just going to get everything tacked into place and have a pro weld it up.

The pics don't show the lower motor mounts very well but they're there. I still need to finish up my design for the front mounts but the frame keeps getting in the way.

The swingarm and rear wheel are swapped on. I still need to have another bushing made so the swingarm doesn't move side to side. I had one made already to adapt the Katana pivot bolt to fit the GSXR swinger. Front suspension is almost lined out also. Thats from the gixxer, too. I need a bearing that fits the gixxer stem and the Katana races. I haven't done any measurements, but it shouldn't be a big deal. If it is I'll just have the Katana stem pressed in.

This is getting long-winded, so I'll just leave off with the last pic I took today: it finally stood on its own kickstand for the first time in months -

Thanks for looking. Hopefully I'll have mroe updates this weekend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Small update -

All the rear suspension mounts and rear engine mounts are welded and finalized. I took the bike apart, threw it in my backseat and took it to the welder.

Everything turned out nice -

Now I'm just reassembling everything so I can sort out the front motor mounts and get started on the subframe -

I picked up a bunch of broken 07 GSXR plastics last summer that I'm ging to fix. I'm for sure using the tail, not sure about the rest of the parts. I haven't decided on a headlight or anything else yet.

More updates tomorrow. Hopefully will have the design for the front mounts finalized and ready to be welded. Also hope to have the subframe design finalized.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to get some stock to build the subframe, but the shop was closed. I was so excited to work on the bike that I forgot it was Memorial Day weekend - everything is closed :/

Regardless, I did some work. I got the bike reassembled as much as I could - forks, triples, wheels, brakes and swingarm were mounted. Also got the motor back into position. Besides that, I started getting the tank into position. This required a lot of trimming on the air box. I'm not sure how these bikes (GSXR) run with pods, but I may have to give it a shot.

I found out that I'm not going to get rid of the notorious Katana tank-to-frame gap. I have a few yards of carbon fiber, so I'll come up with something. All the cosmetics aren't important right now anyway. Tomorrow I'm going to get the rear tank mount finished. I might get the front mount done, I'm not sure

I mocked up one of the tails i have. it's from an 04 GSXR 600.

Not bad, but I think I'm going to use the 07 tail I have. I just need to fix it. It's cracked to hell and missing some tabs.

I really want to use this one because of the integrated blinkers and such. I ordered some PlastiFix to mend it.

Here's where I left off at the end of the day, except the sprocket cover is bolted up now. That titanium 1k header looks pretty good on there.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Lookin good so far! I love it when someone takes their fist bike and dives right into a full ground up build. Kudos to you for leaving the welding up to a pro. There's nothing wrong with knowing your limits and you definitely don't want any shoddy work on your bike since it could cost you your life. Keep it up man!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

If I had a better welder and a lot more practice I'd be more comfortable, but that won't happen any time soon. It's turning out alright in the end anyway.
I appreciate it, sir!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worked for a few more hours today. I'm all over the place when I'm working on it.

I had to make new mounts for the gas tank, front and rear.
Fabbed up these small squares and tapped them for the front mounts. As with everything else they're just tacked in.

Used some 1/4" steel for the rear mount.

I also got one of the radiator mounts done and one of the seat mounts. I didn't get very good pictures of those. Maybe tomorrow.

So, here's where I stand now. It's looking better and better.

The garage is a mess. Story of my life, haha

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, fellas. I appreciate it and hope to be done before the ridiculous July heat here in Missouri.

I didn't get a lot done today. I've been working on it a lot lately and just decided to take it easy. I got almost no pics, but here's what happened today -

I got the front gas tank mounts completely welded in. Also got another radiator mounted completed, so I just have one left to do now. I also started modifying the engine cradle to fit back on the bike. It was really far off with this GSXR motor in there. I'm about 50% done with that.

The goals for the next two weeks are -

Finish the last radiator mount
Finish the other seat mount
Finish the engine cradle
Order the bearings for the triples
Finish the subframe
Finalize the design for the front engine mounts
Finalize all welding on the frame

After all that it's really just a bunch of minor stuff such as wiring and body work. And I need to make a midpipe and get my muffler into position. I think I need a front tire too. Closer and closer...

I rolled her outside today so I could sweep up the garage. Decided to name her, too. I present to you, Suzi. And her gangster lean.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
thats pretty awesome. i like the yellow too

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, friends. Keep the encouragement coming, haha
I'm not sure I'll stick with the yellow because I have a bunch of carbon fiber that I want to put to use. Everything is still up in the air in the color department. I just know I want something bright for the frame and wheels. Everything else will probably be either wrapped or duplicated in carbon.

The only update for today is a small package that came in -

I've heard really good things about this stuff so I decided to give it a shot. I'll be hacking up the two tails (04 07 GSXR) that I have to make one that I like. If I decide that I like what I come up with, I want it to last so in comes this stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had some time to work on it again today. I picked up some 1/8" flat stock to make my subframe. It's not much of a structural subframe because it's just there to hold the tail.

I also put the Plastifix to work. It's pretty good stuff. I fixed a couple fairly large cracks in the tail section I was working with today. Bending and flexing the piece was fine. It behaved like a normal piece of plastic after it was cured.

It looks and feels just like the factory piece after it's cured and sanded.

The 07 GSXR tail I have is three pieces. I plan on bonding all three into one, then either wrapping it or making a mold of it then duplicating it from carbon fiber. For now it's held together with zip ties so I can get everything mocked up.

I also ordered some Tygon tubing and a Honda cap for it so I can do an HRC style rear brake reservoir. I'll probably replace the tubing leading to the front reservoir also.

Here's where I'm at today. The subframe is almost done. I'm going to try to finish it tomorrow before work.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subframe is done. It doesn't look like much, but it doesn't have to. It's enough to support the tail in all the mounting points and it doesn't flex.

Heading to work now. Planning on working on it a bit more tonight, then all day tomorrow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NICE!!

Props to you for jumping in hardcore on your first build.

And great work on the getting that engine and shock in there.

Im with Piester. I like the yellow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, fellas. I wasn't thinking about keeping the yellow but you guys are starting to persuade me. Maybe have a few yellow parts and the rest carbon fiber? Not sure yet. Anyone want to photo shop that and a belly pan? :D

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Thanks, fellas. I wasn't thinking about keeping the yellow but you guys are starting to persuade me. Maybe have a few yellow parts and the rest carbon fiber? Not sure yet. Anyone want to photo shop that and a belly pan? :D
i do like that yellow for the suzuki or the blue from the rizla race bike ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to look through the build. It means a lot that people share my feelings on this :)

I've been working a lot on it today. If the pics turned out I'll have a few more. Just throwing a couple up now while I'm taking a break.

The Tygon tubing came in the other day and today the Honda cap came in. If anyone doesn't know, the Honda part number for the cap is -

And the part number from Kurveygirl.com for the tubing is -

That's obviously a pic with the two combined. Total cost for both was under $15. Cheap and easy way to clean up the back of the bike and lose a bit of weight.

Also, I mentioned the Plastifix the other day. It's good stuff, but kind of expensive. I did some more reading and found that if you're working with ABS, just use Acetone. If you have two pieces of ABS that fit together tightly then you can brush on some Acetone, put them together and let it dry then they bond. I did it with one part of the tail so far and it worked even better than the Plastifix. Not sure how well this pic shows that though -

It's really strong though. And a quart of Acetone is not more than $10. Plastifix starts at $35...

More pics later, folks. And thanks again. You all are giving me a lot of motivation!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts