Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i`m about to chop up my front fender and i had also considered bolting the side fairings back on and chopping them down to a belly pan as well. Problem i`m having is im not sure what i should cut them with.

I had intended on cutting them down with the cut off wheel on my drimel tool and then coming back with the sanding drum to tighten things up BUT i tested it out on what was left of my old ABS plastic tail and didnt like the result.

The problem i had on the practice cut i made is the plastic feels like its being cut but is melting and then hardening as i cut. So once i cut a few inches it seems the plastic gets so heated that its melting and cooling back together in some places. All this made for a pretty nasty and not very esthetically appealing cut.

I want this to come out looking nice, not like i just hacked the piss out of it.

Suggestions?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
yep, jig saw is good for plastics, if you have trouble controling the saw use a manual hacksaw

·
Will have a bike... soon
5,031 Posts
Cutting wheel and Dremel causes too much friction, which will melt the plastic. I've had luck with - like mentioned above - reciprocal saws like jig saws. You could still use the Dremel, just cut slightly away from the actual line you need to achieve, and then finish the cut with a sanding block and some various sandpaper grades to smooth it out as needed.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
one thing that wasnt mentioned was what blades to use.... you want something with high tpi, so something you would use for cutting metal

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Also the jig saw would ball-up/melt the plastic…I use a fine file to remove this crap and also to straighten up the cut, trust me unless you’re a cnc machine it won’t be a tight line, then sand the cut with fine grade wet/dry to soften out the edge…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts