Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Firstly it is probably best that I let you all know that I am new to the custom bike scene. I have predominantly ridden and owned supersports and sports tourers. I do not have an extensive workshop, just a home enthusiasts garage. My mechanics, welding and fabricating skills are all self taught. I have stripped and rebuilt two bikes but most of my spare time has always been spent on my vehicles with 4 wheels. I have now decided to try my hand at creating a custom bike from an old insurance write off VFR which has been stored away for sometime. I'd say it was in an average condition for the age (over 20yrs), mileage (65k) and climate (Wales, UK).

I have stripped the bike of the fairing and headlight unit and after some tinkering the bike is now running again. My next step is to give it a good clean before deciding what needs changing/replacing.

I don't have a budget as such, it will be an ongoing project, however any money put towards this will be carefully calculated as it is only a side project for my own learning. I understand I am unlikely to make a profit if I were to eventually sell the bike but I also do not wish to be at a huge loss.

Does anyone here have any experience customising a fifth generation VFR800?

What tends to be the biggest changes to bikes to give them that fighter style?

My current intentions are:
A new headlight setup - There are a lot of aftermarket front units which can be adapted to fit but any recommendations are gladly welcomed.

To change the rear frame so it a single seat - Same with any advice on changing the rear end. I was planning on making a mock up out of timber then fabricating it from metal once I am happy with it. I would most likely shorten any electrics as I do not really like the idea of having to hide all the excess.

As it stands the above two are within my budget and the time I have available since there is a good chance I will be replacing a few "essential" parts along the way.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all who read this and for any help and advice you can provide

Dan

·
V four honda whore
12,412 Posts
welcome to the forums mate. you'll find the finest determined idiots with tools here, who like to void any warranties.

i personally LOVE vfr's and v4's...

what you mentioned isnt hard to do at all. and working on bikes is a lot more pleasant than on cars.

i remember when i started doing stuff on bikes i did small steps and was affraid of stuff. now im building girder front end, because why not :D

and remember we dont ask why. we ask how and when ;)

as for your build, make whatever suits yiur taste, just please follow the line flow of the bike. theres nothing more horrible in bikes, than lines that doesnt flow (seat angle, subframe, exhaust angle, headlight that looks out of place

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean about the lines of the bike, there are some really ugly designs out there. I don't think mine will be anything too extreme anyway, a more aggressive front and just a sleeker look over all.
My main intention of this build is to test the waters so it might not be too different from what's already been done.
I will be removing the tail this weekend and will update with some photos. If I get around to it I might even do a basic mock up in photoshop to give me some ideas.

·
V four honda whore
12,412 Posts
have no idea about the subframe mount, but you can make it out of laser jetted pieces aswell... i did that with my bros... simple and light :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fabricating of a frame shouldn't be too tricky, the making of mounts to get an existing frame to fit even easier. The difficult part is deciding what would be the most cost effective option. Spending money on a decent back end then only having to make minor changes or being really cheap then putting the extra work in to make something fit. The problem I see with making something from scratch is getting other things to fit such as the tail lights, registration plate etc whilst keeping it looking smart and functional. I don't want the bike to look too butchered. I have seen a lot of bikes that have been done in such a way and whilst I admire the fact someone has gone ahead and given it a go, I personally do not like the 'mad max' style if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I managed to spend an hour yesterday stripping some more off the bike. In hindsight I probably should have washed it when I said I would previously but lazyness got the better of me so I spent half the time removing caked on crud. I was however pleasantly surprised that I only had to deal with one fixing that had rusted beyond all recognition.

After removing the frame and staring at it for some time on the kitchen table (much to my wifes annoyance) I have decided that I am going fabricate my own. I was going to bastardise the original but to make it look tidy, the amount of work involved, is probably not far short of making one from scratch. Also, I can use the original as a kind of jig for the measurements and spacing when making the new one.

I was planning on putting photos up of this build as I go along regardless of whether they are major modifications or just slight changes. Hopefully it is okay to do on this thread or should I be starting another one elsewhere?

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
a mod could prob move this to the projects section
Done!

You’re making good progress! And ideas for those eyesore side radiators?

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187 and yantosh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will eventually swap it to a single front radiator but it wasn't too high on my priority list at the moment. I think I read somewhere that one from a vfr750 is a fairly straightforward swap but the oil cooler also has to move. I'll have to do a bit more research on that part of the build. Maybe I will look into it sooner than later though so I can keep an eye out for any bits that come around at the right price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts