Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes, I've recently gotten into painting; mostly easy things like stator/engine covers, pegs, triple trees. Really metal pieces, all done with various rattlecan. Today I picked up a decent spray gun and I'm lookin into getting some serious jobs done.

The prep work will be a blast as I have a soda blaster at my disposal which will leave a perfect surface but I'm curious as to which type of paints to prime/base/clear with.

Can I use a rattlecan primer, like rustoleum automotive primer to start? Should I use epoxy, urethane, lacquer based paints? Something quick drying would be nice, it's a tail piece I want to paint so chemical resistance wont be high in the priorities. Really I don't know where to start with paints for plastics so any tips at all would be helpful

thanks

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright cool deal so I will need a plastic specific primer. How'd your finish turn out with the rattle can color? I'm just not wanting to have to redo it if the color fades; the color I'm aiming for is gloss black. So I think I need to spray/sand the primer, spray the base, scuff the base dull then spray a gloss clear; am I on the right track?

·
30,373 Posts
It turned out great. Check out my SV link in my sig. Gloss black. I didn't scuff at any point. I read so much conflicting info about whether to sand or not it was confusing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn dude that bike is hot, great job with the paint. Did you let the base dry thoroughly (few days) before you hit it with the 2 part clear or did you spray it after the base flash dried in 10-15 minutes?

·
30,373 Posts
I sprayed it right after it flashed. I wish I went a little thicker on the clear though. I burned though it in some spots while wet sanding. It was my first paint job and I was VERY impressed with the results.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was your base coat enamel like rustoleum or duplicolor? Or was it some paint store mixed urethane/lacquer? I ask because I hear all the time that you can't spray lacquer/urethane over a non-catalyst enamel as it'll make it lift.

Thanks for you responses and patience btw haha.

·
30,373 Posts
I ordered it online here: http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_black_crystal_clearcoat.cfm

I have heard that you can get 2 part paint in rattle cans at quality auto paint shops. I guess they mix it, put it in a can, and charge it. I have never asked first hand though. The color I linked above seemed like good stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts