Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."​

I bought myself a Thunderace (Yamaha YZF1000 1997) a year ago... maybe someone remembers my first build thread... "Ace of Spades".

Unfortunalty O didnt have much time last year..... But now I have, so Im going to give it a second try in making my Ace of Spades.
I've been thinking the whole year about this bike and have some fresh ideas :)

So.. lets get to bussiness.. PICS AND COMMENTS!

I disassembled the whole bike... (at least, what was left of it since last build-try)

As you can see, I don't have very much space in my garage.. I'll have to do it with the room and tools I got... everything else, I have to go to friends or shops

Already put some engine cleaner on the horses

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second importand step

Second step in making a fighter:

Get yourself some upside down forks?

Ok, got this USD fork off an YZF R1 1998... The callipers, rim, discs and axle are all original YZF 1000 Thunderace 1997.

IT ALL FITS :)

Except from the right side spacer, its a bit to wide. I have to go to a friend and let him mill it down with a lathe (or how do you call it in english?)

Now.. fit it in the steering stem. 2 Bad, the top bearing doesnt fit... have to get myself a new bearing... or do you guys think its simpler to press the original steering stem into the new triple?

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year Ilet a friend of mine weld another subframe on the bike...
Well now I'm thinking about getting another rear fairing... The problem is, I cant weld aluminum... so I want to get rid of the welded subframe and make some "hooks" (or how you call em) on the subframe.

This way I can MIG weld a steel subframe and bolt it on the frame.

This was my last year welded sub:

Now my good friend got me some hooks and welded it on the frame :)

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this is all for now....

Left over things todo:

-Get the forks fitted with new bearings
-Shorten the spacer for the front axle

In the meantime, I'm going to clean as much as possible... I hate it when all the parts are so dirty. (last builds i didnt clean during the build, but everything gets messy and i wanna try it different and better this time..., it takes time, but well get there!)

I ordered a Ducati 1098 rear fairing... I'll post some pics tomorrow when it arrives!

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been on vacation for two weeks... back 3 days ago.

A fresh start in The Netherlands again :)

Like i said, got my 1098 fairing, looks nice on the mockup.. see the attachment

Today im gonna start with making a motorcycle workstand so i can raise the working heigt and get the forks and bridge in and out more easy.

The prev. Post i told about milling the front wheel spacer, but i dont think thats a good idea since the wheel is not going to be in the center of the fork anymore..

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Hey Snakey,
this might sound too simple, but why not mill off from both spacers, equally, to put it in the middle?

Or you may end up needing to get the R1 wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Subscriptioned. :)

Have a T-ace myself. Nice seeing what other do with em.
I´m going for the YZF750 forks and triple trees in the future. No big deal getting them on.
Last year I modified a R1 swinger, shortened it 70mm to get same wheelbase.
Have YZF750 fairings on it as well. Next up is to get rid of the big looking tank.

Keep the pics coming!

BTW, what I would have done.
Get yourself some new tapered bearings and a R1 front wheel.
Bluespots you already have for the T-ace that will fit R1 forks.
You will loose the speedo cable in this setup but that shouldn´t matter or?

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Snakey,
this might sound too simple, but why not mill off from both spacers, equally, to put it in the middle?

Or you may end up needing to get the R1 wheel.
Well,

The other side is no spacer but a speedmeter spacer. Its metal and im going to try and mill it.

Made a simple but effecte cycle stand today (attachment).
Put the swingarm stand into the swingarm axle. This way i can remove the arm and keep the bike on normal heigt level. This comes in handh when makin the subframe.

Attachments

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

Unfortunately been very busy @home... Also my co2 bottle is empty and ill have to wait till the weldong shop gets new on cause they are sold out.

Meanwhile i tried some plastic tubing for a subframe mockup. As seen in the attachment.

Attachments

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Popped out both steering stems yesterday.
unfortunatly the original stem is to small to press into the yzf '98 bottom yoke.

I have to measure both stems and let a friend mill a new one that fits the original beerings but has the right press fitting for the '98 yoke.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steering stem aimt ready yet. I started with mocking up ny new subframe at 1:1 scale.

I'm using 200/20 (mm) tube for it. Got some pics for you ready and post more as it advances this week!

Attachments

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my undertray today... Jeeeej!
Unfortunatly, the subframe setup doesnt fit in with this undertray.

I have to adapt 2 things. The first is the bottom piece of the tray. Else my bottom pins hit the tray.

Second is a compromise of the bottom pins so i can minimize the tray afaption.

Think i'm going to try some new setups saturday.

See some mockups below!

Attachments

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
that subframe came out nice. cant wait to see it with the tank and seat on it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts