Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Guys I got a serious question now...

You saw how I let someone TIG weld the so called "eyes" on the frame. (the points were the subframe bolts on)... how do you think about this? Since many people say this special aluminum and something else frame can't be "normal" TIG welded and needs to be welded with exactly the same alu welding rod etc. etc.

Guess there's no way to test it... and the welding guy (he welds for a living, but no special motorcycle frames) just said: it will do.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Guys I got a serious question now...

You saw how I let someone TIG weld the so called "eyes" on the frame. (the points were the subframe bolts on)... how do you think about this? Since many people say this special aluminum and something else frame can't be "normal" TIG welded and needs to be welded with exactly the same alu welding rod etc. etc.

Guess there's no way to test it... and the welding guy (he welds for a living, but no special motorcycle frames) just said: it will do.
Is the issue with the frame is that it is cast aluminum and you are welding to it?
I got a couple of concerns from people when I had someone tig new flanges onto a swingarm mount that was cast aluminum. The mount bolts to the frame with the flanges I had welded on. They had said the heat from the welding would weaken the cast peice.

The person I had weld it for me is a welder at an aircraft turbine company and said, "Trust me you'll be fine." So far so good I check the mount for cracks now and again, but there is never any problem. If that is the case I say you'll be good.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Those welds on the frame looked nice. I'd bet you snap the subframe before the Mounts. Though the subframe looks to be built very well too. A piece of art really. Bolt it on and stand on it and see what happens

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You really think this is a good enough test? I'm planning to sell the bike when finished and now I'm a bit concerned when something happens to it the person might be able to hold me responsible?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts