Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have purchased an ACEWEll 3968 it is new but no box or instructions but all the cables and sensors. I have searched the internet but I could not find my model's instruction. I only got this one because it was reduced in price and in chrome. I thinking this is going to be hard to set up on my 99 R1 without instructions.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARRRGGGHHH..I am having a nightmare..Give me a spanner and a hammer anyday but this electrikery stuff is driving me mad.....

ok here are 2 photo's of just pure gobbledygook in my eyes. What would help is someone to look at these 2 pictures and tell me what goes where the first is the wiring diagram from the R1 1999 and the second is the wiring diagram for the ACEWELL digital speedo..Why can they not produce an idiots guide to go with them...

The acewell has several different launguages so I hope you can read it ok..

Please could some one help before I set fire to the whole bloody lot...

Thanks

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Do you have the wiring harness that was with the acewell?
It looks pretty straight forward.
This is the area you'll want to focus:

Essentially you can look at old cluster and pick out the wire colors that match what you want. Most of the stuff in the bottom plug will match up the lights.
On the Acewell everything ties-in to the Gnd/Mass (top wire on the diagram) Make sure that this is a solid ground.
From there:
- Clock: usually always on +12v Red wire (grab a voltmeter and pock around on the R1 harness to see what has 12v with no key)
- Speed +: looks to be the blue and yellow wire (or white)
- Fuel: Green and white
- Temp: Green and red (last green wire at the bottom)
- RPM: Yellow and black
- Neutral: Light blue
- Key: Looks to be Red and black

it's usually easier to have the actual wiring labels from the manual than that diagram. Grab a digital voltmeter from your local hardware store and verify that you get the voltage you expect when you turn they key, press a button, etc.

ps: I'm not responsible if you fry anything; :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the wiring harness that was with the acewell?
It looks pretty straight forward.
This is the area you'll want to focus:

Essentially you can look at old cluster and pick out the wire colors that match what you want. Most of the stuff in the bottom plug will match up the lights.
On the Acewell everything ties-in to the Gnd/Mass (top wire on the diagram) Make sure that this is a solid ground.
From there:
- Clock: usually always on +12v Red wire (grab a voltmeter and pock around on the R1 harness to see what has 12v with no key)
- Speed +: looks to be the blue and yellow wire (or white)
- Fuel: Green and white
- Temp: Green and red (last green wire at the bottom)
- RPM: Yellow and black
- Neutral: Light blue
- Key: Looks to be Red and black

it's usually easier to have the actual wiring labels from the manual than that diagram. Grab a digital voltmeter from your local hardware store and verify that you get the voltage you expect when you turn they key, press a button, etc.

ps: I'm not responsible if you fry anything; :p

So the key which is light green on the acewell connects to the black and red on the bikes loom see pic

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok this where I am now...

Indicators: Yes.... blink when they are supposed too.
High Beam: Yes.... light Turns Blue when High beam selected.
When key is off: Yes...Clock shows time..
When key is turned on:Yes... Display fully lights up.
Coolant Temp: Used Acewell supplied sensor replaces OEM one..Un tested as of yet.

The problems I am having.
On the wiring harness that comes with the Acewell:

The OEM speed sensor it has 3 wires Black/White, Pink and Orange and it plugs into Blue/black, White and Blue and yellow about 5v on the White and on the Acewell loom it just has 2 wires: 1 Green and 1 Black..and about 5v on the green..Now what goes where..???

No Neutral Light but Neutral (N) on digital dash...

I feel like screaming...

Why oh why cannot wire colours be the same where ever you go..so where ever in the world you are they match up...

·
3,993 Posts
I think I ran into the same thing with a Koso. I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure the 3 speedo wires from the bike were ground, +5V, and signal, and I think I tied the ground from the bike-side speedo into the main gauge ground, and then that left the two wires on the bike to the two wires on the gauge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I ran into the same thing with a Koso. I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure the 3 speedo wires from the bike were ground, +5V, and signal, and I think I tied the ground from the bike-side speedo into the main gauge ground, and then that left the two wires on the bike to the two wires on the gauge.
Will give that a shot, Cheers

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
That sounds correct - from the diagram, the acewell has 1 ground for everything. (hence make it a good ground)

Neutral light is interesting, as it's really a wire to the ground that the neutral switch creates. Wire the light blue to the N- in the diagram of the Acewell.

No need for screaming you got a bunch of stuff figured out/working, which is more than when you started :p

·
3,993 Posts
The neutral light doesn't LOOK like it should be all that complicated... light blue on bike to grey on gauge? Right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts