Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Adding a hose splitter on Hayabusa front

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shinyribs 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 'Busa front end on my SRAD and I recently started to get to the final parts of bike assembly.

I have higher bars (Renthals) on the front and so need longer brake lines between master cylinder and caliper.

This is where i am looking for advice / help..

My front end currently runs 2 Hel brake lines (relatively new ones too) running from master cylinder to each caliper. On previous bikes I have owned (I think the SRAD had one originally) a brake hose splitter is used so the brake operates a 1 to 2 pipe system (1 from the master cylinder then splitting into 2).

I am perhaps being a little tight but I am not a man who is loaded but I do understand that brake hoses are probably the most important part of a bike! I want to save a few quid but not at the risk of dying is probably the best way to word it...

I am considering a master cylinder change in the future and I am not 100% happy with the bars (not sure if I need to raise a little more) so I am also trying to avoid a complete new front pipe system if I can avoid it.

Could I simply add a splitter to the current front end and introduce one section of hose between the master cylinder and the splitter? This would mean that my nearly new Hel hoses would not be bin bound? Anybody done this found it massively detrimental to braking force? The front end has tokico 6 pots and I know there is much debate about these anyway so I want to ensure all is spot-on really.

Cheers,

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
I would advise against it. The hoses are swedged together so there is no good way to extend them.

I think you may be interested in a diy hose set I recently ran across which is less than half the cost of custom lines and apparently just as good. I don't know if I would go that far but they look to be high quality. Revival Cycles out of Texas sells the parts to make them. I believe they will ship overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScSiOBb9brY

http://revivalcycles.com/products/brake-lines

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Redliner...

I was 99 percent sure that was the case but was being a little cautious regarding expense!

I think I will list the Hel set on eBay and see what happens.

It would probably make sense to do a master cylinder swap now and purchase lines based on the new master cylinder...

Although I am a fan of getting the bike to move quickly I am pretty keen about the idea of stopping!

Great site by the way - I have spent far too much time checking out the project page! Some truly amazing machines. Many thanks

Cheers,

Alan

#4 ·
Not to discount Redliner, but lots of bikes have splitters like that. Personally, I prefer a splitter vs a super long banjo bolt retaining two lines to my master cylinder. Personal opinion,of course.

As far as moving the proper amount of fluid,I dunno. But I don't believe there is anything dangerous regarding a splitter.

#5 ·
Ok I see what you mean shinyribs. I was thinking of the style with the splitter/junction like the Spiegler 950/951 style line here where the line splits by the lower tree.

The only thing is the splitter is going to located way up by the top tree which I don't think would look very good. I don't know if there is a good way to shorten the lines to bring the splitter down more towards the fender.

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

#6 ·
I've seen a fair number of bikes including my 07 zx6r that run a double banjo on the right caliper. So you have one line down to the right caliper, and then a double banjo bolt there and a short line that goes over the front fender to the left caliper. I'm sure you could use the longer LEFT side line and run it to the right caliper then track down a really short one and pass it over the fender to the left caliper.

It doesn't look as clean as a splitter or double line, but it works well enough to race with. So why not?

#10 ·
Was just gonna say this, the other line just might be short enough to not look goofy as is.

My Daytona had a double banjo and a jumper line, and is generally said to have shit front brakes so I did the double line conversion when fitting dirty bars. Can't really say if it did that much since before the rwbuild the whole bike was a rolling turd but it's working now.

So it seems Alan already found a working solution, do share with us what it was.

Never seen a hose splitter myself, only either single down+double banjo or double lines.

#7 ·
Thanks chaps for all the input.

Im going to try Sevulturus' suggestion as I believe thats how the 'busa comes stock (seems to be the "free" one as I have all the neccesary bits I think..

I am perhaps just being slightly put off due to the bad press busa brakes tend to get. I suppose the bike is lighter and less powerful so I cannot see them being truly awful.

Cheers,

Alan

#9 ·
I bought brand new custom length, color and fitting brake lines for like $40 each not too long ago. Not a lot of money if you ask me. Venhall I think. VERY happy with them.They even give you banjo bolts and crush washers, all sorts of lengths and threads, even doubles too (included)

Don't ever try to cut and extend a line. You can cut and shorten a braided line if you have the know how and right components.

Basically you have four options from what I can see, ALL are buying new lines.

1) buy two full length hoses and double banjo to the master
2) buy one full length hose and run a double banjo on one caliper looped to the other side ( I don't care for this look personally)
3) use a splitter, where ever you like it, and buy hoses to fit that application.
4) relocate the stock splitter to where it makes the lines you have happy, and buy a short upper hose. This will likely make the splitter obvious and kind of an eye sore.

All of these involve buying something, so I don't think shelling out the ~$100 ~ is too much for arguably the most important component on your bike.

just my .02

So what ended up working for you?

#11 ·
As an addition to the great information here. I ordered a custom built speigler line. this was there 950, it allows you to choose proper banjo angles and lengths.

For me I have a short line from the master that runs behind the fairing to the stock triple clamp guide/mount. At this point it splits into two lines from a three way manifold. then two lines down to each caliper.

3 way pressed in brake line

all of the solutions are great just thought I would toss a couple more cents in

#12 ·
hey I was just thinking when I get home I'll post some pics of the complete line - it has not been installed yet, waiting on some custom fork brackets and the 3 banjo bolts they left out of the shipment. but it will show ya what its like at least. I'll be honest is was not the cheapest of solutions but its very high quality.

also on my setup the manifold is completely hidden behind the headlight shroud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.