Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas here. In a few months I will be building a jig for a Swingarm. I could make a simple one for just the arm I plan to build and do that every time I build one. Or build a nice one where I could build multiple arms of different styles, lengths and tire combos. Going with the nice one

Here is the hard part though. I want to be able to mount the rim and tire in the jig. But I don't want to build something that's so large its hard to store away when not used or that makes welding a pain.

The only thing I'm coming up with, is to use some thick plate . Cut a notch in one end for the rim and tire combo and make the length adjustable up at the pivot point with a series of drilled and tapped holes.

Anyone thought about doing this or have a better idea?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
No need to mount the whole wheel, just the axle. I'll post pics of the one I made for sssa next week

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts

i did use the wheel for mine because i was deciding between two different hubs ( triumph or a ducati with a spacer sleeve ) and wanted to keep the wheel centered on the centerline and move the hubs and wheelspacers as needed to keep it centered. it was just easier for me this way. less math to get wrong.
i did chip up the paint on the wheel pretty good clamping it to the jig body like that though.

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts

this was just for fit up mind you..
i tacked the main tubes in place on here then removed the piece and welded a super heavy, fixed jig out of steel to fit the tacked together structure so i could actually clamp the hell out of it to weld it. then moved it back to the t-slot extrusion to check for straightness and adjust by applying heat where needed until it pulled back straight.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I made a super simple swingarm jig that only uses the rear axle and swingarm pivot and made it out of some rectangle tube. I made a thread a while back. Don't think I ever added pics of it complete with all the fixture stuff though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts