Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done a SSSA conversion for my bike, the rear sprocket is to far out by roughly 5mm.

I tried putting spacers to bring out my front sprocket but then the circlip doesn't fit on and im assuming it will fall out.

Whats the other way i can bring the sprocket out to align without endangering myself with a less than sturdy sprocket?

I was going to get a new sprocket made with a bigger lip on the inside to push it out instead of spacers but i'd have the same problem.

Would it be a case of making a new longer countershaft of the transmission if thats possible?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending on your bike model offset sprockets are quite common. Or you could potentially have the sprocket hub turned down.

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a GS500. How would a offset sprocket work and keep itself on the countershaft?

Drill and tap the countershaft. Then put a bolt in it, then fit an outboard bearing, then machine up a brace for the frame and clearance it"
Thats from GStwins, Looking at a outboard bearing i'm struggling to see how that works.

I understand stuff more with pictures. Ill try get a picture of the whole alignment and countershaft tomorrow when theres some light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Offset-Sprockets-cln-Yamaha-fdsh-Kawasaki/Categories
Here is a link to a few pictures of an offset sprocket. Its a similar to your adding spacers idea. Basically the splined portion of the sprocket is a cup shape. So the sprocket is spaced out, yet your circlip will still go on correctly.
5mm is not very much and if you can find an offset sprocket for your bike with the correct offset, I wouldn't worry too much about an outboard bearing.
The outboard bearing is more needed for large horsepower bikes or really large offsets. I might be into using an outrigger bearing on my bike, but my sprocket will be offset in excess of 20mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts