Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hackjob
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellow crazies out there. Im heading to Japan soon for a few years and am planning to bring a bike (or two if i can) home with me along with an engine for my other project on the return to the states. I haven't done much research yet but i figured here is probably one of the better places to start asking questions. basically I'm curious of...

1. What bikes are friggin sweet that i might be able to find in asia that are hard to find in the US?

2. What parts should I consider bring back that may have value to other riders looking for hard to find components / upgrades?

3. What motorcycle gear / general stuff is worth investing in while I'm in japan?

Like i said i will be there for a few years and will be able to look around a bit, IDEALLY i would like to return with two motorcycles that are hard to find but won't break the bank so to speak. I realize that is very general and varies from person to person, but i would like to get the best bang for the buck!

All input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Every and all vintage cbr fairing parts you can round up. Specially 1kF hurricane nose cowls are coveted in the states as well as all mk1 600 parts. Bit tricky to ship though...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Think the Japanese get some very small displacement i4's we never see. Bit spendy without much point in the US (made mostly to wring out performance while under learner license limits) but having something that revs to 20k is fun.

·
Hackjob
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys I'm gonna start my homework tonight! Id say my limit is around 10K dollars total, whatever i can get with that, maybe a smidgen more will have to do. now i just gotta find the bikes haha.

·
Hackjob
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i read something about that with cars, the frames or some sort of safety features are not up to us code? is that the same with motorcycles too?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
classics if you can find them
cbr400rr "baby blade"
cbr250rr "the old inline 4 screamer one. whatever they called it. "
vfr400
gsx1400
blackbird 1200
yamaha 2 strokes (rz350 rz stuff. and yzr stuff)
honda 2 strokes (nsr 250 400, nsr stuff)
suzuki cappucino
nissan pulsar gti-r
honda beat
autozam az1 / suzuki cara / mazda az 550
minitrucks
daihatsu hi-jet

·
Registered
740 Posts
Do your homework, I've heard from several places that getting a JDM vehicle into the US (and getting a title for road use) is next to impossible.

You can claim it's for off-road/racing use only, or if you separate the engine and body, that it's for parts. In either case, any ID #'s are recorded and essentially banned from ever being registered or titled. Supposedly you can get in trouble for even attempting to register it.

You might be able to get away with it for a while, if you have it registered as a similar make/year of a bike that was sold in the US (i.e bought a titled frame, registered it, then put the plate and reg on the import). Just hope nobody ever checks the VIN on the reg against the bike, which cops have done to me twice when pulled over. If so, then you're fucked.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
early model evos and pre-2001 jdm subarus.
wonder how cheap you can get an nsx over there.
also 240, (silvias), ae86, rx7 any generation if its the right price, that sort of thing.
toyota x90 or x100
front wheel drive hondas and the like. pick your flavor. im sure theres something interesting.
nissan bluebird
toyota soarer
celica awd
I know you said bikes but you put a budget of 10k. just rattling off some ideas.

any of the cars that got completely obliterated by the drift craze over here that you might be able to find in original unrotted condition. Not that we dont already have them over here but definitely not a lot of nice original ones. Perhaps you can find a nice low mileage model thats been painstakingly maintained by the honorable hands of a real japanese feller.

·
BLACK BELT
7,068 Posts
You could sell good condition NS400Rs for a profit all day long. Registered or not.

Same with any TZ250 street bikes.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
things we already have here but they are getting sparse in good original condition and as such are gaining value... maybe you can find a nice cheap one over there.

1992-1995 cbr900rr nice overseas fireblade colors. that could fetch a decent price.
88-95 zx7
93-98 yzf750r
fzr 1000
yzf1000r thunderace
slingshots and slabsides.

All of these original "game changers" are going up in value. and getting rare to find unchopped. Any of these in good original japanese condition. Slightly irradiated. Could be worth a mint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts