Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking just flat plate over straight section with some holes drilled in plate and like "boomerang" shape plate over the angled section
would that be acceptable?

need some ideas how to do it correctly

something like in the drawing below
not sure where the holes supposed to be located

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
How far are you extending it? I've had good luck fitting a smaller piece of tube inside the frame as a slug, with holes drilled in the outer tube for rosette welds and welding it around the seams.
Did a rock crawler like that, and after being twisted on the trails in Colorado it's still going strong years later.

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How far are you extending it? I've had good luck fitting a smaller piece of tube inside the frame as a slug, with holes drilled in the outer tube for rosette welds and welding it around the seams.
Did a rock crawler like that, and after being twisted on the trails in Colorado it's still going strong years later.
I chopped cj7 frame in half and build my own rear section

im not sure where to drill the holes, over the joints or just on the side of the joints

yes ill weld around and inside of holes

·
3,993 Posts
We extended a CJ7 frame, then took the front of a CJ7 and back of a YJ tub and mated them together with some extra material in there behind the doors, to make a Scrambler length crawler. SBC350 engine, 42's, blah blah blah.
Trust me, the sleeve/slug method is the way to go. Drill the outer for rosettes, give yourself a good 8-10" of overlap between the two pieces, and weld the fuck out of it. Far stronger than plating the sides around the seams as you're indicating in that drawing.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
We extended a CJ7 frame, then took the front of a CJ7 and back of a YJ tub and mated them together with some extra material in there behind the doors, to make a Scrambler length crawler. SBC350 engine, 42's, blah blah blah.
Trust me, the sleeve/slug method is the way to go. Drill the outer for rosettes, give yourself a good 8-10" of overlap between the two pieces, and weld the fuck out of it. Far stronger than plating the sides around the seams as you're indicating in that drawing.
So may jeeps here and no one posts fookin pics :fu:

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's little too late for that haha

·
3,993 Posts
Are you plating the rest of it or just that outer side?
You really ought to box it in... or, cut holes with a holes saw through the frame and shove chunks of tube through, welding around them to the frame, then put the plates on and box the frame in and weld the tubes to those too along with rosettes holding the plates to the frame.

I miss rock crawling.

So may jeeps here and no one posts fookin pics :fu:
All my old pics are on my other computer, which is sitting in a dungeon guarded by a fire-breathing, half-crazy..... I dunno where I'm going with that. It's at my other house with my ex.
Here's an old video though. Van's buggy is the black one at the beginning with the airbrushed hood. His ex's son (like 13 or 14yo at the time) is driving the bright red buggy that comes in behind Van a few minutes into the vid. IIRC both were powered by SBC350's, with Atlas or Dana twin sticks, kingpin 60's, blah blah blah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvFNk1PnUU

·
3,993 Posts
Found some pics. Here's a Scrambler on Chinaman's Gulch that picked a shitty line... or driver... and took forever to make it up the obstacle. I flew up it shortly after in a mid-level-build XJ like it was nothing. That was fun :D

Here's said XJ:
I don't remember that girl's name, but I do remember banging her out in the back at the top of the trail.

Here's an MJ truggy that was built by a local Jeep forum member, than sold to another member, then to another, and I think another after that.

And a 2-door XJ that was chopped by the same guy that built the truggy...

This is a super clean 79 CJ7 that I picked up for dirt cheap. Ended up selling it because I felt it was too pretty to beat up on the trails, and I like shit I can use.

Another local guy. IIRC it's sitting on D44's and I think coilovers (this was all 2005-2010). Search for Stupidru on YouTube for videos.

Here's another chopped XJ getting a little tippy, I think we were down by Colorado Springs somewhere.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. How's the frame coming along OP?

·
fuck your face
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you plating the rest of it or just that outer side?
You really ought to box it in... or, cut holes with a holes saw through the frame and shove chunks of tube through, welding around them to the frame, then put the plates on and box the frame in and weld the tubes to those too along with rosettes holding the plates to the frame.

I miss rock crawling.

All my old pics are on my other computer, which is sitting in a dungeon guarded by a fire-breathing, half-crazy..... I dunno where I'm going with that. It's at my other house with my ex.
Here's an old video though. Van's buggy is the black one at the beginning with the airbrushed hood. His ex's son (like 13 or 14yo at the time) is driving the bright red buggy that comes in behind Van a few minutes into the vid. IIRC both were powered by SBC350's, with Atlas or Dana twin sticks, kingpin 60's, blah blah blah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvFNk1PnUU
I plated bottom and top too

·
3,993 Posts
Ok, so you've effectively boxed in the frame. Good. I'd repeat the process on all the high-stress areas of the frame too, not just the spliced part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts